29ers'

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
just got a new taxtime toy... a 2010 specialized hardrock sport 29er (only $500) with 29" wheels, disc brakes, susp forks and more gears than i would ever need (maybe) and was wondering if any of you guys (or gals) ridden much with 29's, and if so, what are your thoughts? so far, i like em' (alot). thanks.

We really like our Globe (Specialized) Hybrids with the 700c wheels. They measure out to about 27 inches tread to tread. Sounds like you got a very sweet bike.

I have two 29ers and won't mountain bike on 26" wheels any more. My single speed is a 2007 Haro Mary SS with an On One carbon fork. The geared bike is a 2007 Salsa El Mariachi with a 1x9 drivetrain.

2008 GT Peace 9r multi, sweet but the Shimano M525 rear hub sucks will be building either a Banshee Paradox or Soul Cycle Dillinger next.

IMG_1135.jpg

TheFlyingDingo said:
How is the Haro Mary?

The Mary is an excellent XC bike for the money. Its not the lightest bike due to the wheels, but the geometry is real nice with a very compliant rear triangle. (My Salsa's rear triangle beats me up on the same trails)

I have never had issues with the eccentric bottom bracket creaking or moving. The only real issue I had was the original rear hub which failed on me after 1500 miles. I had the rear rim relaced with double butted spokes and a Hope Trials/SS hub...now its bomb proof.

Upgrades over stock on mine is an On One carbon fork, BB7 brakes (comes stock with BB5s), Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4 front tire, WTB Nanoraptor rear tire, Shimano M540 clipless pedals, Surly 18T cog, and a Selle Italia Flite saddle. Bike now weighs 25 pounds compared to the ~28 pounds when new.

sweet machines!!! i have had a handfull of cannondales, specializes, diamondbacks and a few marins, all 26ers and my 29er feels best off road... and on, too. i was just there looking for new tires for my GT outpost trail (26)... but, i guess new bikes come with new tires. thanks for the feed back! :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back