Newbie needs help with banana seat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently building a 1962 Schwinn Typhoon. I purchased this bike about 20 years ago when I was a kid. After a few repaints and new wheels. I'm stuck at what to do about a seat and handlebars. The bike is a 24" and a little small for me. With a standard seat and cruiser handlebars my knees hit. I was thinking about going the ape hanger and sissy bar route. So I have a few sizing questions.

I'm wondering what size of banana seat I need. I would like the sissy bar to be upright with no lean to the front or rear. I've seen sizes ranging from 16" to 21.5" Are these seats adjustable at all? Secondly what size of sissy bar will I need?

I also need to purchase a new seatpost. Will a standard seatpost work or will I need a dropback post? Should I get a post with a 5/8" or 7/8" clamp size?

Where's the best place to purchase these items? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

102_0574-2.jpg

102_0575.jpg

The StingRay people on here can help you on your seat. You did a nice job of painting your bike. You also need to address the fork you have. It is bent back. It should be straightened or replaced. Gary

Nice looking ride! I have a soft spot for 24" bikes myself.

With a 24" being an 'in between' sized bike, a lucky 7 seatpost would permit you to adjust the seat forward and back to get the desired straight sissy bar. I'm new to 'discovering the nuances' of Schwinn, but I think that may be a 13/16" seatpost.

Like Gary said, there is a plethora of knowledgable folks on here to help you out.

Cheers!
Dr. T

I've got a banana seat that I will measure today :wink: I had it on a 20" and a 26" at one time so it should fit your bike :) Great job on your repaint too 8)
Nick :D

B607 said:
The StingRay people on here can help you on your seat. You did a nice job of painting your bike. You also need to address the fork you have. It is bent back. It should be straightened or replaced. Gary
I never noticed the fork. Thanks for pointing that out. After comparing it to other bikes. I can definitely see the difference. Is that something I could fix easily? Would it be best just to replace it? This may be a good excuse to buy a springer fork. Do they make springer forks for 24" bikes?

There are people on here that have jigs to straighten forks. If you do a search or ask, someone will point you to the thread on how to straighten a fork.
If you can find a spring fork off of a Schwinn Krate it should fit your bike. Gary

Latest posts

Back