Apes and Tall bike illegal in California?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote="ElChupacabra
They are trying to pass all kinds of crazy bike laws this month in Philadelphia because some idiot pedestrian stepped in front a bicycle and actually died from his injuries....

are you for real :!: were can i find more ifo on that :?:

i have known about the ape law for a long time they dont enforce it and i doubt many know about it anyways. then again most of mine are drop bar style so i guess i dont have a problem but i used to run tall apes on my bikes and never had an issue

Most states that had these laws, still have them. Just like laws about spitting on sidewalk or tieing up your horse in a certain place, the laws are still on the books. It's just that many cops overlook these infractions either because they don't have the time or they just don't wanna hassle the bicyclist who's behaving himself. Start getting stupid on a tallbike or apehangered beast and watch how fast you find out if your area has this law. Pretty much any custom bike draws attention, whether it 's good or bad depends on how stupid you wanna get! In any state, cops can and will ticket you and posibbly impound your bike if they feel you or your bike is unsafe.

Here's a similar discussion about tallbikes ...
http://www.forum.freakbikenation.com/ph ... f=1&t=2169

The real shame is that (as in all aspects of life) we got some real idiots out their claiming to represent everyone!

Chainy, That tall Trike that guy posted is crazy. Trike are inherently tippy from the start. I can't imagine adding leverage to make tippier.

You guys know why DUI's are the number one traffic offense ticket written by cops nationwide? Cause its a guaranteed money maker for the state! In some states cops are given incentives to write more DUI tickets. The next time you get a ticket for speeding or talking on your cell phone or even not wearing your seat belt, look on the ticket for anywhere that it says what the fine is for bicycle infractions. Last I checked its just not there. I very seriously doubt any cop, veteran or rookie, is even going to know what the law code's are or what the fine could possibly be for someone riding a bicycle with too long a handlebar.

Crazy laws are put onto books every few years that we have extreme left wing Democrats in any office, state or federal. I think its their motto, "The more government control, the better off we'll all be!" Well I say Horse Poo! Not exactly but that what I can get away with here. I really like New Hampshire's motto as it's written on all their license plates. "Live free or Die!" No helmet laws, no mandatory insurance laws, no Seat-belt laws... Why can't we all live by that motto?
-
Later T

Dead right once again Chainy, we've still got an old law that says that it is legal to urinate on the back left wheel of a carriage if you are in the town centre.. :shock:
As far as bicycle laws go, I find that as long as you're not being a senseless idiot, then the coppers tend to let it slide. I've never worn a helmet in my life, and like to think that if I'm stupid enough to get in the way of a car then I probably deserve a cracked head. Unfortunately there will always be some oxygen thief that thinks not his responsibility to be responsible :roll: . Let natural selection take its course I reckon :lol: :lol:

Working as a bartender/bouncer for many years, I can tell you all that whether you're driving a car or riding a bicycle, if you're drunk, you're drunk ! The penalty may not be as stiff but you can still expect a hefty fine while bicycling drunk if you get caught. Most likely your bike will be impounded. In one case I know of two drunk bicyclists that not only got pulled over and taken in but a towtruck was called and the bikes loaded and taken to impound! It must have sucked to pay all them fees for just a couple of bikes! Reckless driving, impaired vision, public drunkenss are all possibilities no matter whether you're in a car or on a bike or even walking down the side of the road. Now add in the fact that your bike has some handlebars that the cop just happens to rmember reading about in some old law manual on it and the fun begins.

Lights on bikes for night riding are mandatory in a lot of states but very seldom is this enforced. Same with reflectors. But happen to come upon the wrong cop and bam! Now he's got your fully ticked out bike in front of him, you're a little pissed and say the wrong thing and out comes a measuring device. Your handlebars are a little long, maybe you got some sharp pointy spikes sticking out where a pedestrian can get injured and your butt's got some explaining to do! Ticket or warning? Again if you present yourself as kind of a bike thug, expect to get something for it.

Because of the many bike paths and trails, I would expect the guys from Florida, California and a couple of other states know of a few overly ambious cops who know and look for these bike laws. Also college town cops are probably more than happy to point out these laws if you're out at the wrong time. The more that bicycles are used amongst traffic, the more the cops are gonna be up on bikes laws.

I grew up with many friends and family members in law enforcement. Most cops are looking out for your safety and the safety of others. I feel it's o.k. to take the chances that we do with our bike builds, but always be aware that you may be in the wrong and accept it. Probably 96% of the cops out there are real people and enjoy the same things that you do. The other 4% probably work in your town! :mrgreen: Also if you do have any bike/cop problems be polite and friendly. I don't care what problems you cause for yourself but remember the rest of us. Don't give us all a bad name!

Drunk cycling.... yep, you can get a ticket for that in Connecticut too.

And it's probably a good thing. Basically it's public drunkenness. Our town has an ordinance prohibiting drinking alcohol "on city streets". I occasionally skirt this law as I walk on the public sidewalk a few feet from my front steps to my driveway... never been ticketed yet. :)

But I did witness two events, both of which were examples of operating a bicycle while intoxicated, one about 10 years ago and one about 3 months ago. Both ended up with us calling the police and the police helping (not ticketing) the drunk.

During a very busy night in town, our fireworks night (see my pics in the Events page if you want to see how amazing they are over the river), we were all done, home around midnight, and a guy on a bike came flying down the hill by my house, through the intersection, which is a T at the bottom of a hill... he made the left turn and struck the curb across from my house, flew off his bike and landed pretty much in a pile on the sidewalk. Not moving. Face down, more or less. Lucky for him he was already in a drunk stupor when he hit so he didn't feel much. A minute later his friend rides down after him, and we were already out checking out his condition. Didn't look too bad for his 10 foot flying dismount and drunk-sleep-tumble onto the grass and sidewalk. The police, EMT's and ambulance were on the way already. "No policia!" was what his friend kept saying and I thought, this should be fun.

In the end it took about 20 minutes with the EMT's to get him conscious and walking, and his friend took him back ... somewhere... and came back an hour later for the bikes. The man could easily have gotten killed going through that intersection with all the thousands of cars out that night.

This past October we saw a guy coming down the street on his bike, junky old mountain bike, late at night, and approaching us from the side at a 4-way stop. He got about 10 feet from the sign and fell over in the road. I thought he hit something so stayed and watched for a minute. A car was coming behind him. He fell down by the bike, middle of the road, and couldn't get back up. My wife went and checked on him. The other lady driving by stopped and got out to help. (She was a nurse it turned out.) I called the police to let them know the guy was in danger to himself out on the road and they said they would send the EMT's by to check him out. We got him sitting on the sidewalk - he really couldn't do anything else except moan and lie there. No clue how he'd gotten as far as he did on the bike.

The really bad thing for us when driving is that it's easy to be involved in an accident with a cyclist who's not in control. And he's likely to get badly hurt or killed, and even if it's not your fault, that's on your mind forever.

One recent ordinance change in our state is the "Share The Road" law, which pretty much makes it the responsibility of a driver to avoid contact with a pedestrian, cyclist, horse, or agricultural vehicle using the road. The rule is a 3-foot safe passing distance, which seems reasonable till you realize how narrow many of the roads here are. Virtually all our rural roads have no shoulders or breakdown lanes, and too much traffic to be safe. In the city, the parked cars on the sides of the road make a different deadly hazard. Still, awareness of motorists responsibilities around bicycles can only help. See http://www.sharetheroadct.org for more details.

--Rob

Latest posts

Back