ROLLFAST....Can you help me date this?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I found the "Stallion" for my stable.

8024216.jpg

7344384.jpg

3563254.jpg

6346833.jpg

Thanks to everyone for helping me "Cut My Teeth" in this hobby (Obsession).

It's Snyder built, I'm gonna say early-mid 50s with that badge. That chainring is probably from an older Hawthorne, maybe a girls, it looks small. And I think that's a Huffman springer, hard to tell w/parts missing. -Adam

I don't know on a date on it but i will say that bike is SWEET :shock: Just loooking at what I have seen here before I'd guess late 30's- early 50's. I am kinda a newbie here too but I been building bikes for 18 years. (born in '85) Never outgrew it, the obsession only gets worse, Now I got 30+ bikes and a trike crammed in the 10' x 10' shed, bike parts in the closet, under the bed, and STILL dragging home more.

The 30's Rollfasts had a straight downtube, in the 40's came the introduction of the curved downtube, but due to your dropouts & headbadge I'm gonna agree w/Rustinkerer - most likely early 50's :D (in the 60's they began their cantilever frames I believe).
(click to view)

1930's

1040's

40's and earlier style dropouts;

I just realized that I completely forgot to mention I dig yer bike :oops:

Defo a nice find! Looks to be in good shape other than the surface rust, even the rear rack looks to be straight & true - kinda uncommon actually as it often served as a second seat lol

BarelyAWake said:
I just realized that I completely forgot to mention I dig yer bike :oops:

Defo a nice find! Looks to be in good shape other than the surface rust, even the rear rack looks to be straight & true - kinda uncommon actually as it often served as a second seat lol

Thank You!

Because it is incomplete, this gives me carte blanche to add parts that I like. The horn tank and chain guard will be to my choosing. You are right about the luggage rack, it's in good shape. I'm going to lube this bike up, then build it up. After that, I'll settle on a color scheme for powder coating. I'm lucky. I have a new found friend in the powder coating business...Southern Maryland Powder Coating. As it turns out, I print tee-shirts in my garage part-time, and Paul is my new tee-shirt customer. He gets a dozen printed tee's, I get the bike painted however I like. Pretty Sweet! You will see the transformation over the next few months. If you would like to see Paul's work, click this link.

http://planetoftheteeshirts.weebly.com/1955-columbia-built-three-star-deluxe-bicycle.html

Sweet! Defo take a buncha pics & keep us posted, I love seein' an old bike come back to life :mrgreen: Ya prolly have something in mind already but I thought I'd throw up these pics I found of the 30's paint details & tanks in case yer interested (not my bikes)...

...later Rollfasts seem to have something like that or are a single color like this;

Ok, I just checked the Rollfast book by Classic Bicycle News, and that is a Rollfast springer, and not missing any parts. They used it from 1939- mid 50s, when it was replaced by a very Schwinn inspired design. The book also features a 1949 catalog, and the bikes still had the 'bullseye' headbadge, and the next pages are from 1958, when your style badge was still used. -Adam

Latest posts

Back