Hotrod Hobbyhorse 6/26 Not out of the race!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hotrod Hobbyhorse 5/18 tank and fender

COOL :D Great idea for the "tank" :wink: Do you think that you would ever want to put a crank in it and ride it :?:

Re: Hotrod Hobbyhorse 5/18 tank and fender

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Do you think that you would ever want to put a crank in it and ride it :?:

When it's all said and done, I'm thinking it will be able to accept a crank and run a chain (with minimal mods). However, the point of this build is more to embrace minimalism and simplicity and harken back to the days before the bicycle as we know it was tearing up the streets, so I don't think I'll ever drop a set of cranks back in. Plus, I don't think anyone's ever done a RRBO without cranks and chain, so it's an exciting trail to blaze (we shall see what the voting crowd thinks in the end :shock: )

But....

I got the fender installed in the frame

IMG_2523.jpg

IMG_2524.jpg

And then pulled out my CAD equipment (Cardboard Aided Design...I didn't think of that one myself) courtesy of Little Caesers. If you take a look back to my inspiration photo you might be able to figure out where this is going... :wink: :wink:

IMG_2525.jpg

IMG_2527.jpg

Re: Hotrod Hobbyhorse 5/18-2 CAD designing

I'm really enjoying this build. I like and use scooters (kickbike, footbike). The Hobby Horse pre-dates the scooter, so I always thought they were cool!
This was in RRBBO4 viewtopic.php?f=31&t=18638
It's looking REAL good!

Re: Hotrod Hobbyhorse 5/18-2 CAD designing

Did ya miss me? :roll:

Well I graduated on Sunday, and am now a proud Musicologist (as my degree says at least :D ) and now I have a bit of down time to pounce on this puppy.

Today I got the rear wheel all painted and thrown on the frame, along with the Brooks saddle I will be using.
IMG_2528.jpg

IMG_2530.jpg

IMG_2533.jpg

Thought you might also like ot see my state of the art workshop
IMG_2535.jpg

I took her for a cruise down the back ally, it's still tons of fun and totally silent!

Now I've got ideas for foot pegs after noodling around on it, and I goodwill turned up a toy which I think will really give this bike some personality. Next installment: fender completion, pinstriping, and a horse head.

Re: Hotrod Hobbyhorse 5/24 rolling (again) chasis

Lovely outcome so far!
Funny to see the different tones in yellow this time. The outdoor pics show a beautiful yellow. No, it's beautiful becaus of the combo with black and red.
8)

Just came to me:
Ever thought of flipping the frame upside down? Sure, you have to come up with a luminous idea for mounting a seat, but I wonder how the tube-angles would differ from 'right side up'. The subtle changes a flipped frame creates are often amazingly dramatic... In a good way.

Re: Hotrod Hobbyhorse 5/24 rolling (again) chasis

Ah ha!

Sorry one and all, I have been away from this forum since the start of June. I am now moved down to Glencoe IL, and just recently got the Flying Merkel delivered here so I have something to ride. The Hobbyhorse is still in Milwaukee WI, I don't really have a place to store/work on it here sadly. I am trying to figure out how I can work it, I have every intention of finishing this build workspace or none, I just may need to get VERY creative on how. I hope to be able to get it down here sometime in the near future and finish it up, I know (for the most part) exactly how I want to take the rest of the build, the biggest X factor is where to get it done.

I'm not out yet ladies and gents, not by a long shot. This horse is going to finish the race come heck or high water :wink: :D

Latest posts

Back