what do ya think? tentitive build, looking for opinions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
springs rolling around, and its time once again for the spring clean up.
i've been sorting through parts, getting rid of the unwanted and basicly making room for more bikes.

well i have this old ccm frame. its probably worth a couple few bucks in these parts but i'm considering chopping it up.
been thinking about an easy build to clean up a few parts, thats a little different than the norm. i mean we've done the boardtrackers and muscle bikes to death. while i love these race themed bikes, i want a change of pace.

what do you think of a dragster/drag bike type build?
heres what i'm thinking
IMG_3066.jpg

IMG_3062.jpg

i thought about leaving the frame unmodified and using it for the rrbo5, but i have this strange craving to move the crank back behind the seat.

anyhoo, what do ya think of the mock up? i'd love to hear your opinions. i'm not truely convinced i want to alter the frame, but it sure would make it easier to ride if i move the crank.

not to mention, i could slam this $%*$# to the ground.

Definitely see some possibilities.......The crank behind the seat would certainly make it look like a drag bike. Instead of a BURRITO, maybe call it a (french) MEATPIE!.....If anyone can do it, you can!

thats the vote of confidence i needed. :D :lol: :D thx guys. to be honest, the more i look at it, the more i like it.

in order to put the pedals behind the seat, i think those rear stays need to be a lot longer.same time, i'd prefer to keep the tire nestled in the frame.

gonna have to stare at it somemore. :)
chime in anytime guys.

THAT IS AWESOME DO IT DO IT. you know because the frame is still stock you could totally pull that off for the build off. i love the look i would change the bars though

to be perfectly honest, i've been saving this frame for the rrbo for almost 2 years. the plan, to do an old school dragster. the wheely bike from heck! (or at least a bike that behaves like a dragster)

0909cct_07_zvintagedragster.jpg

dragster.jpg

was thinking more along the lines of a steering wheel, but the huge apes were a close second. (don't have a steering wheel on hand) figured i'd use my freshly laced 24" suntour 3 speed and micro 8ball shifter.
IMG_3064_2.jpg

IMG_3065_2.jpg

that was the plan, didn't need to sacrifice looks,comfort or the frame allowing me to compete.

then this crazy plan to put the pedals behind the seat hit me (something new that i haven't seen)
would turn the dragster into a drag bike in a heart beat.

only problem,if i move the pedals behind the seat, i can't seem to come up with a game plan for comfort,looks and maintaining a legal entry for the rrbo5.

long and short of it, the frame would need to be modified if i go with the drag bike idea.
i'm on the fence, should i wright myself out of the competion before it even starts in the name of trying something new? (which might end up flopping miserably)
or should i stick with the the dragster build which seems unique in itself?

came to you guys, i knew ya'd set me straight.
clear as mud right, so what was i doing?. :roll: :roll: :roll:

been staring at this thing for too long. lol

Use a unicycle wheel ofr the back wheel, so your cranks are on the rear axle.

VERY COOL! Banana seat, apes, crank where it is (pedal forward).........Loooong wheelie bars, which would actually be functional.......You're a sick man, and there's no cure. :wink:

Leroy said:
Use a unicycle wheel ofr the back wheel, so your cranks are on the rear axle.

this thought had already crossed my mind. :D 3 speed internal hub (free wheel of course) turned unicycle crank. but if i do it, i'm gonna change the frame. i'd have to beef up the rear stays. that means no rrb entry.

thats where i'm at. drag bike that breaks the rrbo rules, or a dragster that allows me to compete.
although, i could enter my x-53 with a drag bike/dragster in tow. :)

the gears are a turning :)

KOTA said:
VERY COOL! Banana seat, apes, crank where it is (pedal forward).........Loooong wheelie bars, which would actually be functional.......You're a sick man, and there's no cure. :wink:

i think i'm with you kota, maybe even a sissy bar tail fin. :)

Icyuod2 - The pic of the blue dragster you posted was originally built by a buddy of mine who lives 3 houses over. The car was named "Sour Sisters". Used to race the car back in the 60's against Garlits, Ivo, and Prudhomme. Ran an Olds Rocket motor.
Cool see a pic of the car.

floridasfavson said:
Icyuod2 - The pic of the blue dragster you posted was originally built by a buddy of mine who lives 3 houses over. The car was named "Sour Sisters". Used to race the car back in the 60's against Garlits, Ivo, and Prudhomme. Ran an Olds Rocket motor.
Cool see a pic of the car.

while searching the web last night, i thought that to be one of the coolest images of a vintage dragster.
what are the chances. you can tell your budy, heres still inspiring folks all over the world. lol

too friggin cool.
Granth said:
icyuod2 said:
Granth said:
I like FED idea better!

FED????

Front Engine Dragster

well duh! don't i feel foolish. lol:roll: :roll: :roll:
thx grant

you should even keep it pink. :p but i think a banana seat and a go kart steering wheel would be perfect. and the crank should stay where its at, the laying down look would be really hard to control.

the other side of the bike is so fadded its pastel pink. looks like crap.
i'm comfortable enough to ride a pink bike, but i'm not gonna go outta my way to paint it pink. :)

i have to agree, i think the right steering wheel would work perfectly. since i am keeping this on a $0 budget (using what i got) unless it falls into my lap (which a lot of things do) the apes are my second choice.

tradings allowed, but i'm gonna keep this build as ratty as possible ( ratty meaning..... making do with what i have and investing little or no cash at all.)

Latest posts

Back