Let's see your Pashley Guv'nor style bikes!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
003.jpg

my Swift Path racer (not finished yet)))

BezO said:
Beautiful bikes in this thread! I've been unknowingly looking for a Gov'nor style bike/frame for some time. Finding the Gov'nor then searchin for Gov'nor style bikes is what led me to this sight a while back. I'm hoping you all can help me find something without having to build up a vintage frame.

Baron von Zach said:
This is probably the closest to what I'm looking for. What I want is a lugged frame with 1" steerer, track-ends, room for at least 700x40 tires & maybe fenders. I want to run internal gears and front & rear brakes, either calipers or drum.

Outside of the Gov'nor, I only see this type of bike built with vintage frames, like in this thread. Is there anything on the current market that meets my needs? I'm in the U.S., so something that can be found here would be best.

Thanks!

Well, the most characteristic aspect of the real Guv'nor is the 'relaxed' frame geometry. The only companies in the world besides Pashely, that still build frames with this Geometry, are either in India, or some less developed countries in the far east (The Chinese 'Pidgeon' comes to mind). But only the Pashley combines both - the old-fashioned geometry AND Reynolds 531 tubing.
Hence, realistically, you either have to buy a genuine Paheley, or start from something 'vintage'. I can't see a disadvantege in the latter anyway. The only alternative would be to obtain a bike from India or China, with rather unpredictable quality.

Baron von Zach said:
The only companies in the world besides Pashely, that still build frames with this Geometry, are either in India, or some less developed countries in the far east (The Chinese 'Pidgeon' comes to mind).
And Gazelle. That's Dutch, normal bicycle steel, nothing special, good enough.

So if you are trying to build a do-it-youself 'Pashley' I guess you 'need' the relaxed geometry, etc. or it just isnt 'proper'?
Hmmmm.....
RatRodBikes...Built not Bought.
Ive seen a few here that are on mtb frames and redone roadie frames, etc., and with the 'proper' bits, a la, Pashley, that look, and Im sure ride, very good! If I still had my mtb frame I'd be doing a conversion for sure and not be embarrassed to ride it anywhere.
Take what you've got or can get at your price level and build one. Later on, if you find a 'better' frame, move your bits; but JUST DO IT, and take pics for here :D .

gcrank1 said:
So if you are trying to build a do-it-youself 'Pashley' I guess you 'need' the relaxed geometry, etc. or it just isnt 'proper'?
Hmmmm.....

There have been superb Guv'nor-style bikes posted in this thread which were built from all kinds of frames. There is no 'proper' or 'improper'. There is only style, and attitude.

However, one of the genuine Guv'nor's most outstanding attributes is the 'relaxed' geometry, which was largely abandoned by the Western bicycle manufacturers after the 1950s, but which prevailed "behind the Iron Curtain" for much longer. I envy the Germans, who seem to have a never ending supply of those frames, thanks to the reunification with East Germany, where bikes with this frame geometry seem to have been built until the late Eighties.

C.S. said:
Baron von Zach said:
The only companies in the world besides Pashely, that still build frames with this Geometry, are either in India, or some less developed countries in the far east (The Chinese 'Pidgeon' comes to mind).
And Gazelle. That's Dutch, normal bicycle steel, nothing special, good enough.

Yeah, I forgot the less developed countries in the West... :mrgreen:

Baron von Zach said:
However, one of the genuine Guv'nor's most outstanding attributes is the 'relaxed' geometry, which was largely abandoned by the Western bicycle manufacturers after the 1950s

i agree that the geometry is important, but as for them not being available since the '50s is to miss the current cheap and plentiful (and plain good) raleigh atb's. imho this sort of thing would make a good govn'r type

http://www.togglechaintour.co.uk/?FOR_SALE&pic=8&page=0

hubgearfreak said:
Baron von Zach said:
However, one of the genuine Guv'nor's most outstanding attributes is the 'relaxed' geometry, which was largely abandoned by the Western bicycle manufacturers after the 1950s

