Cinco de Polo (Now with NOS!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Cinco de Polo

JoKeR63 said:
Got the beast painted for the most part. the "hammertone" doesn't look very hammered, maybe it would've been better layered over black?
I think when I've used that in the past...How far away from what i was spraying made a differance...There was something weird to it. :?

FOUND OBJECTS said:
JoKeR63 said:
Got the beast painted for the most part. the "hammertone" doesn't look very hammered, maybe it would've been better layered over black?
I think when I've used that in the past...How far away from what i was spraying made a differance...There was something weird to it. :?

Yea it was windy, so I was real close. 3-5" maybe? The chain guard looked the best. Maybe having a flat surface makes a difference as well?

Assembly Day

OK, so I got the basics put together today. Also made a trip out of town to purchase a bike stand and Cinco was it's first victim. I'm not a big fan of rusty seat stems, and I had a Schwinn one left over from last years build-off. Also had to drill out the sissy bar to 1/4" holes, 10-24 bolts wouln't hold me up! Decided to put the brake on the handlebar, and do my normal tribute to "Easy Rider" with the floppy cable.

On it's first ride I discovered something, this thing handles great! I was shocked, it has very few chopper characteristics. I expected a crap pile and I just didn't plan on riding it that much. It handles better than my Morpha-Ray chopper. So it may see more action than first anticipated.

Um, heavy duty!

stand.jpg

bare.jpg

mildly crusty Shimano Eagle2

eagle.jpg

rrwhl.jpg

drive.jpg

Bicycle Manufactures of America "Certified" :lol:

cert.jpg

assm01.jpg

assm02.jpg

Born to be Mild,
wbrk.jpg

Now to come up with a shifter design.

i think ya should get bonus points for that incredable balancing stunt.

i can't believe theres just a 2x4 holding tht thing up.

icyuod2 said:

kickstand. :lol: look at the last pic, inside the sprocket.

icyuod2 said:

"It's just an illusion"

That's my bad, here's a shot of the kickstand.

kick.jpg

The 2x4 is preventing the typical chopper wheelflop, I'm gonna' make a lock for picture taken' soon. :)

OK, change of plan, I'm gonna' go with this CWC chickorama.

RM02.jpg

Naw, I'm just messin' with y'all! CWC's are poppin' up like dandelions around here! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

JoKeR63 said:
OK, change of plan, I'm gonna' go with this CWC chickorama.

Naw, I'm just messin' with y'all! CWC's are poppin' up like dandelions around here! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

no kiddin!

Went rummaging thru my junk and found a pile o' parts for my shifter. Shift handle is from a Atari 2600 controller that hasn't seen the light of day for nearly a quarter century. The belt drive will reduce the amount of throw required which can be a real problem for long handle shifters, stay tuned.

shifter01.jpg

The bad news is I may have to grind off that great patina off that "S" shaped part. :cry:

Shifter is now operating, barely. Seems Cinco has an appetite for high dollar chain. Original Wally-World chain kept skipping off in first. Still having problems keeping the chain on the ring, I'll have to design a guide to mount on the chainguard. I may also have to redesign the mounting system, it sticks out kinda' far, we'll see.

shifter02.jpg

shifter03.jpg

now thats neat!! :D i think your chain problem is cuz your front sprocket was like a skiptooth(and is thinner for a multi speed chain), you probably should swap it out, or get 10 speed chain.

stretch said:
now thats neat!! :D i think your chain problem is cuz your front sprocket was like a skiptooth(and is thinner for a multi speed chain), you probably should swap it out, or get 10 speed chain.

Nope, That ring came off a ten speed bike (I removed the smaller ring that was riveted to it), and had the luxury of having a front derailleur to guide it. I put some high-dollar left over chain from one of my recumbent projects and that helped, I just want to "seal the deal". I really like that sprocket, and I don't want to give up on it just yet.

deorman said:
Flipping the sprocket so the offset is to the inside may help, if it clears the chainstays. :|
You'd need a feeler gauge to check the clearance as it is now, bummer!

Latest posts

Back