Zenith quick build.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my friend Travis kicked me down this rad Zenith cruiser frame and fork. I had some wheels laying around, rusty white with a pinstripe and a New Departure coasterbrake. These wheels were gonna go on my Build-Off bike along with on old cast stem and some moustache-like bars but that build will take a different and more difficult direction.. I also had some fenders that I had done flames on years ago, and using them again is sort of the reason for the build. Who has built a bike around a few parts they really wanted to see on a bike?

Travis and I did some horse tradin'. I got this awesome frame and fork and a dogleg crank. He was looking for a skinny tire grocery getter and I had just the thing for him. A Schwinn Racer, originally a 3-speed, in blue with matching fork and chainguard. I kicked down a Schwinn bottom bracket, clover sprocket, and coveted Schwinn "Diamond" cranks because I had 4 of them. I threw in a seat post and seat post clamp as well.

I'm pretty sure I have a headset that will fit. I need to find a cool looking sprocket and some decent pedals. I will make a layback seatpost and I need a sprung saddle. But first on the list is some brass hardware for the fenders!

IMG_1813_zps8bc1e09c.jpg

Can't wait to see it done! I'm gonna go put the Schwinn together soon seeing as how today isn't a day to be out riding rusty bikes. I might have some brass fender hard wear out in the shop from a womans Zenith I have.

The Ace hardware down the street from me has an amazing selection of nuts and bolts. Standard, metric, brass, grade 8, allen head screws, etc. It seems kinda backwards to start with fitting the fenders but they are the "feature" and I hate fenders that rattle.

There are lots of bike shops here with used parts so I should not have trouble scaring up an interesting sprocket. I'll probably go new on the chain and pedals. I have a sprung seat with no upholstery and missing its springs but I think Ace Hardware can sort that out too.

I got it into primer last night and did some strategic sanding, then soaked a rag with used motor oil and rubbed down the frame and fork. Next step is to beat it with a chain to get some random scratches and chips in the paint. Then I'll soak it with a mix of sea salt and water. By tomorrow the primer will look 30 years old.

Re: Zenith quick build. NEW PIX

Got a lot done today. Added some faux-tina, fender stays painted, fenders mounted with all new hardware, and mounted the Zenith badge with self-tapping screws. The springs at Ace will cost more than a rusty old sprung seat, so I'm gonna hunt around for one. I'll be making a layback seatpost for this, the only real fabrication on the whole project.

IMG_1817_zps8081722e.jpg

Shiny.
IMG_1818_zpsade0c923.jpg

This build has not been without it's share of headaches. Someone had clamped a too small seat post in the frame, and someone else had attempted to open it up. I managed to get a Schwinn seatpost and a Wald shim to fit in there and clamped it down. Of course I had to find a keyed seatpost bolt, which I had in one of my hardware jars, but I still had to drill one side 1/64 larger and file the key a little to get it to fit. I won't even go into how much finagling it took to fit the fenders, but they don't rub and they don't rattle. All worth it in the end.

I am at the final assembly stage, even though there are more parts to be sourced and fabrication to be done.
IMG_1820_zps1b574233.jpg

IMG_1821_zps551a33fa.jpg

Thanks. I usually match the seat tube angle, but I wanted the extra drop and it matches the angle of the seat frame. I would like the seat lower, but I can't bring myself to chop this frame, as beat up as it is.

Just need to fillet-braze it and the bike is done. I have all the parts I need.

If anyone can direct me to some history of Zenith - Marshall Wells bikes I would very much appreciate it.

Very good looking build....I always like the look of newly painted fender braces on a bike with patina....nice mix of both old and fresh. 8)

Thanks. The flat black looked nasty. I used that silver paint because it looks like the cad plating on old Schwinn fender stays. I am hoping it holds up as well :lol:

Re: Zenith quick build. layback seatpost fab'd

Thanks Luke!

Up and riding. I ain't done yet, still gonna make a center stand.

IMG_1841_zps2f7a35ef.jpg

IMG_1838_zps23d6e9c4.jpg

Re: Zenith quick build. UP AND RIDING!

I dug out the generator that goes with the "Deluxe Sport" light. I tested the bulb (and the spare bulb in the holder inside the light housing) with my 120 to 12 volt transformer, and they were both good.

I have a working headlight now.

IMG_1843_zps6ec635b2.jpg

Re: Zenith quick build. UP AND RIDING!

Mudflap. I might detail the checkerboard flags with white paint.

IMG_1850_zps95a25e99.jpg

Thanks to my new friend Dan for giving up this Brooks B66.

IMG_1849_zpsca3d5a8b.jpg

I have a sidestand for now. I will be making a centerstand when I get paid on Friday.

Hey Luke, I just want to thank you for commenting.

Not sure why this thread is a ghost town. I am open to criticism as well as compliments.

It is just the current BuildOff SkidMark, it is hard trying to keep track of 100+ builds and still build your own, unfortunately the other builds tend to get ignored a little. It is a shame because some really great builds don't get the attention they deserve.

The other thing is people might miss out on great ideas like your seatpost that they could incorporate into the builds and might make their bike that much better... :( That is just the way it goes I suppose.

Keep it up, it is a beautiful bike.

Luke.

Latest posts

Back