Painting Rims Red, How to avoid the Spokes?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to paint my Rims Red. But the thought of taping each spoke and then trying to peel the tape off after is Hashing my Mellow man 8) . Two seconds of spraying and hours of peeling . Who holds the secret? I know some of you have traveled this road before. Any Advice?

100_1414-1.jpg

100_1405.jpg

have a couple beers while doing it...its not so bad!!!

Cut a lengthwise slit in some straws and tape them closed around each spoke. If you wish to prep the rims with ease, tape all the spokes together and then remove the nipples. Like so.
IMG_7408.jpg

Normally if you have chrome spokes just spray over them and later you can take a hoby knife or fingernail and scrape the paint right off the spokes.

What I have done before is take a handful of small straws, like they have at convenience stores for stirring coffee, and slit them lengthwise (on one side only) with a razor blade. Then slide them onto the spoke and tape them at the end closest to the hub so they won't move. Paint, allow drying time, remove. You can slide them down to the spoke nipple, or over it, depending on the look you want.

Latest posts

Back