VALUE OF YOUR BIKES?????

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
SO..I thought I would post this question and stir up the pot a bit. WHAT ARE YOUR BIKES REALLY WORTH???

Is the answer what ever someone will pay for it??? How about the answer I hear from time to time " WELL THEY ARE ON EBAY FOR THIS MUCH"

SO without sounding like the normal LOWBALLER that answers all the Craigslist ad's...why do people have bikes for sale that are ridiculously priced yet always post how bad they want to or HAVE to sell them??

Most of us are in this BIKE thing for the love of building and creating something different and unique agreed??? When I finish a bike ...I never look at it as a profit making venture. Even if the bike has been totally redone, the chances of anyone paying what I have into it is ZERO.

So why do so many so called bike people take these old wrecks to swap meets and sales tryinig to get $450-600 for an old rusty APPLE KRATE that is going to cost twice that to restore???

Old torn up seats are the best. SO someone really expects to sell an old ripped seat for $150 or more???? I dont care if it survived every war since WW1.

Guess my question again is this???? So why ask so much and NOT sell your items???? What is it REALLY worth? Just to give you an example. If you are building a bike for fun and not trying to be that builder that has to have every part original.....why pay so much for tires and rims??? You can buy a complete bike at Walmart for $99 that has good rims tires and tubes. Use the wheeels and throw the rest away. You are $100 ahead.

I was recently at a SWAPMEET ( if you call it that) in Phoenix. A guy there had several Schwinn Stingrays ( Krates) of all kinds. Old..rusty things. Still had a price tag of $300 on them. There they sat..all day long. End of the day..they all went back in the truck to be unloaded and restacked somewhere.

So im stirring the pot to get the reactions of other bike people. And im not one to try to lowball anyone on bikes and parts. If you are asking too much i simply leave the item with you to own another day. SO BIKE LOVERS...help me understand the madness...why over price your stuff if you really NEED to or want to sell???

The wheel question is easy... the wheels off that cheap bike are not as good. Rideable, but not good. Brake isn't great and won't stay true. It's like asking why rims for a BMW cost more than a Kia.

As for the rest... who knows. If you NEED to get money for a bike you will take less. If you can wait for that one guy looking for what you have you'll make more.

Some are looking to pay for their hobby, I get that. Some are just trying to make a quick buck, I get that too. But on here I think we are all hobbyists with a love for custom bikes. We want what only can be built and know the rewarding feeling of accomplishment when it is ridden. I ride my bike a lot with my daughter and love the looks I get from others on the trail. Knowing they spent thousands and I am doing the same for less. I understand unique and nostalgia and thus it has value. I also under stand the level of quality most of the older bikes where make with that nothing new has as much effort put in. I also like to know that I have not spent my hard earned money on crap. I like to think my bike is worth something for all I put in to it, but honestly not one could love it like me.

Normally speaking I am reasonable with my prices. But I buy at near scrap value, and hardly ever buy anything for them. I just clean them up and throw them together with what I have laying around. If I double my money I'm happy selling it but if not I keep it for my collection.

I think some of the "married guys" here might list their bikes to please the wife but put a crazy price on it so they don't have to sell it. :wink: :mrgreen:

Another factor to enter into the the discussion is related to the " what someone is willing to pay " theory, and that would be an insurance claim value. Here we may need an appraisal . Something to think about if we have home moaners ( sp intentional ) insurance. That aside, if I buy a bike new and use it then the value depreciates maybe 30% to 50% depending on condition. If I build a bike from used quality parts,then it is worth to me what I paid for those parts and the loss for depreciation is in my labor.And then there is the value of giving....priceless.

The answer is truly, what someone is willing to pay, if you attach the value monetarily. I have never bought a bike based on monetary value. I buy them for the best reason, because I like them. That being said, I also build them to suit me for the same reason. I found out a long time ago that I will take a beating (monetarily) if/when I sell them. A good example was, a bike I had $600.00 into, I built it for me. I rode it a few years and liked it very well, a need for money arose. I posted it on CL priced very fairly for a quick sale @ $250.00. The buyer showed up, we talked bikes, it was obvious he was a bike guy. So, he says "any wiggle room" (price wise) I responded " you can wiggle the money out of your pocket into my hand, or I can wiggle the bike back into my bike rack." :wink: He bought it, as he knew it was a deal any way! The ral "Value" for me is being able to have/ride/work on these old treasures. I didnt go into it looking to make money. :mrgreen:

I agree with what your saying, I browse ebay for parts etc and some of the prices im like WHAT IN THE ?! what kind of person would pay $575 for a set of schwinn tires... its on there ive seen it. But I think the answer is some people are screwed some people belive thats what its worth becaue thats what people will pay after all thats what determines an objects value is how much someone will pay for it right? unfortunately thats what drives prices up for people like us who actually want to enjoy bikes.

