The Mothership AKA '08 Kiddie "Space" Crate

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my buddy Paddy as Obilix at the carnival.My son Liam beside him.
3302778677_876a6571a8.jpg

3303608922_1d551d7552.jpg

Yeah,thanks for the compliments I'll be happier when the fuselage gets painted black tho.
Maybe there should be a kids trailer build-off......???

Whats an " Obilix " is it a cartoon character? i seem to remember seeing a pic somewhere.

I love it, and you seem to be really itching to paint it, but I wouldn't. I love the bare aluminum. But then again I am an Airstream owner. How about you pain the half sphere black and leave the aluminum? Or what if you paint the half sphere as a black and white spiral? or ....

Or you could do what you want since it's yours. :oops: sorry.

No,hey,you might be right,I'd love the bare aluminium too but it's just a toss up for the nose........possibly in four quadrants ,black,white,black white,like four pieces of an orange,know what I mean? I think some of the very first space rockets were checkered like that too.Zeppelin-like.I can always try it first and if it's no good I can just spray everything again.
An old colleague told me they make fibre-glass impregnated with aluminium so that when you're finished the thing will look like aluminium,maybe that's a possibility.Couple more layers of that stuff on top and it might start looking like something.

Deinitely polished aluminum. I was going to suggest it in my last reply then I decided to keep my mouth shut for once! It does have an airstream look to it.

Well what's the best (easiest) way to polish something like this? I was a sheet metal worker but eveything I did got painted. I suppose just a buffer wheel and a lot of elbow grease.
Was on a website called http://www.r-g.de/en/,it's German but you can get change it to English and I found some "designer"fibre glass cloth some of which has a layer of Aluminium on it so when your finished you'll get a shiny finish but you will see the weave pattern,but I don't think that would be a big deal....there's even a cloth that's gold colour!!! Not gonna pimp it just yet though..The trade name of the cloth is texalium.
Glad I asked you guys for some direction I think the polished aluminium look is worth a try.

Just in case anyone was interested,here's the trailer with the roof in the right position and wheel covers sprayed silver.... some hammock style seats are in the prototype stages :D
3339217548_a92b835597_b.jpg

3339227936_26af7ebed9_b.jpg

4494154969_4e4d8da9f5_b.jpg

Looks better with black wheels but my daughter wanted red side out today

They still like it alright, my daughter is 4 and she gets a kick out of all the people looking at her in the thing

IMG_1495 by Smudgery, on Flickr
We know a Straight 8 should be black but......needs a couple of decals here and there....definitely open to suggestions

IMG_1499 by Smudgery, on Flickr

Red chain.....chain guard might need to go......

IMG_0240 by Smudgery, on Flickr

Couple of new stripes......I think the lid should be about 3 inches lower......

IMG_0228 by Smudgery, on Flickr

No pics!

Yeah I've been trying to insert links to pics on Flickr.com but it doesn't seem to be working, what am I doin wrong?

Latest posts

Back