Tools for Newbies Custom Builds or Restorations

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggested tools for Newbies, for custom builds or restorations!

I just wanted to post a list of tools to help others get started making there own bikes or working on their own bikes. I had no tools when I started so I had to do a lot of shopping and this list is a lot of what I picked up. You may or may not need these tools to make a bike but all will help in some way.

Do not feel like you need all these tools to start you really do not! you just need a couple of tools like a good Angle Grinder and a Welder! but more tools never hurt anyone!

Safety comes first I would not skip anything in this list!

[Safety]

* Safety Goggle/Face Shield
* Work Gloves
* Welding Helmet (Auto-Darkening is a plus)
* Welding Gloves
* Ear Protection for high noise

Basic things you will need for your Angle Grinder. Many people recommend having more then one Angle Grinder so you will not have to keep changing your discs all the time. If you can pick them up cheap I would get at lest two.

[Angle Grinder]

* Heavy Duty 4-1/2" Angle Grinder
* Grinding Wheels for Metal
* Cut-off Wheels for Metal
* 60 Grit Flap Discs

A good drill helps to drill all them holes you will need!

[Drill]

* 1/2" Heavy Duty Drill
* Drill Bits for metal up to 1/2 inch

you will need to pick a welder based on how you want to weld there are so many options out there I recommend searching the forums for more information on welding before you go out and buy one.

[Welder]

* 80 Amp Inverter Arc Welder/90 Amp Flux Wire Welder (Welder is your choose look around the forums for more information)
* Welding Helmet (Auto-Darkening is a plus)
* Welding Gloves
* Straight Chipping Hammer
* Wire Stainless Steel Brush
* 6013 Welding Rod (If using a stick welder)

Bike tools to help you take a part bikes and put them back together.

[Bike Tools]

* Spoke Wrench
* Chain Tool
* Tire Levers
* Crank Tool
* Cassette Tool

Other tools all optional but they all have there uses.

[Other Tools] (Optional)

* Adjustable Wrenchs
* Metric/SAE Wrench Sets
* Ratchet Set
* Screw Drivers
* Hex Wrench Set
* Ball Pen Hammers
* Hacksaw
* 4" Swivel Vice or larger
* Vice Grips
* Clamps
* Round Metal File
* Tape Measure
* Muli-Square
* Angle Square

I hope someone finds this helpful.
Peace Crazy Horse!

Thanks to all the people who have helped & continue to help me figure out what I would need!

udallcustombikes said:
Good list. I would also suggest a set of flat wrenches to fit the cone nuts on your hubs, awful hard to adjust or rebuild wheels without them.
Thanks and please do add to this list as it's only as good as the information that we share here!
Peace Crazy Horse.

One of those magnet on a stick things is always handy for extacting ball bearings from hubs before they fall on the floor.

disposable gloves for dirty work, rags, rags, rags, couple of punch tools are always handy for stuff, WD-40 / PB blaster (or both).

Barnett's Manual.

Wow !!!! I guess I need a few more tools...here's mine 1. Air compressor 2. Air Tools 3. Vise 4. Sledge hammer 5. Vise grips 6. set of metric rachet wrenches 7 Chain Breaker 8. Spoke Wrench 9.Goggles 10. Crowbar 11. lots and lots of rags 12. lots of pb blast and bearing grease...

I said this before.........BAND-AIDS....lots. Don't forget a fire extinguisher.

About the Auto Darkening welding helmet...

Most welders have their own preference, but if you do buy a auto darkening version, Make sure its a quality unit, I know from first hand experience when a Harbor Freight auto darkening helmet didnt auto darken and it ended up burning my eyes. I got the helmet as a gift, but after that I switched back over to my fixed lens.

Don't necessarily need these for builds, but when working on my project I couldn't get enough of the Dremel tool (to sand tiny parts or in corners, and to clean rust out of the insides of tubes) and also the Black & Decker Mouse, a hand-held vibrating sander. Helped strip paint and smooth bumps, and makes quick work of sanding body filler. And you gotta have one of those flexible rubber blades to apply body filler on curvy areas.

Sandpaper in a ton of different grits on-hand so you can always grab what you need.

VOC MASK! The stuff that works best to paint and restore bikes is extremely poisonous and NASTY! Change the filters often!

Those foam sanding blocks available in various grits from Lowe's or Home Depot.

They have angled edges to get down in tight places, and also bend to conform to rounded or irregular surfaces.

I was always a sheet sandpaper and sanding block kind of guy, but one try of the foam blocks converted me quickly.

Jerry

Ratfink1962 said:
About the Auto Darkening welding helmet...

Most welders have their own preference, but if you do buy a auto darkening version, Make sure its a quality unit, I know from first hand experience when a Harbor Freight auto darkening helmet didnt auto darken and it ended up burning my eyes. I got the helmet as a gift, but after that I switched back over to my fixed lens.
the h.f. ones are solar charging(so are many other even the high end stuff) so if they sit in the dark for any length of time theyre junk.
just set them in the sun for about an hour once a week and theyll last fine as long as you dont let the solar panel completely drain...if you do toss it and get a new one
but yeah youre right its good to have a back up that you know wont burn you!

great list! i need to get some of the tools. As far as welding stuff, really auto darkening welding helmets are not needed at all, parts for them are more money, and they cost more initially. They also are sometimes a pain in the butt to get working properly and as ratfink said, if it doesnt work u can burn your eyes. i have an auto and a regular helmet, dont get me wrong the auto is nice but it doesnt make me a better welder. If your a hobby welder, stick to a regular jackson helmet or equivalant and spend your saved money on your bikes. just my 2cents.

a plan,chop saw,files,cut off wheel(pneumatic 3" work the best in my $.01),tubing cutter,tubing notcher,hole saws,tape measure,angle locator,magnets,levels,plum bob and string,welder,a level table or work space,some kind of a jig,sharpies,beer,and most of all,a brain(and the sense to use it :wink: )

Latest posts

Back