1 day, 2 free bikes.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I was walking back to church after lunch yesterday and a church member pulled up told me he left me a donation at my house, said it was a bike and a new tire he purchased and never put on anything. Told him thanks and to keep 'em coming. I got home and it's a rusty 24" Roadmaster girls mountain bike, good for parts, possibly a top frame section for a future tall bike. The tire is a 26" road bike tire with the wrapper still on it.

After the deacon's meeting and my wife's meeting we walked home from church in the dark with the kids, we'd forgotten to leave the porch light on and as I got closer I saw a set of ape hangers by the porch, when I turned on the lights I found this:

sting1.jpg

I've never been a big fan of muscle bikes, even less a fan of remake muscles, but this thing is pretty cool. The stem was loose (tight now) and the front tire needs a tube, which I have. Took my copper scrubber and the rust wipes right off the fenders and wheels with little effort, now if I can get all 3 kids napping at the same time today I will be riding a shiny bike this evening.

cool, what are these bikes called? I have most of the parts to one in that same color, but the decals on the chain guard are gone.

Thanks!

jerrykr said:
cool, what are these bikes called? I have most of the parts to one in that same color, but the decals on the chain guard are gone.

Thanks!

It's a Schwinn Sting Ray. Everything on this one is original, with the Schwinn Sting Ray Slik back tire, very cool. The back of the front fender was dropped onto something, probably hung up slowly riding off a curb, but It's fixable.

Sweet my buddy Mark is selling one like that but his is black and in better shape. Nice score though, even being a re-pop it's still great for free.

outskirtscustoms said:
Sweet my buddy Mark is selling one like that but his is black and in better shape. Nice score though, even being a re-pop it's still great for free.

Doesn't take much to get them into better shape, a few hours today and...

sting2.jpg

sting3.jpg

sting4.jpg

It cleaned up really good and ride GREAT!

I've got the black repop and it's a blast to ride. Even young kids know a cool bike when they see one. :mrgreen:

It's hard to believe that those Black Friday bikes at Walmart back in 2007 went for something like $84 each. :eek:

M.Martian said:
I've got the black repop and it's a blast to ride. Even young kids know a cool bike when they see one. :mrgreen:

The adults in the church are really impressed with this bike, it's definitely an attention getter.

schwinnmesa said:
Great job cleaning it! :D

Thanks... if I get really excited I'll take the springer apart and clean the rust out of it, but I'm having too much fin just riding it. Since college I've been riding mountain bikes with front or full suspension and I'll tell you, they have nothing on this spring front fork, I can't believe how smooth it is!

Looks great! I'm surprised those fenders shined up that well. They just don't chrome they way they used to. Those little Wally Rays make good projects. I got mine the black Friday they went on sale. Here it is now...

DSC00164.jpg

I got mine off CL basically as a pile of parts, with no back wheel. My chain ring has the thicker "spokes" like yours youthgeye than the other one pictured. Mine has a whitewall front tire. I do have a 20 inch wheel and slick tire, but off some other bike. I'm using a few parts on another project, and will probably offer the rest of them in the FS section pretty soon.

Mine has stickers on the BB "Made in China" and a sticker "Pacificcycle" with an 800 number and a date code that uses numbers and letters.

Thanks for the info.

jerrykr said:
Mine has stickers on the BB "Made in China" and a sticker "Pacificcycle" with an 800 number and a date code that uses numbers and letters.

Same as mine.

sking1973 said:
Looks great! I'm surprised those fenders shined up that well. They just don't chrome they way they used to. Those little Wally Rays make good projects. I got mine the black Friday they went on sale. Here it is now...

How long ago did they sell these new, I know it wasn't long ago, but when? I thought about taking my white paint pen and bringing out the letters on the back tire like yours. Love the wheelie bar... do you use it?

yoothgeye said:
jerrykr said:
How long ago did they sell these new, I know it wasn't long ago, but when?

They were from Nov. 2007 if I'm not mistaken. There were other repops from 1998 or 1999 which were of actual krate bikes. These are just Stingrays in blue, green and black.

M.Martian said:
They were from Nov. 2007 if I'm not mistaken. There were other repops from 1998 or 1999 which were of actual krate bikes. These are just Stingrays in blue, green and black.

Cool, that explains why I couldn't recall if it was 10 years ago or 4...

Funny thing about this bike, I prefer a stripped down bike, no fancy fork, no fenders, nothing shiny, don't like banana seats, and not a real fan of ape hangers, but for some reason, I'm loving this little bike. Definitely a keeper, and I've had 2 offers to buy it in the 4 days I've had it.

yoothgeye said:
I thought about taking my white paint pen and bringing out the letters on the back tire like yours. Love the wheelie bar... do you use it?

I have used the wheelie bar. It took me awhile to construct out of an old sissy bar, fork struts, and skateboard parts, but I love the look of it.

Latest posts

Back