Like you I dont put a dollar value on my bikes, the ones in my collection value dont matter because im not planning to sell them even though some ive got $1500 into otheres ive seen the same on ebay go for $600+. But... I do buy and sell reg bikes like others on here do also I use that cash to fund my bike addiction those I put dollar values on because well thats what im planning to do is flip them I usually look on my local craigslist and see what equal bikes are going for and price them $25-$40 cheaper to flip em quicker as im not into it to make big bucks.

my $0.02

Ty

I'm into bikes because I love them, if I was in a place where I could make any money on them then I'd be in more trouble because I'd just end up buying more. If I have a bike to sell I price it based on local pricing, what I think is a good deal for others, and the least I'd take before just keeping it. I've never *had* to sell any bike, but if I did I suspect I would just put it up for a cheap price based on the fact that I needed money quick, I'd probably also be selling tools, furniture, appliances and whatever else too, so it also makes me facepalm when I see "MUST SELL, NEED MONEY ASAP, BOUGHT LAST YEAR FOR $1250, SELL FOR $1000" haha, I don't think you really need the money, you just want some.

I've had a bike for sale lately, a 1989 Schwinn Prelude with a rear Aerospoke, a well tuned bike. I bought a new bike for $350 and wanted to put some of that money back in the bank, I don't need too, but this bike just mostly sits and takes up room. So I started high ($350) though I've seen them for more in worse condition with no upgrades on eBay. Waited about a week and put it up for $250. Lots of offers to buy just the Aerospoke for $150, I told each of them I'd sell them the whole bike for $200, they could keep the rear wheel, put on their old one and sell the bike themselves and make back most of their money, nobody took me up on it. When people lowball me, I don't get mad, even if the lowball is all I can expect to get for the bike, I'll just keep it, I like bikes. haha

The bikes I pour time into to build are priceless to me, it's hard to imagine someone else riding it who didn't build it and won't respect it like I do, but in expectation of people wanting them I do come up with a crazy price in my head that I know would be worth me letting go of it and allowing me to source and build another the same or better. Everyone tries to buy my tall bike, lots of people have tried to buy my Sand Rover, and now people are offering me cash for my stupid SpinCycle. Tall bike, wouldn't sell, don't want to see anyone get hurt, I feel like you have to build one of these to have the respect for it to keep you safe. The Sand Rover, $500, not a penny less, it's a really cool bike, but it was a labor of love, a bike built with a purpose and it took me a while to find 2 (cheap) OCC Chopper bikes ($20 and $15). SpinCycle, haha, after the Christmas parade I might take some cash for it.

I too don't get it, build it, love it, ride it. Sell doesn't easily fit in there. Bikes don't take up that much space and I don't have to pay insurance, taxes, and tags on them when they sit around, so when I see some built bikes sell so quickly I'm like, what?

There is a guy on Richmond Craigslist that flips "vintage" bikes, he includes detailed photos and always has a photo of the bike's chrome pieces, crank, chainring, bearings, cups, etc... on a towel freshly polished on his kitchen table. New cables, grips, tires, tubes, waxed frames, offers delivery and stands behind the bikes he sells. The prices are comparable with new Walmart bikes! I've e-mailed him, he does it because he loves to work on them and save the nice older bikes, he hardly makes enough to cover parts and his time, but I really respect what he is doing and always click on his bikes for sale just to see what he's done now. I get that, but to build a bike for yourself then try to make a big buck on it? No, I'm not digging it.

OK, I've rambled enough, if you're in this hobby for the money, be up front about it, I respect that the most.

It all depends on a person's situation if you ask me.

I'm not a hoarder...and I don't have the space or the funds to be one even if I wanted to. We're a modest one income family with three small children so the reality is, I should be spending ZERO on a hobby. As a result, this fun has to pay for itself.

My strategy is..buy them at a reasonable price, clean them up, enjoy them for a while and then sell them for as much as I can. I've got no problem wanting top dollar for my bikes because I know that they are usually nicer than most out there and I package my stuff like it's made of glass. I'm not really what you'd consider a "flipper", but I do know how to sell stuff when I need to. I also have A.D.D. with material objects so I get bored of stuff quick and want to move onto the next project.

I sold an extremely clean bike on Ebay once for quite a bit more than I expected too. I asked the guy after he received the bike why he paid what he did for it and he wrote me back..."I like nice things and I'm happy to pay extra for them."

I guess if someone has a lot of money to spend, what seems like a lot to pay may not be that much at all to them.

The market controls the value of this stuff. If it's hot and lots of people want it....cha ching.

It's always nice to talk to REAL bike lovers on here. Nothing I posted was directed at any ONE person from this site. Most everyone here realizes that building bikes is an art and more of a love than a profit thing. I too am a modest income family with a 4 year old. I try to build him one of a kind bikes hoping that he will love them for what they are. At least as mush as a 4 year old can.

My comment about buying cheap wheels and tired at Walmart was just to make a point. I realize they are not BMW wheels...BUT when you need to finish a bike and you can buy a complete bike for less than just a set of rims and tires costs...well sometimes the Walmart bike works great. And honestly....the quality is not all that bad. The rims are decent.

