BUILD OFF #7 DISCUSSION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do have a couple of friends with the tools and skills that have offered to teach me real quick. I'll be taking them up on it since there's no time like the present to learn! It's funny how shortly after my last post I talked to a couple people and they all said "bring it over.....I'll show you how to do it". Guess its a sign.....

My daughter just told me there's a co-op she can join that has a whole shop to use, and they are installing a sandblaster and have have a plasma cutter! Then she can take me in free as a visitor. I've got a tandem frame, along with my build off bike frame that can put that to good use.

inshane64 said:
Chips_Mahoy said:
I don't have a welder and I can't weld

This build-off is about pushing our skills as builders as much as it is about making a bike.

Learn new things: lace up that rim, use two stage auto paint, fire up the welder (we even have a builder using the lost art of brazing this year).

If you don't have a tool buy, borrow or rent it. Car clubs and bike clubs are excellent for making a network of friends the have skill sets and tools that no one person has.
I agree. People saying they want powder coated stuff on their bikes id say paint them now then have them powder coated after the build off. I painted my front rim on my build with 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of rustoleum rattle canint and its holding up better then the other rim on the bike that was bought painted. Trust me I don't have all the cool stuff to do some of the stuff others on here have but I going to push my skills to try and compete with the guys that do have the tools

If you have something special in mind for your build that doesn't fit within the rules, then maybe this is not the bike you need to be building for this build-off. For the money you spend, powdercoating is a great bang for your buck, but even if everyone could afford it, not everyone has a local source for having it done (and sending off to one of our sponsors might suck up valuable time and extra money).

I am currently building (counting in head...) 6 bikes. We are a bike building community, I hope we all don't *only* wait till this contest to build the only bike we'll be building all year.

I just learned that a guy I know just bought a powdercoat setup and a large oven and offered to do things free for me, I'll get some stuff done by him, but nothing for my build-off, I knew the rules for this months (years) in advance.

I'm having fun again and nothing will stop that now, so if anyone wants to "bend" the rules, just be forthcoming and I'll ignore you while I stay true to what I set out to do, build myself another bike to enjoy.

yoothgeye said:
I hope we all don't *only* wait till this contest to build the only bike we'll be building all year.

hahaha This comment was directed right at me... :wink:

You should have said...

I hope we all don't *only* wait till this contest to build the only bike we'll be building all year like Double Nickle does. He must be insaine for only having one good riding bike..(and 7+ Bmx bikes)... :roll: :wink:

Sorry for the disturbance guys. All I want is paint that will not chip. Anyone know any good rattle can techniques or any good protective clear coats?

Double Nickle said:

You should have said...

I hope we all don't *only* wait till this contest to build the only bike we'll be building all year like Double Nickle does. He must be insaine for only having one good riding bike and 5-6+ BMX bikes... :roll: :wink:

Sorry for the disturbance guys. All I want is paint that will not chip. Anyone know any good rattle can techniques or any good protective clear coats?

I wasn't thinking about you because I consider all your BMX building as bike building as well. In my counted ongoing build right now 2 of them are BMX bikes. I was just saying, this "contest" should be a convenient time for all of us to throw something together within the allotted time and rules for the build-off, if its about something bigger, like making a bike to sell or being super concerned about daily abuse, then like I said earlier, build that bike outside of the contest and another one to be in the build-off.

We're just all flappin' our gums in here anyway, I should be outside welding right now!

yoothgeye said:
Double Nickle said:

You should have said...

I hope we all don't *only* wait till this contest to build the only bike we'll be building all year like Double Nickle does. He must be insaine for only having one good riding bike and 5-6+ BMX bikes... :roll: :wink:

I wasn't thinking about you because I consider all your BMX building as bike building as well. In my counted ongoing build right now 2 of them are BMX bikes. I was just saying, this "contest" should be a convenient time for all of us to throw something together within the allotted time and rules for the build-off, if its about something bigger, like making a bike to sell or being super concerned about daily abuse, then like I said earlier, build that bike outside of the contest and another one to be in the build-off.

We're just all flappin' our jaws in here anyway, I should be outside welding right now!

Well Said Well Said!

Well im not going to brake the rules so it will be a tossup between rattle can or bare metal. :D

Double Nickle said:
Well im not going to brake the rules so it will be a tossup between rattle can or bare metal. :D

Bare metal gets lots of attention on this website and is easier to powdercoat *after* the build-off if you still want it done. :wink:

yoothgeye said:
Double Nickle said:

Bare metal gets lots of attention on this website and is easier to powdercoat *after* the build-off if you still want it done. :wink:

It will be bare metal until the bike is almost done, then I will think of paint options/leaving it bare. Too many mock ups and test fits needed for any kind of paint now. It would be a mess come August...

Double Nickle said:
yoothgeye said:
Double Nickle said:

It will be bare metal until the bike is almost done, then I will think of paint options/leaving it bare. Too many mock ups and test fits needed for any kind of paint now. It would be a mess come August...
Thats really not a bad idea, (must make note in head), I have had last minute stuff bite the paint,its not fun.

Well no one was opposed to me finishing my last years build, so I will start on the 25th. Im so excited to get started again, It kills me every time I walk in my shed to see the forks i did just hanging there. Thanks again guys for the support.

Double Nickel, if your going for either black or white you might want to check out the appliance epoxy paint. It dries really hard and does not scratch to easily. And you dont need to clear coat it.

skillsthebarber said:
Well no one was opposed to me finishing my last years build, so I will start on the 25th. Im so excited to get started again, It kills me every time I walk in my shed to see the forks i did just hanging there. Thanks again guys for the support.

Double Nickel, if your going for either black or white you might want to check out the appliance epoxy paint. It dries really hard and does not scratch to easily. And you dont need to clear coat it.

I'm not Double Nickle, but... noted! Thanks.

That's why I like the Color I picked for my build if it gets scratched oh well just hit it again with a can of rustolium flat black. Which I always have around the shop, its the only flat black I will use. Once you figure out curing times for rattle can paint it can be a good way to coat stuff. If you use rattle can paint and want to clear it put it in a dry warm area to let it gas off for atleast 3 days.

skillsthebarber said:

Does that come in flat black?

found something similar

http://www.skygeek.com/tempo-a150-f...ck-epoxy-propeller-paint&utm_campaign=froogle

stylespilotshop_2205_2204905422

At SkyGeek, we carry products designed to make your expensive aircraft parts last longer. We offer fuel additives to keep your engine clean and aluminum finishes to prevent corrosion. To protect your propellers, try the Tempo A150. The Tempo flat black epoxy paint stays on the blade for more hours before another coat is needed. For your convenience, the Tempo A150 dries in just one to two hours! Recoat within the first two hours or after two weeks.
This coating provides heat resistance up to 180 degrees Fahrenheit. Its abrasion and corrosion resistance will impress. In addition, use this epoxy propeller paint as a paint adhesive. Protect and enhance your aircraft's propeller blades with our Tempo A150 epoxy coating. Tempo's coating products include primers and protectors that customers love. Try this affordable aerosol product in a single 12-ounce canister or purchase an entire case to keep handy in your garage.

Is it my imagination, or are people really pushing it with the frame mods this year?

You've probably heard of the theory I subscribe to....."Better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission" :D

If I enter, I bet I will not finish, But might enter anyway because I feel obligated.

I mean, what else am I gonna do? Schools out, no job...I need something to do...lol

May enter my American Flyer I bought back from stretch a while ago. We will see!

Latest posts

Back