inspiration you are metal and rubber...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, after woodworking for quite a while, I needed something to get me thinking creatively again. I stumbled onto this site early this week and I'm now 1 day away from picking up a '60s Holiday??? and I have a sweet old leather Brooks saddle in the mail from eBay too. I think the first go round is going to be a simple, flat black frame, debating on keeping the fenders on right now. Might put a drag bar on it, but I'm torn seeing some of these flipped over handle bar styles, I'll let the bike lead the way like I've done with the wood working in the past. With that and some simple red rims, white walls, just kind of a classic thing. I'm sure I'll go bananas from there, maybe I'll build a woody or something like that...

So anyway, nice work to everyone building bikes on here, I'm very impressed and inspired to start making some cool new rides. Not like I need another addiction, but you've opened my eyes to some very cool new ideas... and besides, my garage only has 3 bikes in it right now, it looks a bit EMPTY!

One for me one for my lady, two for me, one for my hommie, three for me...

-DS

Hey MagicRat, cheers.

yeah... got to love the Simpsons.

So any tips for paiting metal? I've done plenty of varnish and stains on wood, but don't know anything about metal. What rattle can brands work best? # of coats? Any good flat clear coats out there?

Thanks.

disco stu likes disco music ! (disco stu doesnt advertise) :mrgreen:

welcome, sounds like your addicted already :lol: as far as rattle cans go, i like krylon fusion but hoenstly i always get gloss cause i like shiny stuff i guess :roll: , for bare metal frames use an etching primer, if its got good paint already save your self some time, just sand it down good and use the same brand primer as the color your using.

DiscoStu is working pro bono... CCR, thx

looks like paint is original, so I'll prolly do some lite sanding and skip the bare metal. I'll take this discussion over to the how too forum.

DiscoStu is out!

welcome aboard, are you a don hertzfeldt fan? i noticed your photo was from his cartoon, i love him :D

and i love the simpsons :p

as far as paint goes, i've been grabbing auto paint from a local auto parts store, and it does the trick nicely, if im in walmart though rustoleum always does the trick for me :p

welcome aboard and glad to have you :)

It's OK DiscoStu,Come on man,All your friends are doing it.Bikes make you cool man.Don't you want to be with us? HA HA,Welcome aboard dude. Your addictions are welcome here!Don't forget the pics,We love em!

thanks for the welcomes everyone! I just picked up a 60-somethin Huffy Impala out in Stillwater MN today, I'll take some snaps and get em up over in the bike build borad soon.

Joshua85 said:
welcome aboard, are you a don hertzfeldt fan? i noticed your photo was from his cartoon, i love him :D

and i love the simpsons :p

as far as paint goes, i've been grabbing auto paint from a local auto parts store, and it does the trick nicely, if im in walmart though rustoleum always does the trick for me :p

welcome aboard and glad to have you :)

Joshua- Yeah, I'm a huge fan of don hertzfeldt, been following him for about 5 years or so. more to the point I'm a big fan of original animation. Thanks for the paint tips, just got some cans of rust-O and some other bits and peices. Let the insanity begin!

Yeah Don Hertzfeldt! I am an animator myself and am pretty stoked on his work. Have you been to any of the "Animation Show" events? They've had it a couple different years at an art theater in Rochester where I did my animation schooling. Cool stuff.

Latest posts

Back