giving does feel good

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife is a devout church goer.(me not at all but i do the holidays to make her happy) But anyway she just happend to mention to me that there is a girl there that they call the bike chick and she runs a program that gives under privileged kids a chance to build bikes (from parts that are donated) that they get to keep. (if a brand new bike is donated she will take it apart she wants them to earn it). As i heard about this i was touched i thought that was a great idea i couldn't imaging being a kid and not having a bkie never even thought it was possible. I got in touch with her and asked if i could check it out. she said sure so monday i met with the kids and they were great. They like have nothing and they are so happy about life. so while they were learning about hub assemblies i ran home and loaded up with about 15 bikes from the pile and brought them over they helped me unload and there was one kid (he's about 5 that i clicked with right away) that fell in love with a bike i buiilt for my kid a while ago. (16" with 26" forks chopper style) he asked if he could have it i said yea but she said not till it's stripped and rebuilt. So next week i'm doing a class on painting. Not that i have a lot of free time in my life but this feels right. Anyway just thought i'd share.

Here's a kick butt idea?!

How about each person on this board come up with a part to donate that would make a cool, complete bike and send directly to these kids c/o ?? so they know it is for this project. The kids can assemble it and you can take pics of the kids with there prize. i am sure there are enough people who would contribute selflessly to unique idea such as this. Lets step up to the plate and try to make this happen. Getting mystery packages is also cool too!

LMKWYT ~ Joe

i like the ideas .

you can count me in if its a go. id be willing to rtoss in some parts. or whatever it takes.

id rather see them building and riding and learning than getting caught up in other things that are not real productive.

Re: Here's a kick butt idea?!

yeshoney said:
How about each person on this board come up with a part to donate that would make a cool, complete bike and send directly to these kids c/o ?? so they know it is for this project. The kids can assemble it and you can take pics of the kids with there prize. i am sure there are enough people who would contribute selflessly to unique idea such as this. Lets step up to the plate and try to make this happen. Getting mystery packages is also cool too!

LMKWYT ~ Joe

Count me in :D

-Mp

Here in Detroit we have http://www.backalleybikes.org I can't say enough about them. I have given them several bikes this year & I've got 3 more ready to go. They are the only local charity I know of that will take damaged or incomplete bikes. I can justify buying something for one good part if I have a good home for the remainder (though I havn't yet). Everyone should own a bike (especially in the D where the public transit is almost useless & we have one of the fattest populations-no joke!) & almost anyone can learn how to fix & maintain one. It gives me an excuse to do something I do well--trashpick late model bikes.

Id like to contribute but I gave all my old stuff away when
I left Vermont. My wife is a Guidance Counselor whose
job is specifically to work with problem kids. Theres one
who I met and connected with due to the bicycling stuff.....
Since we were leaving VT it was then OK to give him a
gift so I gave him my brand new NIRVE chopper bike....
Needless to say, him and his Foster Parent were blown away.
I know its not good to mention this type of stuff to because
it might invalidate the action, but really, if everyone gives
a little it perpetuates a circle of kindness that can only
be good for everyone, overall. Chances are all the kids
who are on the recieving end of a Ratbikers kindness will
reciprocate it when they get older. This is worth more than
any monitary reimbursement.

At the risk of going off-topic......All of the 'Problem kids' I
met who were in my Wifes program really only wanted
an adult to talk to. Just letting them talk, and talk, and talk
was a gift to them. If you ever meet a 'problem kid'...
just give him the gift of listening and you might be surprised
what you get in return !
:mrgreen:

i know allot of you were interested in this but her and i were just able to touch base. She gave me a quick list of stuff that she says they could always use. here is what she sent me

Here are just a few things that i feel we could always use at the bike church:

20" wheels/tubes/tires
kids bikes
pegs
left crank arms
1 piece cranks
seats
brake cables
chains
master links
pumps
adjustable wrenches/screwdrivers/cone wrenches/allen wrenches

Of course we take anything that anybody is willing to donate

Thank you and tell the others the same.

So there you have it. Anyone that would like to make a donation it would be greatly appreciated. Her only problem is accepting shipments so i'm going to be handling that and bringing them to her direct.

they can be sent to

The Bike Church
c/o Patrick Carroll
1015 grassmere ave
ocean nj 07712

Thanks again

Latest posts

Back