NEW PICS...Craigslist find Schwinn Hornet?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just purchased this bike on craigslist for $125 sight unseen. The ad said it was a 70's Schwinn Hornet. Did they make the Hornet in the 70's? I did a little searching online and could only find Hornets from the 50's. Hopefully this will be a good purchase. I'll post more pics when I take possesion. Let me know what you think. Thanks Brian

SchwinnHornet.jpg

Re: Craigslist find Schwinn Hornet?

That is a sweet bike looks early 50's to me I was say just the tank is worth 2 bills so you did really good. Great find.

npence said:
That is a sweet bike looks early 50's to me I was say just the tank is worth 2 bills so you did really good. Great find.

please tell me you would not part out that original bike :shock: Just kidding :mrgreen:

rustymotors said:
npence said:

please tell me you would not part out that original bike :shock: Just kidding :mrgreen:
I would sell the bike but wouldnt part it out unless some one painted it with house paint or pieced it together like you Ramhorn then maybe.

Ya the low limit on those straight bar tanks on Ebay is now $200, haven't seen one go for less in a couple months now.

Those look like middle weight fenders though?

Im thinkin of moving to NE! Can't find anything like the stuff you guys come up with there & i'm just a little south of you. Guess I'll just keep looking. Great find! 8)

I would never dream of parting this bike out. I am super excited about this find. I'm just proud to be in this part of the forum. Hopefully this will be the first of many more.

I always hope someone hid a roll of cash in their tank and forgot about it. You guys in the midwest have all the old bikes. Post up closeup pics and the serial number to get a good idea of year and original parts. That looks like a great deal.

Tailwinds said:
Those look like middle weight fenders though?

I'm guessing ballooner. Look how thick the rims appear. Either way, it was a real deal. Gary

is that a 24"? i paid the same for mine.

Thanks for beating me out of that one, it is just a couple of miles from my house. It looks like a 20 or 24 inch bike. Look how short it looks next to the work bench.

yeah the 24"s dont have much value. i have not seen many 20" with a tank. this is a nice survivor anyway you cut it.

Just picked up the bike this weekend. According to the seriel number (C95511) it could either be a 52' or a 53'. Is there anyway to narrow this down to the exact year. It looked like Schwinn used the same seriel numbers for July 52' and November 53'. Overall I'm pretty pleased with this bike. The tank is scratched up a little bit, but luckily no dents. I'm also missing the horn unit. So if anyone has one lying around. I would be glad to take it off your hands. The back wheel has some broken spokes. I plan on rebuilding the wheels anyway. I think I may buy some different wheels right now. Just so I can ride it while I work on the original wheels. What do you guys think about putting a deluxe chain guard on it. If anyone has one of those laying also. I will take it off your hands. I'll post more pics as I get it cleaned up. Let me hear your ideas and what you think. Thanks, Brian

102_0626.jpg

102_0628.jpg

102_0625.jpg

102_0623.jpg

102_0622.jpg

102_0620.jpg

Latest posts

Back