The Military Mountain Chopper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really small update... unfortunately I have not had much time to mess with the bike lately but I was able to get my "transmission" piece welded up last night. I ended up swiping a couple sprockets from some coaster brake hubs and welded them to a normal front hub.

PRE_2010-04-14-212701.jpg

I know it looks a little gross but it Is really strong. Now I just need to find a good way to mount it. Plus I am still brainstorming on how to mount the rear fender.

... and you guys thought I was joking when I said that this was going to be a really long project. :mrgreen:

Fenders..tap into the chain stays and the axle stays like normal, just put spacers the length you need to get the right look against the tire.. ....Or weld it to the stays.....Bike is looking sic! 8)

Thanks Kota, That's basically what I was thinking about doing but I'm not going to need spacers. With the fender sitting right where I want it It touches the top and bottom stays. My only problem is I don't know if I want to just straight weld it on or make it removable. If I am just going to burn it to the frame it should be really easy to do but it might make the rear wheel really difficult to remove and install. On the other hand If I were to make it removable it's already touching the stays so there is not really any room for mounts or bolts on the sides.

I was thinking about maybe making some tabs that come straight back from the stays farther forward maybe 3~4 inches apart. Basically just right in front of the fender. Then weld some tabs to the top of the fender that will bolt to the ones on the frame. I kind of like this idea but I am afraid that it is just going to be ugly.

Oh and I have had an idea rolling around in my head for a seat but I'm not sure if it really goes with the look of the bike or if it starts to make it seem more like a piece of farm equipment. I had found a really nice brown leather springer saddle the other day but I didn't jump on it when I had the chance and now I can't find it anymore :? so this is kind of a "plan B"...

F8N400.jpg

I think that seat would look "perfect"!....Balances with the big rear (tire).

when you do get around to riding the bike, be very careful with the rear brakes.

i had no idea a bike with a tire that large would stop on a dime, first time i rode mine, i almost smashed out my teeth on the gooseneck when i applied the brakes.

very cool build indeed.

KOTA said:
I think that seat would look "perfect"!....Balances with the big rear (tire).

Awesome! I'm glad to have a second oppinion on it. I really think it will look pretty cool and go with the bare bones look of the bike. Now the question is mount it solid or build some kind of springer for it... I guess I'll wait until I get the seat first and just burn that bridge when I get to it.

icyuod2 said:
when you do get around to riding the bike, be very careful with the rear brakes.

i had no idea a bike with a tire that large would stop on a dime, first time i rode mine, i almost smashed out my teeth on the gooseneck when i applied the brakes.

very cool build indeed.

Wow, :shock: thanks for the advice! However I have a feeling that because of the small brake disc that I used on mine (5"), it just isn't going to be able to stop me that suddenly. Although I'll probably take it easy the first few times just to be safe. 8)

... which reminds me, does anyone know if there is any kind of "how to" or other info on building a suicide brake lever? The more I thought about trying to use that twist grip for the brake the more I don't think it will work, at least not well. Plus my hand position on these bars would make it awkward to use and I'd rather not have to use a 8 foot long brake cable.

Well between last weekend and last night I have managed to finish up mounting the transmission piece and I actually was able to find that original leather seat that I wanted. I also went out and picked up some brand new chains and installed them....

Then I took it for a ride.

It was great! It's everything I had hoped for...Huge, slow, kinda hard to steer... And pure awesome! Even just riding it around the block I had tons of people waving at me and throwing up a thumbs up or other gestures of approval. But I have to admit this has got to be the most impractical bicycle ever. I mean it's awesome, but it's just so heavy and huge it's hard to fathom. I actually busted out the bathroom scale last night out of sheer morbid curiosity and this bike is even heavier than I ever imagined (go ahead and guess this could be interesting).... Which probably explains why I was so tired after just riding around the block. Still that's not really a deal breaker as this was never really meant to be practical transportation. Although I was kind of hoping I would be able to at least make it down the boardwalk and back without having a heart attack. I guess I'll just have to figure that one out the hard way. Lol... All the same I think my next custom bike will be much more functional and slightly less insane.

Even though I had a blast cruising it around the neighborhood I still have a ton of work left before I can call this one done. I have to still mount the fender, find a good way to mount the seat, and figure out what I am going to do for the brake (yeah I rode it around with no brakes). Then Clean up the welds and seams, prime, paint, and repack and adjust all of the bearings... You know, the fun stuff! I just hope to have it all done in time to bring it to a few of the car shows that are coming up in the next couple of months.

pre20100418182515.jpg

pre20100418182251.jpg

pre20100421181125.jpg

The new "Kickstand" Lol... it works!
pre20100421183817.jpg

89lbs.

