Mystery Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi All! Just returned home from a 2 week vacation in Michigan. Did a little bike hunting while I was there (okay, so it was yard sales with the wife) but I came away with this $20.00 buy. (And some quality time with the wife! :p ) I certainly could use some help identifying the frame. I've seen plenty of single top tube cantilevers but only a few twin top tube frames. Most of those still had head badges or some better identifying mark. This one has numbers on the dropout but nothing anywhere else. The bottom bracket hardware is new to me as far as design. It's a "frankenbike" for sure as I don't believe the handlebars and stem are correct and really don't think that Messinger seat is original either. Anyway, can I get some help identifying this frame? Pics!

DSCN1788-1.jpg

DSCN1785-1.jpg

DSCN1791-1.jpg

DSCN1790-1.jpg

DSCN1798-1.jpg

DSCN1796-1.jpg

I appreciate any help!

I'm pretty certain that you've got an H.P Snyder built frame. :wink: The dropouts, looped upper rear stay, twin top tubes, and fork crown all look like Snyder stuff, at least. It could have been a Rollfast or Hawthorne among others; the former was the house brand of H.P. Snyder and the second was the name that Montgomery Wards sold re-badged Snyder bikes under.

The mags aren't original, but they look like good quality stuff. Suntour coaster brakes are nice hubs. I've had a few. It would make a neat little bmx for sure.

ratina said:
I would guess Snyder built as well, looks just like my Hawthorne

heres an old "before" pic

haw2.jpg

I don't see a hole for a rear brake (Cant see fork) so yours might have been a coaster brake?

I just remembered... I had the same frame before, and mine didn't have the rear brake hole either. For what it's worth.

They are indeed Skyway Tuff Wheels. I was trying to figure out a good way to bring back the yellow color on them. I've received a suggestion from one board member that I have used in the past on a cheaper set of mags that worked well. (Dishwasher) I'll probably go that route with these but wanted to consider the metal hubs survivability. You can see some area where I cleaned off the "oxidation" or whatever it would be called on plastic with a good car wash and some elbow grease. The yellow that I cleaned came back nice and bright so I may just keep at them with that method. Undecided at this point...

I had wondered about the sprocket as it's the first I've seen of that unique design. (Unique to me) Can anybody put a born on date for the frame? Not sure how to decode the serial number.

Latest posts

Back