new_dharma here

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's been some time since i've been on the RR forums...just wanted to say hello to all the new members and the members that have been around for a bit!
I am Andy in RL; i own a bike shop in NE Minneapolis that does ok (older "cruiser-style" bikes and tune-ups); i like bikes (really?!?), camping, canoeing and hiking; I really like geocaching; and i am a fan of flat-track roller derby!
I like rebuilding older hubs (and have the "break-down" of many) and building wheels with the older hubs (doin' up older 3-speeds with coaster brakes is what i spent my winter doing! coaster brakes ARE the new black!)...

i hope to spend a bit more time on the site that i have in the recent past...but not so much that it takes away from building bikes :mrgreen:

take care!

thanks all! that's what i REALLY like about this site!
i lost my job at NAPA and after 6 months of not having a 'real' job (I don't count my bike shop 'cause i don't take in enough to support myself...YET!!!) so i didn't log on much!
i now have a job as a bicycle mechanic at a LBS and i am still doing my own thing.
rock on!

Welcome back! I want to personally thank you for posting up your hub drawings. They have been extremely helpful to me for several hubs that I have decided to rebuild. I understand your enjoyment of rebuilding older hubs. They are the most intricate part of the bicycle and it still amazes me the amount of engineering that went into them and the fact that they can be brought back to life after decades of abuse and neglect and still work like the day their original bike was wheeled out of the store. Thanks again!

Welcome!

I've got a SA 3 speed w coaster, 79 in very good shape, and just spins in first gear. 2nd and 3rd work great. From what I read, the pawls are probably gummed up and keeping first from engaging. I sprayed inside the hub with liquid wrench to see if it would loosen up. No luck. Could it be something else causing the problem? The hub came off a girl's bike, and was hardly used at all.

Latest posts

Back