i agree that the geometry is important, but as for them not being available since the '50s is to miss the current cheap and plentiful (and plain good) raleigh atb's. imho this sort of thing would make a good govn'r type

http://www.togglechaintour.co.uk/?FOR_SALE&pic=8&page=0

I couldn't agree more. Guv'nor style is one of the nicest styles for any lugged frame, regardless of the geometry. Look at the non-Guv'nor bikes I posted in this thread hitherto, both were built from frames literally found at the tip and none of them have the relaxed geometry. And look at all the other superb builds in this thread, while we are at it.

I agree with Baron von Zach.
For me guv'nor style is relaxed geometry with rear "bottleneck" frame with track dropouts only.
You can made stylish bike on road frame, but it's compromise.
But it's only my opinion.

Thought to be early 1900's Peerless frame with Rollfast headbadge, added a 700c wheelset, repop saddle and bag.

1295d834.jpg

6df24a52.jpg

Added kerosene lamp by Columbia.
2ef4828a.jpg

Baron von Zach said:
BezO said:
Beautiful bikes in this thread! I've been unknowingly looking for a Gov'nor style bike/frame for some time. Finding the Gov'nor then searchin for Gov'nor style bikes is what led me to this sight a while back. I'm hoping you all can help me find something without having to build up a vintage frame.

Baron von Zach said:
This is probably the closest to what I'm looking for. What I want is a lugged frame with 1" steerer, track-ends, room for at least 700x40 tires & maybe fenders. I want to run internal gears and front & rear brakes, either calipers or drum.

Outside of the Gov'nor, I only see this type of bike built with vintage frames, like in this thread. Is there anything on the current market that meets my needs? I'm in the U.S., so something that can be found here would be best.

Thanks!

Well, the most characteristic aspect of the real Guv'nor is the 'relaxed' frame geometry. The only companies in the world besides Pashely, that still build frames with this Geometry, are either in India, or some less developed countries in the far east (The Chinese 'Pidgeon' comes to mind). But only the Pashley combines both - the old-fashioned geometry AND Reynolds 531 tubing.
Hence, realistically, you either have to buy a genuine Paheley, or start from something 'vintage'. I can't see a disadvantege in the latter anyway. The only alternative would be to obtain a bike from India or China, with rather unpredictable quality.

Curious about the bike pictured. Is it a rebuilt bike or production model? Sillgey Cyclery has a similar bike called the Piazzaz listed on Amazon.com. It has fair parts spec, but no reviews and the company doesn't respond to requests for information. Amazon hasn't been to cooperative either. Just curious if anyone has actually bought one of their bikes. Their web page and Facebook page have a lot of cool photos.

MazdaFlyer said:
Curious about the bike pictured. Is it a rebuilt bike or production model? Sillgey Cyclery has a similar bike called the Piazzaz listed on Amazon.com. It has fair parts spec, but no reviews and the company doesn't respond to requests for information. Amazon hasn't been to cooperative either. Just curious if anyone has actually bought one of their bikes. Their web page and Facebook page have a lot of cool photos.

If you mean this:

pic010.jpg

It's a picture of my brand new, genuine, out-of-the-box Pashley Guv'nor.
It's soon going to be modified with 28x2 (50x622) Big Apples and a Duomatic rear hub.

The Sillgey Pizzazz is picking up on the theme, but it is not built the traditional way with lugged Reynolds tubing. There are several bikes out there now that mimick the Guv'nor, but it stands alone in its traditionalism also in respect to its construction method. It is kind of the Morgan of bicycles.

MazdaFlyer said:
Thought to be early 1900's Peerless frame with Rollfast headbadge, added a 700c wheelset, repop saddle and bag.

