Shapleigh Wonder: This is RAT to me...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, here is the pre-war Shapleigh Wonder bike as fixed up as I want it right now. I think this bike would be good brought back to original, but until then, I did some rat work on it to make it FUN. It runs great. A real well-made old skip-tooth bike.

What I did:
Cleaned the crud out of entire bike. Most of the grey washed off, and a lot of the black paint chipped away to reveal some red, and some white on head tubes. I wanted the white shapes a little more prominent, so I redid the white shapes (with paintbrush) changed a little, and then scuffed them up a bit...

Put old-school chrome triumph/BSA seat springs on seat, old ones were shot, turned seat post backwards (i'm tall) painted stuff on seat pan, then beat it with a chain to make it look older like rest of bike.

Took some beach cruiser bars, cut about 6 inches off each end, flipped and added some old waffle-looking BMX grips...

Got front fender to match back fender from CCR (thanks man!). Painted a little, and added white stripe. Added old crusty mudflap to back, painted red around skull.

Cleaned up head badge (brass maybe?).

Cleaned up & tried to straighten back rack thing as best I could - BUT decided to leave off bike!

Went ahead and used paintbrush to add some red and black accents throughout. All PAINT was done wit a brush to get that old-school rat look...

The things on back wheel hub are old knobs off tractor controllers.

Made custom headlight with horn, doorbell and flipswitch...

Made custom decal plate behind wheel.

Painted words & red stripe on whitewalls! I lOVE THIESE!

wonder_01.jpg

wonder_02.jpg

wonder_03.jpg

wonder_04.jpg

wonder_05.jpg

wonder_06.jpg

wonder_07.jpg

wonder_08.jpg

wonder_09.jpg

wonder_10.jpg

wonder_11.jpg

wonder_12.jpg

wonder_13.jpg

sweet!!!!! like the placement on the rear plate and the fenders on a board track bike(so thats where the original torringtons i was looking for went!!!!!!!!!! :wink: )

nice bike yet again KP !! filler between the seat post and rear wheel looks perfect, tires are a nice touch too. looks like youve went over everything and didnt miss an ratty inch. :D

Latest posts

Back