Y

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im not scared :lol: i wanna see more, its just boltin stuff together, looks like the original frame pieces are all there to me. just my .02

Frame

When you go to a bike shop and buy a suspension MTB frame, it includes the rear swingarm and sometimes the shock. You dont buy the rear arm seperately suggesting that the conscensus of the cycling industry is that it is part of the originally designed frame structure and not just a part or accesory. Flipping the swingarm IS altering the "original frame structure."

courtesy m-w.com
"altering"
Main Entry: al·ter
Pronunciation: 'ol-t&r
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): al·tered; al·ter·ing /-t(&-)ri[ng]/
Etymology: Middle English, from Medieval Latin alterare, from Latin alter other (of two); akin to Latin alius other -- more at ELSE
transitive verb
1 : to make different without changing into something else

By the rules, this would even include welding the frame rigid. Handlebars, seatposts, cranks, seats, tires, wheels, forks, etc., are NOT part of the "frame structure" and are open game.

That's my dime's worth

Atomic Zombie has built one of those inverted Y-frame choppers (where I got the idea for mine), you can see it at http://www.instructables.com/id/EEOWB6EUZREPZY2F3D/

The thing is the swingarm didn't get flipped. Yeah, the dropouts ended upside down, but it didn't seem to be a problem. Maybe not flipping the swingarm and leaving it attached by the original pivot helps in some way?...

Hugo

I kinda think it should be O.K. I made one of those but welded part of it
100_0913.jpg

the bottom horizontal piece with the bottom bracket was welded. I post this to show how he went out of his way NOT to weld. If theres a vote I say yes.[/img]

some layout ideas with stanard swing arm mount

Here is some pics with the swingarm mounted normally

Swing Arm mounted on the original pivot point, the white metal bar is just to hold it at the angle and there will be a rod mounting to the original shock mount on the swing arm and to the shock. The gray swing arm is just placed for location.

DCP03006.JPG

Swing Arm and shock mounted as originally designed.

DCP03009.JPG

I think I can make due with the original setup in the second picture, minus the gray swing arm, and that will allow me to play with some seat ideas.

Thank you all for allowing me to remain in the contest.

Doug

Seat located :)

here is a couple of pics with the new seat mocked up in it general location, pending fit of the pedals.

I will be switching the bike to a bmx freewheel instead to the standard freewheel.

I also score 9 brand new 26x3" flamed tires from my LBS for 7.00 each.

DCP03015.JPG

DCP03017.JPG

DCP03019.JPG

Doug

I say MORE POWER TO YA BROTHER!!! I wanted to switch one o them things into a board tracker by flippin the frame, but I'm gonna chop and re-weld the rear section so that bike is OUT for the build-off.

And the shovel seat is kewl.

ive been thinking about whether this bike should be in the contest or not, and i think that since that bike is WAY more creative and WAY more ingenious that anything ive come up with, then it should be illegal....at least for a contest that i am in!! im impressed bro, that bike is turnin out very cool!!! and all bolt together..very cool
fast eddie outty

fast eddie said:
ive been thinking about whether this bike should be in the contest or not, and i think that since that bike is WAY more creative and WAY more ingenious that anything ive come up with, then it should be illegal....at least for a contest that i am in!! im impressed bro, that bike is turnin out very cool!!! and all bolt together..very cool
fast eddie outty

I am just glad that I am around all the creative gear heads, that reside on this board:)

I have been a programmer for 26 years so thinking outside of the box is a life long passion of mine.

Doug

artsie

RecumbentCountry said:
fast eddie said:
fast eddie outty

I am just glad that I am around all the creative gear heads, that reside on this board:)

I have been a programmer for 26 years so thinking outside of the box is a life long passion of mine.

Doug

Ya there is alot of artistic creativity in writing code... :wink: when I had to program staring outside of the window was a life long passion of mine.

You must have been around since punch cards!

a Question about the shock

I was wondering if it would be legal to add a rocker for the shock as long as it is mounted in the original locations for the shock or replace the shock with a strut rod, as to the fact that the shock is in a pull mode and not in compression mode. I want to build this will the intention of honouring the rules.

Thank you
Doug Morency

The shock is an accesory as you might want to upgrade it or replace a worn one. Go for it

I think this is a build for someplace else, not to discredit the effort, but this build is for traditional frames.

I say go for the build, but not on this thread.

and the build continues :)

skoda said:
I think this is a build for someplace else, not to discredit the effort, but this build is for traditional frames.

I say go for the build, but not on this thread.

Here is pics from today :)

Shock is gone for low tech chain. thew on the Stiletto tank to see what it looks line as well as put on the original sprockets and pedals.

DCP03020.JPG

DCP03023.JPG

DCP03026.JPG

next I have to put a bolt in the seat post to keep the pedal straight, and then mount the shovel seat, and get the hair dryer to remove the decals.

Doug

I like this bike alot. The chain is a great addition, it doesn't get much rattier than that. Keep up the good work...Kelly

This bike is turning out really great, and is exactly what a rat is supposed to be. Take whatever you have and make it better with the parts availible...great job.

Latest posts

Back