Rusted Robin

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I didn't think I would join in the fun this year since I had no time, no money and no bike for a build. Well now I got a bike so the rest is easy enough to find or get by without.

This bike as been trying to get to me for the past 3 years and I finally let it arrive today on my doorstep. My friend Robin wanted me to have it because he thinks I can make something cool out of it. I finally accepted the offer for the soul purpose of the build off. I know I was stupid but the time was just not right until now.

It's basically a blank canvas right now and I have some ideas but nothing particular. I know I want it dirty but that could change. Seeing one of these around here is like a sighting of Haley's comet, doesn't happen too often. Owning one is next to unheard of, so I want to make it justice. It won't be a short build.

The bike is in running order and as a single red band hub. It's rough but it's all there. I posted the serial#, any of you Schwinn meisters know what year it is?

DSCN1211.jpg

DSCN1212.jpg

DSCN1213.jpg

DSCN1214.jpg

Another "old" guy! Gonna be interesting to see where you go with this. (Old GUYS RULE)

deorman said:
By the code that would be Feb.1970, but that's when they are supposed to have switched to steering head #'s. :? Maybe some sort of final run on an old line :? or something?

Thanks for the info Bro. I knew it wasn't that old and I won't feel too bad about doing "stuff" to it. :mrgreen:

xddorox said:
I didn't think I would join in the fun this year since I had no time, no money and no bike for a build. Well now I got a bike so the rest is easy enough to find or get by without.

That's it! Once you a frame there's no reason why you should not enter the build-off. Glad you got one. A very nice one, that is...
Good luck and have fun building!

glad your in and to let you know i was not going to enter in 09 until sensor put that schwinn frame and tank up for sale

Played around with a mock up made from available parts. Nothing set in stone yet apart from dumping those 26X 1 3/8 wheels. I'll save the hub for a future project. I like the apes but I might go for something a bit more aggressive, short of boardtracking it. I find the bike to be very responsive for a heavy cruiser. Not as laid back as my other rides.

DSCN1250.jpg

Nice bike. I kinda like the paint she's wearing alraedy. Good luck!

Took the thing apart today and hit a few walls. That headseat just won't budge and the rear fender has a couple of nasty stubborn nuts and bolts. So I decided to go ahead anyways with the plan.

I masked what I couldn't remove and made just about the worst and fastest prep job of my life. Used some lighter fluid and a piece of steel wool all over the bike.

DSCN1284.jpg

I then applied the color using some purpose made Graffiti spray bombs. That stuff is amazing. It goes in no matter what and lays it down pretty thick.

DSCN1285.jpg

DSCN1286.jpg

Now I left the thing outside under lock and hoping for some rain. I want the untreated rust underneath the paint to come thru in about 2 weeks. I hope it works. Until then I'm going back on my bigger more pressing project under way:

Stuff005.jpg

Whoa a home built teardrop camper!
I've been looking around for a cheap pop up but may have to try this myself, if I don't find one.
Keep the bike posts coming but let me know how the camper turns out.

dude, you gotta elaborate on that camper! i'd like to see it have its own thread! 8)

Latest posts

Back