1295d834.jpg

6df24a52.jpg

Added kerosene lamp by Columbia.
2ef4828a.jpg

That thing looks great!! I have a very similar frame, but with different forks and the color is very close. I ordered some 700c wheels and white tirese from chimichanga. Should be on the way...and it'll look alot like your bike..

siberian said:
For me guv'nor style is relaxed geometry with rear "bottleneck" frame with track dropouts only.
You can made stylish bike on road frame, but it's compromise.

when i read that, i thought it will easily be disproved. and then this came along instantly.

this green one is perfect. i'm well jealous. :D

1295d834.jpg

Baron von Zach said:
There are several bikes out there now that mimick the Guv'nor, but it stands alone in its traditionalism also in respect to its construction method. It is kind of the Morgan of bicycles.

i'm not sure that's true, either. i suspect that people have been flipping the bars and binning the chaincase and mudgaurds of their roadsters for decades before pashley was even established. still, i wouldn't mind having one in my shed 8)

hubgearfreak said:
my opinion (if it's worth anything) is that it must have
1.relaxed geometry
2. hub gears or singlespeed
3. lugged steel frame.

tig welded aluminium with derailliers but with white tyres just doesn't cut it at all

Don't mention the ghastly D-word...

I can't afford a Morgan either :roll:, but Im sure Id like one. I can 'build' a Guv'norish something, but not a Morg.
To me, the topic line says it all,'Pashley Guv'nor style', not copy, knock-off, repro, etc. To some, I guess, it means one must start with certain technical aspects and to others it means 'the look'; ie, what you bolt onto a dbl. triangle frame. To the latter Im sure someone will say,"why bother" if you dont start with the 'right' frame? My answer is,"because I can".
FWIW, this spring I took my 2yr. old Trek 7200 and made it 'English style'; Brooks, Northroad bars, tool bag, PlanetBike black plastic fenders (decent substitute, IMHO, for Bluemels), etc. It looks, rides, feels very nice, and is somewhat a throwback compared to the modern standards, but hey, there are good reasons why those bits have endured. THEY WORK, just as well now as then. It is not a DL1, but is comfy, upright, 700c wheels and is mine.
I admire a classic as well as anyone, and appreciate modern incarnations of them, and certainly dont begrudge anyone acquiring the ne plus ultra of whatever they can. But if you cant afford one, make as close to what you want with what you can!

hubgearfreak said:
i'm not sure that's true, either. i suspect that people have been flipping the bars and binning the chaincase and mudgaurds of their roadsters for decades before pashley was even established. still, i wouldn't mind having one in my shed 8)

I'm referring to the lugged construction by hand using Reyolds 531 tubing for the Pashley.
Just try to find another frame today, that is made from this material, in this way, with this geometry, for any kind of money south of totally bonkers.
If you look at the Sillgey Pizzazz for example, it has neither of these attributes.

gcrank1 said:
I can't afford a Morgan either :roll:, but Im sure Id like one. I can 'build' a Guv'norish something, but not a Morg.
To me, the topic line says it all,'Pashley Guv'nor style', not copy, knock-off, repro, etc. To some, I guess, it means one must start with certain technical aspects and to others it means 'the look'; ie, what you bolt onto a dbl. triangle frame. To the latter Im sure someone will say,"why bother" if you dont start with the 'right' frame? My answer is,"because I can".
FWIW, this spring I took my 2yr. old Trek 7200 and made it 'English style'; Brooks, Northroad bars, tool bag, PlanetBike black plastic fenders (decent substitute, IMHO, for Bluemels), etc. It looks, rides, feels very nice, and is somewhat a throwback compared to the modern standards, but hey, there are good reasons why those bits have endured. THEY WORK, just as well now as then. It is not a DL1, but is comfy, upright, 700c wheels and is mine.
I admire a classic as well as anyone, and appreciate modern incarnations of them, and certainly dont begrudge anyone acquiring the ne plus ultra of whatever they can. But if you cant afford one, make as close to what you want with what you can!

+1

Everybody should build what he wants and within the budget he is willing to spend. It's the spirit that counts, not a certain attribute or detail.

Latest posts

Back