Track Racer on the cheap.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the comments. I got the wheels today. Luckily they're true and in good shape. Hubs need to be rebuilt but no big deal. I also got a front brake, but that's not really working the way I wanted.

SSG said:
Thanks for the comments. I got the wheels today. Luckily they're true and in good shape. Hubs need to be rebuilt but no big deal. I also got a front brake, but that's not really working the way I wanted.

We must have some pictures :mrgreen: I know I personally am dying to see this finished, as I'm sure many others are!

I stopped by the bike shop today and got a set of the cheapest tires and tubes, put them on and then rebuilt the hubs. I also got some random hardware to finish up any loose ends. I still need to get some cloth handlebar tape,pull the stickers off the rims and sand the tire logos off but I should be able to take it for the first ride tomorrow weather permitting. Here's as it sits right now.
track15.jpg

I really like the way this one rides! It's so quiet and smooth. Here's a better outdoor pic. Before anyone says it, I realize the chain is really loose in the picture.
track19.jpg

oh ya, that came out great. sanding off the tire logos, great idea. that's one of the things i don't like about my pre WWII BFGoodrich...

3966213337_eed833a8e3_b.jpg

One of the pedal caps was missing so I added some bling. I picked up two of these copper pipe ends.
pipecap1.jpg

I trimmed them down and peened the inner edge over a bit. For pedal caps they're pretty attractive and give the bike a little contrasting color. They would also make very nice bar ends.
pedalcap1.jpg

looks sweet! is it fixie? i see you have the flip-flop hub.

ahhh. good to be safe, but i left off brakes on my fixie to keep the look of ultra-simple, bare bones bike. :lol: was kind of a compromise.

This bike is great. Having a kid, mortgage and all the related expenses, I appreciate lo-buck builds. Especially where theres a bunch of homemade parts. Whats the total cost so far? the lower, the better in my book.
Nice work on a well crafted, ridable bike.

The total for this bike comes out to $244, not so cheap. Certainly a bit more than I intended to spend. If you started with a complete bike you could save quite a bit, since something like $80 of the total was shipping. In the end I feel its still fairly reasonable though considering I could have spent that much just buying the adjustable stem, rather than making it.

Does anyone know how he stripped thta paint? A true gentlemans bicycle. I am making one right now that looks a LOT like it! Awesome job, SSG!

I used a chemical paint stripper, lay down a sheet of plastic and spray/brush that stuff on and the paint curls up and comes right off. Then take a scraper to the tough areas. Don't get the paint remover on you or breath the fumes.

Latest posts

Back