Cleaning chrome and paint questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok so I hear some people say they use chemicals, some polish, some sos pads to clean rust etc off chrome and wheels, but what do you use and why?

I just got my stingray fastback :D project and want to clean her up real nice for some cruisin before I decide if I want to restore it completely or just leave her unrestored original.

Also Ive read not to polish/clean the chain gaurd but looks like someone beat me to it :| but oh well Ill get it rescreened or a decal kit, but what do you use to restore/clean/polish the paint? I got all kinds of meguiars polishes and waxes for my Chevelle but what works best on old schwinn paint?

Thanks Ty

meguiars rules ! try #7 on the paint.
i usually hit the chrome with sos pad first;
using a bucket with dish soap added to the water
for extra sliding power.then use your meguiars
chrome cleaner/polish.

On chrome I use Turtle Wax Chrome Polish & 0000 steel wool & a little elbow grease. I have used this numerous times. Works great! Removes the rust, but doesn't scratch the chrome. :mrgreen:

I like the Hooch method for chrome WD40 and a brass brush, just spray the WD40 on the chrome and a light touch with the brass brush then wipe it off. After that i like to polish it with chrome polish and wax, works great. On the paint i use a little bet of car soap and warm water, then wax. :wink:

For chrome, I used steel wool and then to get around the spokes, a wire tooth brush :wink: For paint, Mothers or Maas work THE best 8)
Before:
001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

After:
011.jpg

012-1.jpg

014-1.jpg

013-1.jpg

Ok good ideas Im guessing using polish etc around the schwinn lettering on the frame is a no no? I gotta get some more chrome polish im all out anyone got any favorites?

pick said:
On chrome I use Turtle Wax Chrome Polish & 0000 steel wool & a little elbow grease. I have used this numerous times. Works great! Removes the rust, but doesn't scratch the chrome. :mrgreen:

Do you just rub it in than buff it with a terry cloth? or just the steal wool?

sdJOE86 said:
pick said:

After lightly rubbing it in with the steel wool, let it glaze, then buff. Used 3M cleaner/wax on a '63 Typhoon and it's paint and chrome are shiny.

LowpowerD said:
sdJOE86 said:
pick said:

After lightly rubbing it in with the steel wool, let it glaze, then buff. Used 3M cleaner/wax on a '63 Typhoon and it's paint and chrome are shiny.

+1 Works great with little elbow grease! 8)

Be careful with the steel wool even 0000, its still steel and harder then chrome. It can and will scratch the chrome. WD 40 and brass wire brush and for big areas WD 40 and tin foil. I also like Brasso. Just my thoughts :D

anyone try coca-cola and foil? saw it on tv but forgot how effective it was.

X-RAY said:
anyone try coca-cola and foil? saw it on tv but forgot how effective it was.

Never tried it before, but it sounds like a sticky mess! :lol:

Latest posts

Back