Proto Chopper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This project started a long time ago....but I ran into many different problems then life got in the way....you all know the speal! lol

I went looking for the old thread but was unable to find it :roll: so I thought I would just start over for the new members to the site :mrgreen:

this will be a little long....sorry

It started with this one off bike frame from Norco that never when into production

IMG_1531-1.jpg

I really liked the rear tire on the Schwinn Stingrays! and I had to have it on this build
but first I had to make it fit!

IMG_1942-1.jpg

IMG_1941-1.jpg

to make things easier I also had to steal the rear frame bracket...

IMG_1944-1.jpg

IMG_1947-2.jpg

IMG_1948-1.jpg

IMG_2953-1.jpg

The next add on was that I wanted to make disk brakes for this ride! But how when they do not make hubs this big?

Thats right......we "Rat Rod it!!" :mrgreen:

I started with an old DH front hub and went from there

IMG_2980-1.jpg

I just needed the bracket that held the rotor SSSSsssoooooo

IMG_2987-1.jpg

with a little mesurement I bored out the braket to fit over the Schwinn hub!

IMG_2988-1.jpg

IMG_2989.jpg

IMG_2992-1.jpg

IMG_2993-1.jpg

So this is were it all came to an end......the front sprocket would not line up with the rear hub (not that I did not realize this when I started, but I thought with a little bit of help from all of you guys we all could find a solution in time) however none really worked well. So the bike went to the back of the pile till the right solution presented it's self :?

The other day while working on my DH I belive I came up with a solution!

By using the rear Hub from an old DH rim and by using spacers from the BMX world I build a cool little transmission!!
IMG_7347.jpg

IMG_7349.jpg

now to mount it!
IMG_7362.jpg

IMG_7354.jpg

IMG_7356.jpg

here it is all lined up!

IMG_7367-1.jpg

what is cool with this set up is that I can mount a short cage de-railer to the frame and then I can make a three speed out of it! and it will still drive the rear Hub! how cool is that :mrgreen:
IMG_7368.jpg

IMG_7369.jpg

IMG_7371.jpg

there you have it for now......more to fallow! plus I have more to do on the Weki Tiki!

FW

Thanks! I thought I would get some pictures of the bike out side for its test run. I'm running 44T front and 18T mid ...then 14T -14T to the back. The Boy says its real nice

IMG_3771.jpg

IMG_3772.jpg

IMG_3773.jpg

IMG_3775.jpg

As you can see I will need to make up a chain tentioner.....with any luck I will have the brakes on tonight so that he can stop!

I know were is the helmet!? sorry!

FW

yeah, the kid looks pretty pleased with that bike. nothing like having the absolute coolest bike in the neighborhood, huh? :D

i wasn't sure what that sprocket arrangement was at first. very nice work! but that portion of tube above the handlebars bothers me, though. that could seriously ruin some teeth, or worse, in an accident, couldn't it?

UncleKudzu said:
that portion of tube above the handlebars bothers me, though. that could seriously ruin some teeth, or worse, in an accident, couldn't it?
stick a skull on it :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

yeah i saw the uncut steer tube and then i read theres no brakes yet :shock: and thought........'i hope hes got dental insurance'!
looks great now get the boy some brakes working :wink:

UncleKudzu
that could seriously ruin some teeth, or worse, in an accident, couldn't it?

you are very much right! It was only "one lap" to test the drive train no more!!!......but have no fear.....there is alot more to be done! next is the brakes ....but then this!!!!

MRKFORK_upright_small.jpg

oh ya!

then I have a cool lizard skin seat in mind for this build!

I love it when a plan comes together
han1.jpeg

FW

very nice work on the "Jackshaft". Great ideal using a freehub. No different that fine tuning the spacing for a single speed.

Ok the next problem...how do I take the slack out of the front chain??? as it is now I can't make it any tighter by design ....so I needed a chain tentioner!

SANY0083.jpg

So I went down to the LBS and picked up a chain tentioner for a DH 3 pce crank

SANY0082.jpg

heres the idea
SANY0084.jpg

A little bit of cutting....chopping...welding :D

SANY0081.jpg

and there you have it! :mrgreen:

SANY0086.jpg

what is nice about this is that I can move the wheel up and down for the desirable tention and to remove the chain for repairs.

I also made the braket for the rear brake caliper and started to work out how to bolt it on :D

FW

Hello all!

Sorry for the time delay on this build! It has been on the back burnner :roll:

However over the winter "My Dad" did a real nice base clear Midnight Blue on the frame and a added a Cobra hood for "my son" for his X-mass Present! it turned out real nice.....but now I'm left with some new design ideas

SANY0687.jpg

SANY0693.jpg

SANY0685.jpg

SANY0694.jpg

RotationofSANY0688.jpg

sorry I cant remember who did it! But I had to do the same on the underside of my fender as well :mrgreen:

RotationofSANY0689.jpg

next is some more bling! :shock:

the sprocket is a one pce raw aluminum that needed polishing

CLUE2020.jpg

I still have more sanding and polishing yet to go...and the rear rim has even more sanding and polishing :? but it will be worth it :D not sure what colour the spokes should be? :? ideas

SANY0684.jpg

FW

Holy Cow that's nice! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I like the photo of the kid on it (even without the helmet) with the big grin. Gotta be the coolest one on the block.

Keep postin' the progress!

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

That is a very cool bike Murray great job, your son will deffinatly be riding the coolest bike in town. I also love the fact that it is a family project, Grandpa's paint job looks awsome, can't wait to see what you do with the seat...Kelly

Latest posts

Back