Bareknuckle Brawler - Finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - Saddle slam!!

I want the saddle to be as slammed as I can get it, so cut the seat tube down and made a new offset seatpost.... the offset is not huge, just enough to get the saddle back a little more and down nice and low. The seatpost will be welded to the frame and the saddle will bolted on as normal.

DSCF1445-1.jpg

DSCF1446-1.jpg

I also flipped the clamp on the Brooks saddle I'll be using to get it sitting as low as possible.

DSCF1448-1.jpg

Still a bit of grinding and fitting to get it down more.

DSCF1450-1.jpg

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - More tank progress

I made the other tank half in my lunch break today. Still have to cut and fit together before I braze it......I just slipped one half inside the other to get an idea of how it will look and to work out the width I want.

DSCF1460-1.jpg

Trial fit. Just a little more shaping and peening to do before I'm happy with it.

DSCF1457-1.jpg

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - New tank pics

Black and copper looks fantastic together. Though I am bias, I used to have a copper XY with black steelies and thin whites :lol:

hewey said:
Black and copper looks fantastic together. Though I am bias, I used to have a copper XY with black steelies and thin whites :lol:

The plan for this build is bare metal hewey, but if I don't like it when it goes together, black will be the next choice..........it does look purty :) .

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - Start of tank

ej599 said:
Nice tank!

zelkmaster said:
This is shaping up to be one of my favorites !!!!!! Nice work

herr_rudolf said:
Nice work on the fabrication!
Makes me almost wanna wish I had some more fabrication to do on my build...

proceed my friend...

Thanks for the kind comments guys. I'm enjoying fabricating the tank.........even though it's been 16 years since I've done any coppersmithing, the hand skills are starting to come back pretty quick........just like ridin' a bike :wink: . I plan on making some copper grips as well.

hewey said:
Copper chainguard... you know you want to... :wink:

Peatbog said:
Well, it would match the copper fenders.

Sorry. No fenders or chainguards on any of my bikes :shock: . Might be a couple of small copper things :wink: , but I won't be going overboard.

Just been having a good look at some of the awesome bikes in this build-off, and Wow!!!, there is some outstanding work being done. I feel a bit like a "poor cousin" when it comes to some of the amazing frames and parts being used.
I've also noticed a couple of the ideas I had have already been used, so I'll have to rethink a couple of things..........guess a lot of us have similar taste and ideas no matter what part of the world we come from :) .
Back to the bike, I'm going to build a springer front end using the triple tree fork. I had always planned it for this build, and was going to leave it for a while until I got a few other things finished, but I'll probably start on it over the next few days.

bean said:
J...I've also noticed a couple of the ideas I had have already been used, so I'll have to rethink a couple of things..........guess a lot of us have similar taste and ideas no matter what part of the world we come from :) ...

Don't feel bad about that. We may seem different, in the end on a forum like this we're all the same. Many of us, if not all are inspired by the same things, so sollutions, designs, and ideas are bound to get awkwardly similar in a lot of cases. Just try to make it your own by using things of where your comming from. Your background, not your part of the world persee, but that's an option too. I prefer to put in some Dutch influences in my builds. A diamondframe is part of that.

NICE JOB!.....I wonder how much it would cost to send the trophy to Sydney.

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - Got bars?

Picked up the bars today.I think/hope they'll produce the look I'm after once I cut them in half :shock: . Having a hard time trying to find a pair of suitable stems though :( . I may have to get 28.6mm and shim them to 25.4mm.

Satori Cruiser bars

DSCF1476-1.jpg

DSCF1477-1.jpg

KOTA said:
NICE JOB!.....I wonder how much it would cost to send the trophy to Sydney.

Thanks KOTA 8) . I''ll just be happy if I can produce a bike that I, and a few other folks like.

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - Mock up - Sorta Kinda

I took the frame for this build to work to weld on a coaster brake arm mount, and had to leave it there because I didn't have time today to work on it.
So, I'm playing around with the bars and a stem I borrowed to try out for size, and look at another frame exactly the same as the Bareknuckle Brawler (I picked up a few of these bikes when they were on a $78 special and have another one still in the box for a future project). I built the green bike over the Christmas break, and painted it when it was too humid. Consequently, it has gone very patchy and is getting worse by the week, so I stripped it of parts a couple of days ago to repaint when our weather is drier.
I chucked the parts onto the green frame so I could get a better idea of how the bars will look.

Looks pretty good green, but this bike will be either be bare metal or black. I hope to be able to start on the springer front end this weekend, just have to make a visit to the the junkyard tomorrow to try and pick up a shock.

DSCF1479-1.jpg

DSCF1483-1.jpg

DSCF1484-1.jpg

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - Mock up - Sorta Kinda

bean said:
Looks pretty good green

You're certainly right about that!!
I'd really keep that colorpaintjob in mind if I were you... Eventhough it would be slightly less fitting the theme. 8)
The bars/set-up look great. I really love this mock up!

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - Mmmm......Green??

herr_rudolf said:
bean said:
Looks pretty good green

You're certainly right about that!!
I'd really keep that colorpaintjob in mind if I were you... Eventhough it would be slightly less fitting the theme. 8)
The bars/set-up look great. I really love this mock up!

I agree herr_rudolf, the more I look at the green frame with the parts fitted, the more I like it. I will be keeping it in mind if I don't dig the baremetal look.

Great job! I'm liking that color combo also. MEAN GREEN -GODZILLA.. THE HULK...PEACE

that bike is looking sweet! :mrgreen: lots of really cool fabrication tricks,and the copper tank should look great with the bare metal! :D

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - Springer parts

texasbigjon said:
that bike is looking sweet! :mrgreen: lots of really cool fabrication tricks,and the copper tank should look great with the bare metal! :D

Thanks texasbigjon, seeing as I can't easily get the cool parts you guys in the US have access to, I have to build my own (I guess that's how many of the hot rodding pioneers did it though). I've still got a bit of fabrication to do.....parts will be appearing gradually as I get the time to do them. I picked a donor this morning for the shock to use for the springer front end.
Quick mock-up, and it looks OK dimension wise. More to come next week, as I've got a full two days of rehearsal for our high school musical, and won't get to play with bikes this week-end.

Donor

DSCF1485-1.jpg

Quick mock-up. I'll be using longer fork legs to get some suspension travel

DSCF1487-1.jpg

DSCF1488-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back