◄◄ 55 SPITFIRE ►►

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I've had this frame and wheel set hanging around the garage for a while now and decided to see if I could mock something up today.

The Nexus 7 speed with roller brake will have a cable running to the shifter on the grip with a hand brake lever. I may also end up running a front brake as well.

I kind of like the raw metal finish, but there's also a part of me that want's to do some paint work. I've got the Schwinn claw stencils so I could do that again.

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0007-1.jpg

DSC_0008-1.jpg

DSC_0009-1.jpg

DSC_0014-1.jpg

Does anyone know if I can heat this chainguard tab up with a torch and remove it fairly easily?

DSC_0015-1.jpg

A little 80s Diamond Back cruiser fork action. :wink:

DSC_0021-1.jpg

DSC_0024-1.jpg

deorman said:
fork out for the chrome. :| You know you want to. :mrgreen:

Oh man....that would be steep if it were done right.

May have to opt for the powder coat that is supposed to be close to chrome. :D

I would use an electric grinder with a cutoff wheel on that chainguard tab. I don't know about the heat. It might work but it would be awfully messy. You will need to grind it smooth after anyway? I use the cheap harbor freight $19 grinder with some cutoff discs on everything. Way faster then using my air powered die grinder and no load on the electric motor and no noisy compressor running to keep up.

Those chainguard tabs are on there pretty good. I tried torching one off a 55 frame as well and didn't have much luck. I just left it on as I didn't want to grind on the frame.

I have the original fork and a set of truss rods for this bike so I may end up going that route instead of the Diamond Back forks.

I liked the way the other one I built turned out with the original forks and truss rods...thinking seriously about duplicating this paint scheme.

bc1.jpg

bc5.jpg

bc3.jpg

One of those bikes I regret selling now. :roll:

im really digging the 7spd/roller brake/single lever idea! 8) ive got to work that into a future project somewhere. what gearing are you going to use in order to get the most out of the 7spd? btw......i double dare you to NOT paint the bike! :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back