1928 Elgin motorbike street racer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My last three projects have been 24X3 fatties, so I've decided to go a completely different direction and build a 700c street bike. I've always wanted a vintage bike that I can really put some miles on, so when Don (Flat Tire on CABE) offered me a great deal on this project, I figured let's do it. I might be a little slow building at first as I am still finishing up the WF jet bike.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=65946&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

So, anyway, on with the pics....

Here she is in all her glory. The patina is a bit past "prime", but I've decided to leave it as is. Thought about painting it flat black, but we'll see how this goes.

The stem is a little tall, but I am going to wait till final assembly to decide what to do. The seat is an old Mesinger. The bars are a set of Torrington's I got from Don. Going to run them flipped with grips on the end and up near the stem.

28elgin2.jpg

28elgin1.jpg

Since I am not using the skiptooth, I needed a new sprocket. Posted and ad, never found what I was looking for and while I was digging for parts for the Flyer, I found this. Honestly, it was exactly what I was looking for and it is 46t.

28elgin4.jpg

For tires, I wanted to go 700X40, but I also want this bike to haul butt, so I decided to try some WTB 700X32 "slicks". They have just enough tread to not kill myself in the rain, but should be super quick. If I don't like them, I'll use them on my commuter.

28elgin5.jpg

Finally the Origin8 700c deep V wheels that Chimi got for me. Coaster brake 700c....now that's cool right there. Flat black rims, spokes and hubs.

28elgin3.jpg

Very cool! I'm taking a similar approach on my '59 Schwinn Traveler. Hoping to stuff a 700x42 or so under the fenders, with a 3 speed coaster brake :)

GTV said:
Very cool! I'm taking a similar approach on my '59 Schwinn Traveler. Hoping to stuff a 700x42 or so under the fenders, with a 3 speed coaster brake :)

Is there a build thread on it? I'd love to check it out. I have a drop bar Salsa Vaya commuter/touring bike that I run 700X42 Conti's on sometimes. Usually I run an all terrain 700X37 though.

Terry66 said:
GTV said:

Is there a build thread on it? I'd love to check it out. I have a drop bar Salsa Vaya commuter/touring bike that I run 700X42 Conti's on sometimes. Usually I run an all terrain 700X37 though.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=65459&p=629141&hilit=Hangover#p629141
It has a few new additions since the last update, mainly a B17 and a custom seat post. I've got the 3 speed hub, still need to lace it up to some hoops, etc.

Terry66 said:
FINALLY....I'm going to start on this bike! Barring any major problems, I'm finishing it this weekend! Pics to come....
Can't wait! To see pics!
I so want to build on of these Old School 28" bikes with deep V's

Did a mockup tonight just to see where things stand and how things fit. I'm going to saw off the bars about 5" on each end and then wrap them with black leather. So far, I am happy with it. It seems to have a nice feel.

28elgin6.jpg

I got the bars cut down and wrapped. I like the way they look. I need to add the pedals, rear sprocket and chain and take this bad boy for a test ride!

I think I need a "worn" black tool bag to mount on the seat.

28elgin7.jpg

Latest posts

Back