American Pickers

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That show has provoked ongoing debate since it started! But, as a regular watcher, I've seen them pay more than the sellers wanted, because they had no clue what they had. I think they have a good sense of balance between 'business' and doing the right thing. Especially since those two things are mutually exclusive!!! :lol: -Adam

Very cool Steve, also keep in mind they only air episodes of their most interesting picks, I'm sure there are some real hard hitting losses they've taken on items that were left in the editor's trash can. They did show where he bought that one bicycle from under the brush pile and ended up being no good. So he lost money on it, they should show the job accurately, not just the best of times. :roll:

What's funny is...most of the time when I watch, I'm always amazed at how many things they buy that don't make that big of a profit.

Bought: $50
Sold: $90

I'm thinking...it must be a quantity deal because otherwise it would be a waste of time.

They are getting paid for the show too.

I have a feeling they sell stuff for more than what is listed on the show. I remember the Simplex Servi-cycles they picked up and the "sold" value was far less than I would have paid.

Again, makes no difference to me!

I work at a bike shop. We take trade in bikes. The price we can sell used bikes for is far more than a private party, CL or Ebay usually. That's because people come to us LOOKING for a bike. A $400 used bike in our shop would never sell for that price on CL (and we probably paid $50).

Why do we only pay $50 (usually far less than the bike is worth)? Because we have to tune it, replace parts, take a chance it may not sell, and tie up money we could use buying items we know will sell. It's a gamble. Some are better at the game than others.

The Pickers always leave their info. If a person questions the price they throw out, then they should wait, get it appraised and call the Pickers back. They don't HAVE to sell any thing to the Pickers.

Again, the value of something is a compromise between the buyer and seller. If the seller thinks they are getting taken, then they shouldn't sell it. Bottom line.

Those guys probably sell a lot of that stuff to interior decorators? Ever go into a restaraunt or sports bar and see all the do-dads hanging from the ceiling and the walls? There is a company that does contract decorating for a lot of major restaraunt chains, and I'm sure they are always looking for stuff like seen on that show. They are known as Moose Breath Trading Co.

As an Interior Design Student, I will tell you that people LOVE to piss away money. People that can afford an Interior Designer have LOTS of money. I sell furniture and art to some of these people. I have actually had to raise prices at times to sell stuff. :shock: :roll:

The day I saw a $6,000 dollar bathroom faucet I had to get my pants dry cleaned.

Beau said:
Again, the value of something is a compromise between the buyer and seller. If the seller thinks they are getting taken, then they shouldn't sell it. Bottom line.

Well said.

Beau said:
As an Interior Design Student, I will tell you that people LOVE to piss away money. People that can afford an Interior Designer have LOTS of money. I sell furniture and art to some of these people. I have actually had to raise prices at times to sell stuff. :shock: :roll:

The day I saw a $6,000 dollar bathroom faucet I had to get my pants dry cleaned.

Ya, we got involved very briefly with a designer when renovating a room in our house. The room has 3 windows, each about 90"h x 40"w. When we got the quote for curtains, $6,400, we picked ourselves up off the floor and quickly took a different route, and haven't spoken to the designers since.

I love the show! Even love to watch the re-runs. I just wish they would pick more old bikes. I'm tired of seeing Frank pick signs and oil cans. I saw them in one episode, walk by a Stingray that made my jaw drop. Of course, Mike is into old turn of the century bikes, I have seen them walk by and pass up stuff that I would give a limb for. :lol: I always tell my wife, " good thing I am not in the pick with them and using the same van. My section would be packed. :wink:

ckdesigns69 said:
I love the show! Even love to watch the re-runs. I just wish they would pick more old bikes. I'm tired of seeing Frank pick signs and oil cans. I saw them in one episode, walk by a Stingray that made my jaw drop. Of course, Mike is into old turn of the century bikes, I have seen them walk by and pass up stuff that I would give a limb for. :lol: I always tell my wife, " good thing I am not in the pick with them and using the same van. My section would be packed. :wink:

If it was me they'd need a bigger van.....lol. I have seen the cameras pass right over bikes that would be really good.

2dawgs said:
Dr. Icy,

Couldn't have said it better. Money should not be the sole driving force for resurrecting these old beauties. The love of the build and the ride is what it is all about.

With that said, I don't judge those would make their living selling these babies; just don't rip your customers off with obscene profits.
Hit the nail dead center on that one :mrgreen:

Tailwinds said:
And the "APS" (American Pickers Syndrome) rears its ugly head again.... It's a pandemic. :shock: :roll: :)

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c216/ ... cture1.png

I don't really think it's the Pickers that are doing it. People have always been asking way too much for old stuff, just because its old.
That will never change.

One of the recent ones they skiped right over a nice Spacliner or it was one the other space weight bicycles I believe it was the episode where Mike got that unopened trunk, Danielle did a great job on picking the episode that she finally got to do it on and she was a roll doing so.

Funny. I have been watching every episode on Netflix this evening. I love the show and I'm watching it now.

There are some mixed feelings about the pickers, I like the show and they do find some cool stuff but they are only in business because they pay under retail for everything and people sell things under retail. I always say if the seller agrees to a price that is their choice to sell or not to sell, they should have researched it and found out what it's worth before selling it.

If I saw a 1937 Elgin Bluebird sitting by a barn and someone said give me $50 and you can have it I'd rip the pocket off my jeans getting at my wallet. And so would 99% of the guys here. I wouldn't sell it though.....sometimes it's not about the money. If I find a bike in the trash and sell it for $20, is that wrong? No, one man's trash is another man's treasure. That is the principal that keeps them in business.

Now on the other hand making 3000% profit off of stuff is wrong, I do like how they came back and handed the guy 5 grand to help him out but I wonder how often that actually happens and if it was from the heart or just for publicity. :roll:

kngtmat said:
One of the recent ones they skiped right over a nice Spacliner or it was one the other space weight bicycles I believe it was the episode where Mike got that unopened trunk, Danielle did a great job on picking the episode that she finally got to do it on and she was a roll doing so.

Yea, I saw that bike. I was thinking of that too. Man, that is a bike that on my wish list to find and right there was one. I remember it being pretty nice and even the original seat on it looked nice. I would have broke my leg crawling over junk to get to that one. Danielle did do a good job picking in that one. I'd rather see her out more. Easier on the eyes than Frank. :lol:

Latest posts

Back