Easter weekend luck.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
last week, my family and I were traveling from Wichita, Kansas to Beaumont,Texas to spend Easter with family. We were pulling a uhaul trailer to bring back some things we had left behind in our move to Kansas. While passing through Oklahoma City, at about 2pm on Friday, I spotted an overloaded Toyota pickup with what looks like a HUGE pile of scrap iron. As we get closer, it looks like he has a couple bikes strapped to the top of the pile. We're doing 70 down i35, but my curiosity is getting me pretty good. So I slow to his "turtle" pace, so I can check out his scraps. Well, nothing too appealing on the top, but there was this pink 20 incher on the back of the truck. It looks like this was something that he just picked up to add to his scrap weight. I looked very hard at this bike. But surely it wasn't. As we passed the truck my son said "dad, is that what I think it is?" ...

It was.

I'm doing 70.
He's doing 45.
I35.
Traffic.

Well, my trailer was empty. I was in no hurry. I looked over at the wife. And she gave me the "go ahead" nod.

Teamwork folks.

I'm looking in the mirrors for traffic. My wife is looking for blinkers to see where he was turning. And my boys are gauging speeds so I don't leave the guy behind, or crowd him either.

We ended up exiting at who knows where and I get caught at a fresh red light with the guy behind me. I hopped out as fast as I could and said "I'll give you $40 for the bike on back". He signalled me to the gas station across the street.

10 minutes and $40 later I have a mid 80's pink performer in my trailer...

Pics soon...

439aeb33.jpg

This is right of his truck. I am cleaning it up later this week.
-john

Latest posts

Back