Dupli Color

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I bought this paint thinking it would look good on my frame. Its really thin and won't
cover anything. So I bought some other. Today I was playing with this stuff and sprayed
it on a chrome rim. Its called Metalcast and the color is red anodizing. I just wiped the
rim with windex and let it dry for a minute. Sprayed it and man it looks good. I could scrape
it off pretty easy but it might hold better when it has been on there a while. It looks good.
The picture doesn't do it justice....this stuff is beautiful and really shiny.
DSCF0001-113.jpg

Markm was the first to try it and I like it so much I did it on my Swinger Special. I painted over the chrome rims and seemed to hold alright. I can't say now as I sold the bike a while ago.

JTA_0244.jpg

It does look good. I was thinking maybe over a gold base coat on a frame would look good.
I may try it on some wheels on a future build. Those on yours Clancy look awesome.

I was thinking about doing some ghost flames or something with it over my red metal speck
but I was afraid it wouldn't show up at all.
Your purple turned out really good.

I used it to match an old chainguard for my son's '99 Apple Krate. One light coat and then a heavier wet coat over a white base did the trick. I did notice each coat makes it much darker. (Took me four tries to get it right)

Paul one of your frames has already had this treatment. I used metalspeck silver followed by some coats of metalcast purple. This frame was huge and made it a little tricky to spray. You have to be a little more careful and try and get the coats even. For a spray can job it makes for a surprisingly deep paint job. Unfortunately this bike got a little banged up the last time I moved. I guess it's about time for a face lift.

DSC06108.jpg

DSC06102.jpg

kram said:
Paul one of your frames has already had this treatment. I used metalspeck silver followed by some coats of metalcast purple. This frame was huge and made it a little tricky to spray. You have to be a little more careful and try and get the coats even. For a spray can job it makes for a surprisingly deep paint job. Unfortunately this bike got a little banged up the last time I moved. I guess it's about time for a face lift.

DSC06108.jpg

DSC06102.jpg

I still want that bike!

I think the Metalcast was used on several build off bikes, mine included. I've also used it on a number of other bikes, and I've used it in most of the colors that it's offered in. I can tell you this - they claim that it is intended to give polished or plated metals an anodized look, but I don't think that there is any special formulation to actually make it adhere to chrome plating better than any other paint. Like any paint, it adheres best to a surface that's been prepped for paint, by scuffing or whatever. It's tough to do that with chrome effectively, and doing that on polished aluminum destroys the polished surface. Consequently, when you do put it on these surfaces, it is highly scratch prone.

On my build off bike, I sprayed the Metalcast over bare steel and aluminum parts. I avoided doing any polishing. In fact, I wirebrushed and sanded them a bit first. That also gave the parts a bit of graining to the surfaces, which shows through the paint. They do sell an "Adhesion Promoter", which is essentially supposed to be a clear primer. But in my experience, it doesn't help much on polished metals. The paint system works best if applied over Duplicolor's Ground Coat base paint. It has a heavy metallic silver finish, and sprays on rough enough that you don't have a scuff sand it to apply the Metalcast. If that is, in turn, applied over their self-etching primer, it makes for a pretty durable finish, at least as spray can paints go. I always put a clear coat over the final color layer; lately I've been using only the urethane-based SprayMax clear. Taken all together, you can get a pretty good looking, reliable finish. It might not be quite automotive grade, but it's good enough to have people compliment.

The trickiest part is getting the color to go down evenly, since it does darken with coats. That does allow you to make it darker or lighter, depending on preference, but it's tough to match other parts to. You can, however, "tune" the shade by applying over different color base coats. You don't have to use the silver, I sprayed the purple (which is fairly red-tinted) over a light bluish purple base to get a bluer shade of dark purple for a result. Just watch what types of paint you mix with. Metalcast is enamel based, IIRC, and won't play well sprayed over laquer.

Latest posts

Back