Oops! Oversprayed clear coat.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I'm back from outer space after months of being away, and I have a question.

I am SOOOO close to finishing my first ever project bike (yes, I started it 9 months ago). I just did it for fun...just to have a cool old cruiser to ride around, say I painted it myself, and, let's admit it, turn a few heads. The thing is not worth anything except to me. :) The creme Fat Franks are in the mail and I just can't wait to put it back together!

I basically just repainted a postwar Western Flyer to suit my fancy. The paint turned out really well for my first rattlecan job. I clear-coated it today, and that went pretty well too....except for the overspray. When I was finished I was in an absolute cloud of it (wearing a NIOSH mask of course). I realized too late that that cloud settled on all the wet bike parts. :oops:

Now there is this annoying dusty overspray texture on the fenders.

How can I gently, carefully, get that off? They still look great but at a certain angle they look dusty.

Thanks in advance for the help!

You can try wet sanding with very fine sandpaper. 1400 grit would be the coarsest I would use.
You will have to go to an auto body supply store to find fine enough sandpaper.

2manybikes said:
You can try wet sanding with very fine sandpaper. 1400 grit would be the coarsest I would use.
You will have to go to an auto body supply store to find fine enough sandpaper.

I have some 2000. I've never wet sanded before and have heard it can be risky business...but if I go about it very gently perhaps it will work.

Hugo said:
Instead of sanding, you could try some polishing compound.

Hugo

Ah - like the same rubbing compound you'd use if you had a scuff in the clear coat of your car?

Something of the sort. It may get the job done and there is less risk of damaging your paint. Try it first, nothing to loose.

Hugo

Hugo said:
Something of the sort. It may get the job done and there is less risk of damaging your paint. Try it first, nothing to loose.

Hugo
Hugo has a good point. If you get some fine cut rubbing compound it will knock off the fuzz, but shouldn't cut through the clear coat. If that doesn't work try the 2000 grit in a spot that won't be seen, like under the bottom bracket. Just be sure to sand lightly and don't spend very much time in any one spot.

Ok - thanks for the tips. :)

One more question on the clear coat...how long does it need to cure before I can put the bike back together?

I used SprayMax 2K urethane, it was a 2-part in an aerosol can you needed to activate/mix.

i would wait a few days, maybe like 4 just to be sure. ive had wheels take a whole week to fully dry. :roll:

Fireproof said:
Hey Annika! Glad you're back! :D
That SprayMax sounds interesting. Please let us know how it well it looks and polishes, okay?

It came out amazing. Any rough areas and orange peel are due to the fact that I'm a total amateur and was working in poor lighting. :)
The SprayMax is really high quality stuff and I'd definitely use it again! It dried enough for me to carry the bike parts indoors within a few hours, but I waited longer because they were still out-gassing.

I still haven't rubbed that fender yet...will do it before I put it on. We built 85% of the bike back together this afternoon...it's making me giddy I want to ride it so bad. :lol: The crankset, steer tube/fork, chain, wheels, creme Fat Franks and seat are all on. When the UPS man brings my ebay handlebar stem and fender braces, the bike will be ready to ride! All I need to do is reattach the headbadge! We measured the rivet holes and my dad is going to get me some tap-in brass rivets.

The colors on this thing....stellar. I am so happy with the color theme. I will show you guys soon! I am a "no peeking till it's done" kinda gal!

Latest posts

Back