1960's Mattel Stallion - To Rat or Not To Rat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I never really noticed, the whole bottom of the frame is a swing arm. I had a V-RROOM motor back in the day, thought I was cool! 8) Of course I had to take it apart to see how it worked. On the electric motors shaft was a round disc, about 1 1/2", with 3 or 4 loose roller like things, that beat on a plastic Cozy-like cup refill's bottom, anybody remember Cozy Cups?

0e39_1.jpg

Quanah said:
I guess I never really noticed, the whole bottom of the frame is a swing arm....

You're right about that. It's all held together by the rear shocks. If the hardware is worn, you get a lot of side to side sway.
I took mine apart and updated all the old hardware in this area with new bolts, washers and nylock nuts... great improvement and much more solid now.
Also took the shocks apart and greased them while I was at it. Here's a couple of pics that illustrate how the swing arm frame is held up by the shocks.

100_3666.jpg

100_3668.jpg

I just found one yesterday but I am new here & I can not see a place where I can download any pictures.
Any help?
Thanks

Godspeed said:
I just found one yesterday but I am new here & I can not see a place where I can download any pictures.
Any help?
Thanks

Godspeed...You need to fist down load pictures to a server like photo bucket or something similar...and then copy and paste a link to that site..on that post that you are posting..I hope that makes sense..

Godspeed said:
Any help?
Thanks

this has been updated with pics and it pretty easy to follow. let us know if you need any help.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=172

musclemaniac that is a really really cool bike. i like how the downtubes resemble pipes! that cleaned up really nicely, i thought that second pic was a whole different bike :shock:

Latest posts

Back