CALIFORNICATION - Custom Western Flyer build.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: CALIFORNICATION - Inspiration!

love the head badge!!

Troy

Re: CALIFORNICATION - Inspiration!

Anyone know a good pin stripe-er in the Los Angeles area who would do my bike?

chilin-chillin-interview-daniel-rolnik-argot-ochre-art-pinstriping-pin-stripe-von-hot-rod-circus-2011-day-of-the-dead-skull-gold-tooth-red-orange-black-sparkle-600x338.jpg

Gotta get this thing going!

Re: CALIFORNICATION - Moooow Parts!

How did the glitter spray turn out? I used the krylon glitter blast on a frame and it turned out really fragile. I don't know if it was something in the glitter spray or if something in the clear coat acted as a solvent in the glitter spray. after it was all cured the clear and the glitter will chip and fall off leaving just the basecoat if it gets bumped

streetpirate said:
How did the glitter spray turn out? I used the krylon glitter blast on a frame and it turned out really fragile. I don't know if it was something in the glitter spray or if something in the clear coat acted as a solvent in the glitter spray. after it was all cured the clear and the glitter will chip and fall off leaving just the basecoat if it gets bumped

I hope that's not a consistent issue since I used glitter blast on my build as well.

mine chipped last night after something stuck to it while the clear coat was curing and i tried to pick it off. Not a happy camper.

I think the glitter is in a clear adhesive not a clear paint, so it creates a layer where the clear above it does not have a chemical adhesion to the base coat. It also took me 6 cans of clear to bury the glitter for a smooth finish. For what I spent on paint to get a "cheap" metal flake paint job I could have just bought a couple cans of Roth Rattlebomb flake

streetpirate said:
I think the glitter is in a clear adhesive not a clear paint, so it creates a layer where the clear above it does not have a chemical adhesion to the base coat. It also took me 6 cans of clear to bury the glitter for a smooth finish. For what I spent on paint to get a "cheap" metal flake paint job I could have just bought a couple cans of Roth Rattlebomb flake

I feel ya. I went through 3 cans of the glitter blast and 3 cans of clear, plus half a can of similar color base coat for the flake.

I sprayed some test samples this weekend. This brand of glitter spray came out like water! I had some areas with sanded gold base and some with un-sanded. It ran real easy if I put too much on. It wants to be super light coats. I'm letting it dry up to see if it wants to come off or stay on. Then see if I need to run the clear before the glitter drys or not :)

Re: CALIFORNICATION - Paint Testing!

Ok, It's turning orange! I played around with some different techniques the past week and think I might have figured it out. I layered the flakes and clears together before they were fully dry - this is what came out - I had to be real careful not to get any runs, and then I ran out of the clear orange (darn small can) just need to grab some more today! Then it is all about dumping on the clear!

I felt this metal or glitter was pretty tiny. The other issue was that it seamed more of the glitter was floating around in the air as it came out of the can and did not make it into the paint.......

Re: CALIFORNICATION - Shimmering Orange Metal Flake!

Got the metal flake (glitter) layed down today and covered with an other can of clear orange - this thing looks rad! Letting it dry tonight and we'll see how the humidity level is sunday to start on the clear.

I have all the parts I need to get this think built - just need to finish this nagging paint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thebigorangecat said:
Started to lay on the clear this weekend, going to need a few cans! The metal flake I used is coming out of the clear like a porcupine~! I'm wondering when to start sanding with out loosing the flake?

images

I used steel wool to knock it down after the first coat and it didn't seem to take much of the flake out. It didn't go all the way smooth and I've been too afraid to actually sand it but it looks pretty good with another 2 coats of clear on it.

Love the color but I'm a total sucker for flake. As for pinstripers you can't find one in LA? I'm in nor cal I could do it.

Latest posts

Back