Found Schwinn Electric Chopper for sale... didn't buy.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Took the family to Great Wolf Lodge in Williamsburg, VA (less than 2 hours from the house), while there I stopped at some used sporting goods store across the street from the HUGE Yankee Candle place to look for bikes/parts.

They had a fair number of bikes there, nothing too special, but I did see a plastic v-twin motor that stood out to me. It was on a Scwinn Stingray chopper and then I noticed the bike was electric. I guess the plastic engine was to conceal the batteries/electronics, it seems to be an electric rear hub with the fat rim/wide tire on the bike. It's the "adult" sized chopper. I didn't know they made that, here's an article I looked up, but didn't read ( http://www.gizmag.com/go/4054/ )

The pricetag, I'm pretty sure, said $62.50. It was probably worth it, but I wasn't interested. I just think that rear electric wheel/tire could be used for something cool for those who are into the electric stuff.

Here's where it is: http://www.replaysportsva.com/

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
I can't believe you passed it up :shock:

I don't buy things just because, I buy them if I want it or like it or if I know for certain that I can make some money from it. This, I wasn't sure. Plus, I didn't have room in the van, haha.

i just stuck one of the hub wheels on one of my projects to size it up. i probaly would have got it to get the rest of the electronics i need. or leave it whole and copy them. i want to run mine at 36v anyway. i'm told it's possible if you get a 36v controller, and also that the plastic engine has a space for the third battery.

Just got this about two weeks ago at a automotive swap meet. Only paid five dollars! Haven't tested the motor yet. I would have paid five just for tire and wheel. Didn't even have to haggle over it. I ask how much he said five dollars, I said sold.
Firsttry325-Copy.jpg

Firsttry326-Copy.jpg

sean1960 said:
Just got this about two weeks ago at a automotive swap meet. Only paid five dollars! Haven't tested the motor yet. I would have paid five just for tire and wheel. Didn't even have to haggle over it. I ask how much he said five dollars, I said sold.

Sean, I think you're gonna' need a controller for this motor. It's basically a stepper motor (4 wires?). Just hooking up power to it wouln't make it turn very far.

I know and it may be too costly to pursue. it's a 24 volt dc 250 watt motor. I need to find a model no. EB2420DL/110 controller and a throttle (potentiometer) to go with it. I didn't really buy it for the motor just needed the tire and wheel. If I can find the necessary parts cheap enough I may use it in the future.

sean1960 said:
I know and it may be too costly to pursue. it's a 24 volt dc 250 watt motor. I need to find a model no. EB2420DL/110 controller and a throttle (potentiometer) to go with it. I didn't really buy it for the motor just needed the tire and wheel. If I can find the necessary parts cheap enough I may use it in the future.

Let me know if you end up not using the electric hub. I might buy it from you for the right price!!

Hey, yoder327 I'll let you know if I decide to sell it. I may have found a controller and throttle on an old scooter a friend is giving me. He said it's 24 volt but the batteries won't hold a charge anymore so they just stopped riding it.

Latest posts

Back