BSA motorcycle inspired first build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I almost forgot to add a photo. Because of concerns about the downforce on braking and the new position/extension of the rear caliper I added this brake stay. It's untested at the moment so may require some tweaking once the bike is roadworthy..OR it may not work at all?! :lol:
2012-11-11124349.jpg

Will

Next RRB of the day, in progress here :D
love the seat, its cool when people fabricate them into the frame 8)

This thing is killer! I like the new tank better and truss/ suspension is great. If you find the brakes are not working so well you can weld some salvaged brake posts on the chain stay and have a better chance at some stopping power. I did that on my Typhoon.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=33442&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=75

iven said:

Thank you! From the excellent quality of work I've seen on this site I'm gonna take that as a massive compliment! 'Though I would reserve your judgement 'til I've finished this build :lol:

XC204 said:
This thing is killer! I like the new tank better and truss/ suspension is great. If you find the brakes are not working so well you can weld some salvaged brake posts on the chain stay and have a better chance at some stopping power. I did that on my Typhoon.

Thanks for the link, I've just taken a look. Love what you did with the rear brake and foot pedal! 8) .Dunno how I missed that build? It just goes to show how much is on this site, I've barely scratched the surface with what I've seen so far.

Cheers, Will

Here's a little update (photos) from this weekend. I've been feeling something was still missing from the front forks and always liked the look of triple tree forks. So, I cobbled these together, although strictly speaking they're not triple trees :lol:
2012-11-24145829.jpg

2012-11-25120027.jpg

What do you guys think? I'm not sure whether to leave them on as they seem to overcrowd the front end..hmmm (strokes chin)

Will

I think I like just the raw girder fork without the add ons they seem to detract from the simple look of the fork and hide your work and ideas.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

iven said:
Agree! Just remind ourselves guys, this is a first time build!! Pure genius!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk

Boris said:
iven said:
Agree! Just remind ourselves guys, this is a first time build!! Pure genius!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk

Hahaha, thanks Boris. This is far from genius though, MonsterMetals "Mad Hammer" is genius..that bike is in a league of its own! 8)

P.s Hope your birthday party went well this weekend? :wink:

tin machine said:
nice job very inventive , good fab work :!: :!:

Bodge Deep said:
Fantastic stuff

blackchop1 said:
yup i love it.

iRide Custom Bicycles said:
Great work!!

Thanks fellas, much appreciated :D . I do feel like a bit of a cheat though, 'cos at the end of the day I've got a degree in Design. That said, making/creative 'stuff' is all I've ever been any good at..which is probably why I'm still as skint now as I was 20 years ago! :lol:

XC204 said:
I think I like just the raw girder fork without the add ons they seem to detract from the simple look of the fork and hide your work and ideas.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
XC204 said:
You really got the look going!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. I still think they need something extra added to give them that true girder fork look though?
I spent ages looking at those bikes before starting this build. I'm trying to only take certain elements of design from them though, rather than try and build a "replica". I don't think I'd ever get it right if I did that?

Will

Fantastic fabrication. The saddle and fork are amazing.

I would buy some new pads for your brakes. Kool Stop makes nice ones.

cman said:
Fantastic fabrication. The saddle and fork are amazing.

I would buy some new pads for your brakes. Kool Stop makes nice ones.

Thanks cman. I'll take a look at those Kool Stops. With regards to the saddle I'm not quite sold on it. I'm now thinking more along the lines of a bobber style saddle.

Well, I started working on a bobber style saddle after all.
2012-12-01145551.jpg

I also added something "extra" to the downtube, I never quited like how straight it was. All the extra tubing I've added came from an old clothes hanging rail, so I had to make do with a curved section from that. I'm undecided whether or not to keep this add-on open tubing or plate it in?
2012-12-01145757.jpg

2012-12-01145708.jpg

I bought a couple of compression springs this week to try something out on the "girder" forks. I think XC204 was right about those rubber "shocks" detracting from the rawness of the girders but i still feel there's something missing. So I'm just messing around with these extra springs at the moment to see what I can come up with? :lol:
2012-12-01145610.jpg

2012-12-01145641.jpg

2012-12-01145628.jpg

Also bought these decals from Ebay. Can't decide whether to run with these or the prewar tank decals?
bsastickers.jpg

Will

Fantastic thread matey, loving reading through it!

Is there enough strength there at the top of the springers if they're mounted to the stem?

I think it's great to see the progress you're making :D :D

Doormandean said:
Fantastic thread matey, loving reading through it!

Is there enough strength there at the top of the springers if they're mounted to the stem?

I think it's great to see the progress you're making :D :D

Cheers mate. Erm, I'm still unsure about that stem mount for the springers with regards to strength? I've been thinking about adding an extra supporting bracket for that. Mind as you can see it's still in progress and evolving all the time, so any ideas from my fellow ratrodders are more than welcome :D

Will

Latest posts

Back