If your rear hub has a international standard bolt circle, you could swap out your rear rotor for an 8" one and use an Avid BB series caliper. They work nearly as well as hydraulic ones and are inexpensive (ebay or Amazon.com). Of coz you could add a brake on the front too. Why not change your jackshaft for a 3 speed hub instead? Cheap and relatively easy to do. Nice job by the way, Brad at Atomic Zombie would be proud of you 8)

Haha, Unfortunately all of you guys are still too low... no really. I'm seriously starting to conceder doing some weight reduction surgery on the rear wheel with a hole saw.

OCD said:
If your rear hub has a international standard bolt circle, you could swap out your rear rotor for an 8" one and use an Avid BB series caliper. They work nearly as well as hydraulic ones and are inexpensive (ebay or Amazon.com). Of coz you could add a brake on the front too. Why not change your jackshaft for a 3 speed hub instead? Cheap and relatively easy to do. Nice job by the way, Brad at Atomic Zombie would be proud of you 8)

I actually considered getting a big 8" disc for the rear when I first started assembling the rear wheel, but now that it's all put together and the caliper is mounted it would be a bit of extra work to make a new caliper mount for the larger brake. But all the same I think this one will do alright, mainly just because I don't see myself having to use it much because as deorman pointed out...

deorman said:
As long as you never go downhill, you probably don't need a brake. :mrgreen: After all, you're riding around on an anchor. :lol: 80 lbs. :?

Lol :lol: and that's about right this thing definitely isn't going to be going anywhere in a hurry.

Still OCD your idea about using a 3 speed hub as kind of like a transmission is also another idea that had crossed my mind. For now though I was just trying to work with what I had on hand or could get easily and unfortunately I could not find a 3 speed that people did not want an arm and a leg for. Seriously people around here must think their used bike parts are made out of solid gold or something. Still on the bright side since I did use a fairly standard width hub for the idler that would be something really easy to upgrade someday down the road if the right hub were to ever fall into my lap... and then maybe I would actually need that 8" disc. Oh and as far as putting a brake on the front it's still definitely an option but I just really don't think it would be as effective in this instance as a really good one on the rear. Mainly because that back tire is just going to be carrying a ton of rotational momentum and that's really the main thing that I would need to slow down on this bike.

But thank you for the complement! I actually got an account over on the AZ forum too, I just have not yet got around to posting up my build over there yet.

that bike is looking great the fender is a nice add on .the only thing i notice is the way the trans.. is mounted i would of mounted it so you can ajust the front chain .in the pic it looks like it drops straight up and down so you cant ajust the front chain .ok now a question when you laced up the back rim did you have a problem with every other spoke being to long i laced up my wheel 3 times and no matter what i do every other spoke is to long :lol: im going nuts

ok i got it now lol i used different spokes i put a ,,265x50x15 hooser tire,, im sorry i keep useing your site for my build ill post my own we will have to hoo up and go for a cruise some time :D

rnchoppers said:
ok i got it now lol i used different spokes i put a ,,265x50x15 hooser tire,, im sorry i keep useing your site for my build ill post my own we will have to hoo up and go for a cruise some time :D

Wow I don't even know how I missed seeing your other post! I have not been on this thread in a while since I have really not had much to update. But yeah don't worry about it. Still I would love to see a build thread for your bike too.

Due to the great weather I have kind of decided to postpone some aspects of the build like installing the rear fender... Because honestly I just want to ride it! Lol. Plus one of my good friends wants to start a build too and I am going to help him with his. I figure once it gets cold again I'll play with some accessories and detail work on mine.

But as of now here it is how it sits. I am happy wit it but I still need to sort out the rear brake and get/make some grips before I can call it done. I was kind of thinking about just making some grips out of 550 cord just wrapped around the handlebars, I just have no Idea how I would secure the ends.

PRE_2010-05-06-183452.jpg

PRE_2010-05-06-183513.jpg

Oh and 115 lbs... no really

Well not much of an update but I was able to wrap the bars for my grips and I stopped by the local bike shop to pick up some brake cable for the rear. It turns out that I was right about that rear brake... it makes noise and gets really hot but doesn't slow down the bike all that much. I am probably going to try and find an 8" disc on eBay and build a new caliper mount to see if that will help.

Also I have been having an issue with the front chain jumping off if the idler lately. I know the chain is slightly angled so I assume that I am going to need to build some sort of chain guide to help line it up before the idler but I have no idea where to even start on something like that.

Oh and here is a sneak peak at the next project.

1274618513754imagejpeg2.jpg

Latest posts

Back