The Daily Nail

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm writing this in retrospect, having very nearly finished the bike, but I took photo's throughout the build so I thought I'd do a bit of a thread. Here's what happend...

I was getting a bit frustrated with only having a BMX or silly cruiser to ride. which is fine as long as I don;t want to ride any further than the pub and back. And so I decided that a slightly more road worthy cycle was needed to fulfill this function.

I found this nasty Peugeot on ebay, it was very cheap and I couldn't help myself.
Picture001.jpg

Picture006.jpg

I can't work out exactly what model it is, but I think it's from about 1983 and it's a 103 Carbolite frame.
It was a bit of wreck when I first got my hands on it, and it became clear that a quick 'once over' and squirt of WD40 wasn't going to solve anything. So I had another project on the go!

This wasn't a pretty or rare bike, I had no attachment to it and it was about to be scrapped so I had no quarms with butchering it to make something that could be enjoyed. So the strip down began...

Picture007.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Had a few issues on the way, firstly a mashed cotter pin to remove...

Picture014.jpg

...that wasn't much fun. Then whilst trying to remove the ceased stem, I managed to crack it leaving half of the quill stuck inside the forks...

Picture017.jpg

Picture018.jpg

That wasn't a good day. Managed to drill the stem out in the end though.

Picture015.jpg

Picture016.jpg

Then I set about removing all the sticky out bits that were no long going to be required...

Picture021.jpg

Picture022.jpg

Then striped the frame and forks back...

DSC04610.jpg

I decided that I quite liked the raw metal look, despite it's very unfinished appearance so just laquered it as was...

Picture025.jpg

Ok now this is wrong. Everybody is going to just clear their frames and the paint selling companies are going to go out of business and then the ones of us that need paint to survive will be out of luck..Poor ratrodders will be sitting around crushing red berries to smear on their builds...Not to mention all the taggers will go into depression and start causing real trouble. :shock: :shock: Just kidding the build looks good so far. :wink:

Alright, alright, alright! Hold yer horses! :D
I wasn't leaving the story there for dramatic effect, it was just getting late here.

I have no idea what brand the speakers are, they're nothing special but make a noise!

Hahaha, I'm sure the paint industry will survive Uncle Stretch! :lol:

Anyways, lets continue.
Replaced the stem I broke...
DSC04615.jpg

As this is a french frame and has some obscure obsolete headset size, I was forced to reuse the old set. So I gave it a lick of paint...
Picture034.jpg

Picture035.jpg

Picture036.jpg

Picture041.jpg

Then started on the rear with new hub, spokes, cog and what-not...

Picture031.jpg

Picture033.jpg

Picture038.jpg

New bottom bracket...

Picture029.jpg

...and some nasty nasty new cranks. They were really cheap though and I hope they'll just be a temporary fix...

Picture030.jpg

...they make me feel a bit ill.

Anyway, from there I found some funky new rubber...

Picture044.jpg

...and butchered the handle bars...

DSC04619.jpg

DSC04624.jpg

Then some new cork on the bars and this is how it was looking...

Picture066.jpg

I won't leave you hanging too long for the rest of the build, but I've got sort the rest of the photo's and stuff.

I am like the accent color on the bare metal. Did you have to use a French threaded BB too?

Thanks, guys.

The bottom bracket was a standard size jobby. I was pleasantly surprised when I measured it up.
I went for a square tapper drive knowing it would give me more options with the cranks, then somehow ended up with that tripe!

I would have put some more pics up tonight, but I managed to spill 3litres of engine oil in the back of my car so spent the evening clearing that up. Rubbish!

That´s pretty much awesome, I just have the felling this one is gonna stand out.

Explain one thing to me. Your British, and you have a football helmet?
Are you like me, hated all around because liking another sport that´s not soccer and a football fan? :D

Gdcast said:
That´s pretty much awesome, I just have the felling this one is gonna stand out.

Explain one thing to me. Your British, and you have a football helmet?
Are you like me, hated all around because liking another sport that´s not soccer and a football fan? :D

I hope you're right, but I don't think this bike is gunna be anything super special!

Haha, the football helmet, I only use that when I'm attempting to cook! I'm not into sports unless it involves a bike, a board or a beach.

So I took a few pics this evening. It's not quite finished yet though, still waiting on some new pedals and cleats. Then everything will need adjusting as the bike hasn't been riden yet and the angles look all kinds of wrong!

So I built the front wheel up, albeit on the second attempt. Tried using spokes that were 2mm too short the first time round. Learnt that lesson and got it right the second time.

So this is how she stands, with a tasty new saddle...
Picture069.jpg

Picture073.jpg

Picture072.jpg

Picture068.jpg

Picture071.jpg

I spent a long time getting the chain line to run dead straight as I hate rough gearing...

Picture070.jpg

Hope borrow some peddles and cleats of my mate and take it for a spin at the weekend. I'm really looking forward to that first ride after a few months getting this fixie fixed up!

Thanks, glad you like.

I stole the pedals of my housemates bike this morning (sssshhhh, he'll never know!) and took it out for a very tentative spin round the block. Seems to be riding really smoothly so far, and I didn't die which is a bonus!

I'm off to find a quiet car park to get some practice now! :D

Haha, glad you like it. But I would encourage you to go for a frame that uses more universal measurements as I struggled with stuff like the headset on this bike. Other frames with more common sizes would make your build much more pleasurable and give you more options!

Yeah, I like the green. I think it would look very dull without it.

I just took my time painting the headset with a tiny brush. Chipped it when I bashed the cups into the frame and had to re-do it again! :lol:

man that looks cool , apart form the cranks... ;-)

I'm working on the same sort of raw metal bike...also a peugeot ofcourse.....also only clearcoat...

rood1.jpg

ratty rod wheel coasterbrake rearwheel...

rodwiel1.jpg

Sweet, wish they made those tires in 550A, They'd look right at home on my Peugeot

PA060105.jpg

Latest posts

Back