Colson Tandem

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I recently bought a Colson rear steer tandem, It is in riding condition but I am looking to refurbish it. Take a look at the pics and hopefully someone here can give me the rundown on it as far as what parts are correct and what isnt.

012-7.jpg

017-4.jpg

014-5.jpg

008-9.jpg

004-13.jpg

002-15.jpg

001-16.jpg

So as you can see from the pics, I am missing the chainguards, the headbadge, the front pedals are wrong, the front seat is wrong, the rear seat is a woman's, not sure on the fenders?... Ive seen these bikes with the peaked versions and the rounded version. anything else??

On that rear seat... It sure looks like a woman's seat to me, any ideas if its a Troxel? I will be looking for a matching Men's seat.

021-1.jpg

019-3.jpg

018-3.jpg

I am starting to gather parts for it, so if anyone has any leads... let me know!

thanks!!!

udallcustombikes said:
Talk to Steve and Uncle Larry. They will point you in the right direction.

I planned on doing that, but I know Larry's tandem dont have peaked fenders. Im sure since Steve just finished with his... he should know most of the details.

I would like to know if that saddle is a Troxel or not? or if its even correct to the bike???

If you decide to take the fork apart please take some pictures for me. I have a frame but will have to fabricate something in the fork department.

Sweet Bike Mitch! Good luck on your parts quest! Can't wait to see it completed. 8)

Ok it appears to be a August 1938 from the H8 code I uncovered.

022.jpg

I also found out it looks like it came from the factory as a GREEN bike, with several repaints since then.

023-1.jpg

And I took a closer look at the Torrington #8 pedals, REALLY good shape!

024-2.jpg

After seeing the bottom side of the fenders it appears they really dont look original, thats ok though, I have a line on a pair of peaked fenders that should work just fine :wink:

The reason Im calling it a refurbishment... I will re-do the bike as best I can, using parts that if not 100% correct... will be at least "period" correct. so it may not be "Pure" but at least it will be as close as I can get it with my budget. I may even go back with the green!

Any Ideas what that long spring saddle is?

Well the add there on the heavy duty says Messenger no. 1 and it looks close to the seat on the tandem so I'd guess it's a Messenger saddle.

1071037456-3994-16553-550564-742-19.jpg

Guess what I found in Garnett on the way home from Lawerence today.. a Colson sftr tandem. We like to take the long way home and stop at antique shops. But we were in the car, so Sunday we are making a bonzi run to pick it up in the van. Its not as nice as Ratfink1962s, but for the $$ its a good start for a sftr rat tandem. Pics will come later.

you know that has to happen!

Hey BTW... anybody have a decent pic of which headbadge this thing should have?

it was built August 1938 so Im not sure if it takes the Rounded Colson badge or the Winged version?

thanks!

Just wondering how the tandem is coming along I just found this old post and was curious. I recently picked one up and they sure get a lot of attention when ridden solo.

I am still in the parts gathering stage, once I get everything together I will do a mock up to make sure everything fits as it should. Then blow it all apart for repaint, chrome, etc.

Sure seems like there is a lot of these out there, they must have been pretty affordable back in the day, pics of yours???

Latest posts

Back