My 1989 Specialized Rockhopper City Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is the bike that kicked-off my latest obsession of building and restoring bikes. It came to me as a single-speeder that kids at University of Puget Sound had been using to run around campus. The frame, forks, cranks, seatpost, stem, wheels, and cantilever brakes were the only parts of the original bike that I used. The inspirations for it were classic touring bikes, aluminum, and leather.

Here are some pics!

31428_1443868661477_1375922451_1203199_6379484_n.jpg

31428_1443868461472_1375922451_1203195_4169778_n.jpg

n1375922451_103963_5758.jpg

n1375922451_103964_6010.jpg

n1375922451_103971_7738.jpg

Thanks, guys! Funny thing is that I built it to handle the rain up here so I could run errands no matter what the weather. So far, I haven't had the heart to get it wet. :? It rides really smoothly, though, and the mountain bike gearing makes it really easy to climb hills with the bag loaded with groceries. So much more practical than the racer-wannabe road bike that it replaced!

cman said:
Nice. Did you powder coat that?
Yes, I did have it powder coated. Since these pictures were taken, I've added some silver die-cut "Specialized" Logos to the head and down tube. I'm going to have some powder coating done on my current project, too. I sprayed my previous two, a 1970 Stingray Fastback and a 1950 Schwinn Panther, because I was matching original colors and masking/pin striping. Powder coating is nice, though. So shiny and durable! The shop I use also does media blasting. I just drop parts off and pick them up a week or so later. Prices are phenomenal, too. For instance, the candy (two-stage) job on this bike only cost $90 - blasted, coated, everything!

Outstanding restoration and a really beautiful bike. I hope you'll forgive me coveting it. I worked in a bike shop and I sold many of those back in '89, probably more than any other mountain bike. A very popular model, where did they all end up?

If I have one criticism..... In my opinion it needs a polished Blackburn EX-1 rack. That curly one isn't exactly period perfect.

Haha! You're forgiven, MadMick! And, about the rack . . . I went round and round over what to use. I was going to buy a Tubus, but saw the Soma rack that's on it and had to have it. I really like the artsy, whimsical design. And, it's lightweight, strong, and relatively inexpensive. That's what's fun about building your own bike, anyway, right? Doing it the way you want it. :D

MadMick said:
Outstanding restoration and a really beautiful bike. I hope you'll forgive me coveting it. I worked in a bike shop and I sold many of those back in '89, probably more than any other mountain bike. A very popular model, where did they all end up?

If I have one criticism..... In my opinion it needs a polished Blackburn EX-1 rack. That curly one isn't exactly period perfect.

I know where at least one of them went :D Mine is a 1990 with really wrecked paint, and I was using it as a commuter until recently. It will be going back to offroad duty soon.

Outstanding work on your restoration RestoRodSchwinn!!

rh_19.jpg

This thing's for sale. I've ridden it less than 20 miles. It's really like new to be honest. Asking $600 with waterproof Ortlieb Bag, nice trunk bag that has a rain cover, rain cover for the Brooks. Ready for wet weather commuting. I'll post it in the for sale section later with updated pics.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=47.626708,-122.160507

Thats just Really nice you would spend big money on a small brand company to get that nice .The RH's a nice riding frame and built to ride a bunch. Here's what happened to mine in RRBO5
dscf2127wy.jpg

By xc204 at 2010-07-19

Latest posts

Back