Mob Rules - initial mock-up pics

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The plan is a 20" fixed gear Bianchi.

Ive had this frame a while but never knew what to do with it. I believe it is a 1960-something, either late 60s or possibly one of the first Bianchi city bikes? It has all the aspects of a regular folder but without the center hinge. I've never been able to find a picture of one like it.

I picked up a cheap Schwinn Exerciser and have been thinking of using the fixed gear wheel on a project. I've never ridden a fixed gear so this will be a new experience.
Following hipster velo trends, I plan on using an ACS 5 spoke wheel up front and the plastic discs on the rear. Everything chromed on the bike except the headbadge is terribly pitted and the frame has a bit of surface rust. I'm still thinking of paint ideas.

I've kind of mocked this up once or twice in the last few months anticipating the build off, and I stripped the frame down a long time ago so I will start with pictures of the initial mock up with just the parts I have laying around. Bars will definitely change.

---image placeholder---

I'll get some pics up tomorrow, I just wanted to get this started now because I started de-rusting bearings today.

these bars are just on here to have somewhere to put my hands when I sit on it. They will be changed once I decide what to do for bars. Not pictured are the plastic exercise bike wheel discs for the rear. taking them on and off increases the chances of the plastic cracking so they are put away until the bike is ready for paint and assembly.

I have no clue how to go about dating this thing, headbadge is the 60s style but I have seen this style headbadge carried over to early 70s bikes

the chainline is absolutely dismal. There isn't really a way to fix it at the back, and fixing in the front would require a square taper crank with the right offset and a smaller sprocket, which is not in the current budget right now.

Since it's fixed, Im thinking toe straps over platforms so these Sugino PD-1000s should work out great! still need toe straps.

The bike was originally purchased at Tramview Bikes in Palm Springs, CA. I google streetviewed the address and it does not seem to be there anymore and the number goes to some doctor's office. Maybe it could be dated on when California started including area codes?

I'm not too excited about a black saddle on this bike, but it's a Selle Italia Condor, Italian-made road bike saddle which is perfect. Plus, I already had it. It's a bit of a bum hatchet.

So that's where I'm at now.

To do list as of 5/2---

tires
tubes
bars
paint
?
profit!

there aren't enough threads to put a spacer behind the rear cog?

I was trying to think of a way to incorporate the fact that it's an Italian bike into the name without referencing a certain x-rated sylvester stallone film, and thought of mafia. mafia = mob, last years build off bike was named after a Black Sabbath song, so I decided to give the Dio-Sabbath some love too and call this Mob Rules.

Still thinking of a color scheme, I plugged the album cover for Mob Rules into colorhunter. Possible color scheme?
Black-Sabbath-Mob-Rules-Deluxe-Edition.jpg

(hopefully the link works)
http://www.colorhunter.com/browse.php?h ... dition.jpg

that's a bummer. and changing the spacers on the axle will put the rim out of center. unless you dish the wheel.

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
that's a bummer. and changing the spacers on the axle will put the rim out of center. unless you dish the wheel.

I might end up dragging it down to the local bike co-op and digging through the bins to fins something that will work better, but I'm digging the idea of 49/14 gearing that's on there now

deven_science said:
Put that Exerciser chainring on there. 65T will help keep you from pedaling too much. :)

I thought about it, but then I would have to put a one-piece crank in a three-piece crank bike and the chainline would be REALLY off!

To do list as of 5/2---

tires
tubes
bars
paint
toe straps
longer seat post, this one is only in the frame maybe 2" and I want it to not bend at the height it's at in the picture
custom stem that is taller and has a longer reach

?
profit!

any suggestions on relatively narrow (thinking 1.75? 1.5?) slicks that are cheap?

I love this. A U-Tube Fixie!

I went down to the co-op and found a cottered drive side with a sprocket that would allow me to adjust the chainline

with the smaller sprocket behind the crank, the chainline is perfect!

but it made contact with the frame, so I had to do the old heat-n-beat to gain some clearance

i still need to get the right size washers for the face of the crank, and the new drive side is a 170mm, and I had 150mm on it before. So now its back to the co-op for a cottered 170 non-drive side crank!

http://amzn.com/B003CGLI7I

since the rims I have are wide, I probably shouldn't go narrower than 1.75 on tires, and these are the cheapest 20x1.75 slick tires I can find. Still, with the tubes and shipping it comes out to $52.

Any suggestions on where to get something similar for less?

streetpirate said:
http://amzn.com/B003CGLI7I

since the rims I have are wide, I probably shouldn't go narrower than 1.75 on tires, and these are the cheapest 20x1.75 slick tires I can find. Still, with the tubes and shipping it comes out to $52.

Any suggestions on where to get something similar for less?

I've got something for you. I'll go out to the garage in the morning and get pics.

Latest posts

Back