lowering a 26'' cruiser???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was wondering the easiest to way to lower a 26''cruiser frame i understand the bent springers will do that but do i have to change wheel sive and if i do will the cranks need to be different too? I am a total noob at this besides just the basic maintanence.
IMG_1876.jpg

A bent springer will lower it about 5", but will also change the handling significantly. It is an easy bolt on, the only thing you need to change is the front end.

http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

theres a good reference of the "hood rat", just a 26" bent springer with 26" wheels front and back. you can do a search for his "key rat" too, its got 26" wheels with a straight 24" springer without the spring in it so the tire clears(looks like a bent springer). if you put a bent springer and smaller wheels youll probly gonna need a shorter crank too !!! i belive the ones pictured will scrape pedals on turns at top/bottom position with the standard cranks in em.

do you want the rear lower than the front? or level? orfront lower than the rear (jacked-up)?

was going for level. just wanted to ask before i ordered anything and felt silly when i got the wrong stuff. gonna stick with my 26'' wheels too keep cost down.

cut or brake welds red arrow -----bend in green arrow direction reweld
framemods-1.jpg

use aka_joe method very suttle ..people scratch heads wundering ??? something is diffrent ??..or mine
IMG_0013Cx5-1.jpg

either way same method :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) 8) you will need shorter arms ....HAVE FUN :mrgreen:

I'd weld horizontal bmx dropouts slightly higher up on the frame, so it drops the whole thing down. You can get the frame almost sitting on the ground if you use 20" wheels

To drop the front down, either rake the head tube, use a bent springer, or weld the dropouts higher up on the fork

yoyofro--I cut the head tube almost all the way off, just a little left under bottom tube , sectioned top tube layed down head tube , had it rewelded----rake

low_life---the rear tire is a felt -thick brick 24x3 got at my Local Bike Shop took about 3 months hard to get . felt wont sell to public so-- bug, bug ,bug youre LBS and hope for the best and iff!! they get any TELL US :!: :mrgreen:

I took a pipe bender to my springers. I didn't want to do full lowrider style but I wanted something different. I tried to match the top and bottom bends and kept installing the wheel to check for clearance. Here's before and after:

spec_bomber.jpg

144spokes005.jpg

I hope this helps. :mrgreen:

Hey october, Do ur apes slip with that headset? I need 2 get a new set up.

Latest posts

Back