Anyway....i find it amusing to say the least to read some of the ad's that have been run trying to sell bikes or parts quickly because of money problems. And let me just say this...coming from a guy that doesn't go to church....i thank GOD for what i have in my life. A wonderful wife that puts up with my crazy bike building( probably cause i build her one every other build) ..a great little boy and 2 incomes that allow us the freedom to do lot of things. So my point was i dont wish for hard times on people so i can profit. I have never answered an ad to gain from others suffering. But if you NEED to sell fast take a look at what you are asking

Maybe i should start looking for someone to pay for my hobbies. Anyone want to donate to a photographers camera and bike fund????? I take all cash...ha ha

I have the opposite of A.D.D. with my bikes. After I pour time and blood into them, I have trouble letting go. At shows people always ask what I want for a bike or bikes. Usually I don't even try to think of a crazy price. I just say that I just have it to ride around. That usually leaves people very unsatisfied because they have it in their head that I will at least give a price so they can either jump on it or complain about it being too high a price. I don't even give them that. At the last show someone asked me about a bike, and the guy set up next to me said "Good luck getting him to get rid of anything." I was just there to enjoy the company of like-minded people, and I don't sell unless it's to clean some parts out of the basement. Unfortunately I need a mandolin now so selling might become an option. Oh well, take a loss in one hobby to enjoy another.

I pretty much know what the local market can handle. And anything that is special, ebay is probably a better place to list.

My Moto is price to sell.

Then again, I sold this for $450. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Picture034.jpg

First of all it would be nice if Arizona had such things as swap meets or other avenues to trade sell or buy bikes and parts. For such a HUGE area, Arizona has ZERO to offer anyone in this hobby. The last so called swap meet was more like a " bring your useless junk and all stare at each other " meet. That was part of why i started this post. People there trying to sell junk Orange Krates for $500. And im not even into those but holy my smokes.

Sad part is we have a guy up the road about 35 minutes on the way to Payson Arizona. He is in a little place called RYE. This JUNK YARD is so big that when driving up the hill on the freeway all you see is this shinny glimmering mound of Bikes and steel. He has everything. Sitting outside in the sun and dust. It's his Museum he calls it. There is everything you can think of yet NO WAY can you go in there and get parts. Unless you want to pay 10 times retail for the stuff. It's a bike lovers worst nightmare. Kinda like the letting a kid sit outside the candy store and telling him NO NO NO.

BUt thats the way it goes right??? And I hope everyone takes all this talk we are doing as being light hearted and fun too. This is just a fun hobby and no stress. If it were perfect everyone would do it.

I have been able through EBAY to find a ton of good stuff. Just got a head badge from Jones & son for my JC higgins. Also just picked up an Evel Knievel BMX seat and a sticker set from way back when. Going to customize a Schwinn Scrambler into an Evel Knievel BMX. I knoe..dont do it to that Scrambler right??? Well worse comes to worse when he is done riding it I will turn it back to what they are supposed to look like

Most of mine are kustoms and the market is down for such things. Some of mine i wont sell like the higgins. Was offered ummmm a lot and turned it down. Money goes but i still got the bike

naturephotoboy3 said:
Sad part is we have a guy up the road about 35 minutes on the way to Payson Arizona. He is in a little place called RYE. This JUNK YARD is so big that when driving up the hill on the freeway all you see is this shinny glimmering mound of Bikes and steel. He has everything.

Hey I remember seeing that place when I went up to Payson about 2 years ago. Its crazy how much stuff he has out there. I remember seeing alot of old Honda ATC's and parts too.

Exactly...from reading a few websites this BIKE JUNKYARD up in Rye is quite the talk. I guess Jay Leno buys some motorcycle parts from him. Or at least there is talk that he does. So that probably means he doesn't. Even if the guy did start to get off sitting on these bieks forever most are probably so messed up it wouldn't be worth having them. No problem though. Part of the fun with bike building is the hunt for parts. They are out there, just have to find the few sane people in this hobby and get to know them. If they have decided to set aside their egos and get real it makes for a very nice experience. I recently started to look for Evel Knievel decals and seats for a BMX I am going to build. Ebay is full of auctions..AGAIN some dont sell. So what I have found is wait until the auction ends without a buyer...contact them and buy it for a decent price. The decal set i just bought was half the price that it was listed on Ebay for. Same with the seat. Got the seat for 30 and it sold on ebay for 69 or some crazy price.

The stuff is out there...if we could all be patient and stop going crazy with the auctions and all the other over priced deals things will settle down and get back to reality.

The "Sum of the parts" will always be more than the whole.

Sentiment / Supply and Demand / Builder quality and Reputation

These 3 things can never be measured on a sliding scale.
==============================================================================

If it appeals to me, I will pay more than the guy standing next to me,
so that I can have it.

Nuff said :wink:

peace,
Kev.

Latest posts

Back