Need to install rear carrier but missing frame mount

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got an old ballon frame with no fitting on the frame behind the rear axle mount. I'm supposing that there are some fittings available for mounting such. The supports are not long enough to mount on the axle bolt and it will take a fitting of some kind. What is the name or term for that fitting?

From my understanding, you are looking to put a rear (cargo) rack on a frame that does not have mounting holes for either a rack or fender braces?

I'm not sure of anything made specifically to for that but I have made some small brackets that can do that. I have them mounted on the front fender braces on my frankenstein Murray. I can try to take some pictures of them to give you an idea of what they are. The only thing with mine is that I'm not sure how they would handle any weight on the rack. I designed mine specifically for fender brace extensions.

I made brackets for my prewar frame so I could use a postwar rack. I used a piece of 7/8" wide X 1/8" thick steel I got at Ace Hardware. I put star washers on the rack end of the bracket so it wouldn't slip. Gary
DSC03797.jpg

That's what I was afraid of. Having to build my own...lol. Thought maybe someone had seen such hardware from the factory.
Thanks..thats a good picture.
The bike was sold to me as a monark super deluxe...47 model. But it makes no sense that its a super deluxe without those mounts. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Monark didn't put those ears on the frame until the late 40's or early 50's. They changed the way the rear of the chain guard mounts at that time as well. Gary

Cut off the old legs from the rack and build some new, longer legs?
Build extensions?
Put some p-clamps on the seat stays?

I like the other solutions better. bikes are really valued by the component parts added up in my opinion. Especially vintage racks. To modify a rack or even a frame would devalue the final value of the bike.
If we were talking about just a rider...it wouldn't bother me at all to do that.

Korporal said:
Cut off the old legs from the rack and build some new, longer legs?
Build extensions?
Put some p-clamps on the seat stays?

Ha well I think your stating the obvious on that mount part...lol
What I'm trying to do is determine if someone sold me swamp ground in Florida if you catch my drift.
I'll post a few pictures that show why its suspect in my opinion.
The real problem is that there doesn't seem to be any way to take the serial numbers and verify authenticity.

B607 said:
Monark didn't put those ears on the frame until the late 40's or early 50's. They changed the way the rear of the chain guard mounts at that time as well. Gary

Latest posts

Back