Powder Coating pricing

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I'm getting some estimates for sandblasting and powdercoating a project. I'm kind of curious about what these costs look like in other parts of the nation (and beyond?).

The parts I'm proposing to have done are:

1 Frame
1 pair Forks
2 Rims (dismantled)
2 Fenders (no braces)

So far I have the following responses:

Estimate #1: $175.00 - $250.00 (local place, includes custom ordering powder $55.00)
Estimate #2: $225.00 (1 hour drive)
Estimate #3, $375.00 (1 hr drive)
Estimate #4: $150.00 (1 hr drive)

Funny thing is, I checked Google last week to find a powder coater in Holland for some parts on my Basman, and to my surprise I ended up with a powder coater in my home town...only 200 meters from where I work :mrgreen: never knew the guy was there. Apparently he does bikeframes for €60 to €75. The blasting I do myself at work. All I need to have done are my forklegs and seatpost powdercoated in black, should be comparable I expect. I guess a lot depends in what (special) color you want it done.

Happy hunting. 8)

Good pointer, thanks. Will be extra carefull thanks to you. About 90% of a Basman T-post is visible, and they are only adjustable back and forth, not in hight. Once set it's final adjustment, no wear and tare there. I'll probably cut any access powdercoat away where needed. Better take it off myself carefully than waiting for tension to chip away at random. I am going to sandblast the chrome away, so that should make up for a bit of added thickness later.

Sorry to steal your topic Walker, back to the studio !

paid $75 for a 20" stingray frame/fork/guard. blasted, washed and powder coated with a stock color.

paid $110 for a 26" frame/fork. blasted, washed and powder coated. it was a custom color they had to order and material cost was around $40 more than if i used an in stock color.

so it wouldnt be too bad if i stripped the frame myself, and had him do just the powdercoat? im looking to get my 20" mongoose frame done in black.

A local guy here, blasted and coated for $165. Frame and fork and handle bars.

Ace said:
Good pointer, thanks...

speaking of pointers, if the lower bearing race is really tight fitting on the fork tell them not to PC the steer tube on the fork, they should mask the threads on the fork though either way. if youve got a threaded bottom bracket, tell them to mask those too. the little stuff like threaded chainguard or fork or bottle mounting holes you usually dont have to worry about though unless they coat it REALLY thick.

if they know what theyre doing, they wouldnt blast sheet metal with anything too abrasive, aggressive stuff will "pit" up stuff like chainguards, tanks or racks. and if you do a real glossy color like black it will be pretty noticeable.

Stretch,

Talk to the shop before you decide to strip the parts yourself. If you are planning on doing a chem paint strip, they may have to do their own final blast anyway, which will save you nothing. Talk to them first.

You may very well have to chase any threads with taps and dies, so expect that. Powder usually goes on too thick for threaded things.

hey ace, if ya mask off 1/2 the seat post ya won't have problems getting it to fit. :)

here in ont., i was just quoted $350 to sand plast and powder coat all these parts in military green and black.
IMG_1055-1.jpg

you guys are probably going to kill me. I pay $25 for a frame, fork, fenders, and chainguard to be powder-coated. There is a local business that makes roto tillers and they also do work for hobby guys. Real nice guys and quick turn around. I sand blast the bikes myself so that saves me money too.

I get mine for free, one of the benefits of being a supervisor for a powder coating shop. We do parts for the automotive industry, plus any outside job that fits on the line.

I paid $40 for two rims to be coated.

And yeah some places prefer that you just bring in the part, they dont want you blasting it because the powder has to be sprayed over a completely clean part, the oils off your hands from fingerprints can give them fits, along with a bunch of other things.

If they a good pretreat system sandblasting is the best way to go! Believe me almost 17yrs of powder coating and without a good pretreat (zinc phopate) the best powder coating job won't hold up, it is just like brush painting your car with house paint.

Frame, fork, fenders, racks, chainguard, $150, 3stage, silver met base, candy green, clear top. Only thing i had to do was drive 10min to drop off, and drive back two weeks later to pick up. :mrgreen:

Walker said:
I'm getting some estimates for sandblasting and powdercoating a project. I'm kind of curious about what these costs look like in other parts of the nation (and beyond?).

The parts I'm proposing to have done are:

1 Frame
1 pair Forks
2 Rims (dismantled)
2 Fenders (no braces)

So far I have the following responses:

Estimate #1: $175.00 - $250.00 (local place, includes custom ordering powder $55.00)
Estimate #2: $225.00 (1 hour drive)
Estimate #3, $375.00 (1 hr drive)
Estimate #4: $150.00 (1 hr drive)

Have you tried Longwoods metal finishing?

If it was me I would go with estimate #1 and support your local powder guy. Here in Southern Indiana I got a guy that did my bmx frame fork bars seatpost and cranks for 150.00. That was blasted and coated. I have another guy I've been using also that did a frame and fork for 60.00 my latest project was done in Iowa where I had the frame built and it cost a bit more than normal but it a three stage flip-flop powder and looks amazing in the sun. You just never know what color is going to come out.

Latest posts

Back