rusted chain

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
What is the quickest way to remove the rust from this chain? What is a good product to remove rust with?

IMG_2027.jpg

I use this stuff called Evapo-Rust, ph balanced non-toxic stuff, Autozone is listed as a dealer but I bought it online

http://www.evapo-rust.com/

I used it on a bunch of stuff I showed in my RBBO2 build thread, it works great. I got a skip tooth chain from my current Rollfast build in the tub of it after I soaked it in lacquer thinner. I just keep using the same batch in the tub shown in the thread supposed to be good for about 300# of lightly rusted steel.

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3422&start=0

Gotta agree with Vic...1/2" chains are cheap enough to not even waste your time trying to save a crusty one.

If you like the patina,you can buy a brand new brown colored chain.(I did)

To remove the rust, a wire brush would be the way to go.

Maybe dry at first, then again with some oil or WD.

Soak it in some oil (put it in a bag and squirt a bunch in there) work it around, spray it off, repeat if needed.

Don't buy a new chain, that's no fun. (though you may want to carry an extra if riding any distance on this old one...)

punch block of wood and a hammer. don't drive the pin through all the way just enough to twist link so as you can get the rest off

Chimichanga,

I don't think they like their chains. But seriously working with the old bikes it's good to have some rust removal stuff around, I've had the same tub of this stuff and just put the cover back on, dip something in when I need to. Here's the skiptooth chain from my Rollfast build I'm doing 60 years worth of rust gone, just removed it from the evapo-rustall the links nice and free and you can even see the diamonds in the links(brand). Almost looks like rust to the left but it's the flash.

IMG_0647.jpg

the evapo rust looks like good stuff. I have a skiptooth that has been sitting in degreaser/wd-40/starting fluid that could use some on that.

Latest posts

Back