Mongoose Beast Fat Bike build and ideas

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
null_zps2045f6af.jpg

New addition of my skate deck bananna seat. I did add some cushion and material but still needs a few adjustments.

null_zps4aeb49dc.jpg

Hey. Guys!
I haven't been on here for a while. But I just found out about this bike and I ordered one tonight! Excited to play around with it. I have a couple questions. I've read through almost all of these posts but didn't catch much on the cranks.... Can I though on any set of square taper mtb style cranks on the spindle? Is it a standard square taper? That's deff what I wanna do with a smaller chainring. Also where can I find a simple free coaster hub that will fit? I'd like to make it a basic single speeder without a coaster brake and hook up a v brake or something maybe a disc brake hub will work and ill rig up a mount for the caliper. M just looking for sources for parts . Thanks for any help! Love all the bikes!

BIGver2point0 said:
My question about the beast is this, what is the wheelbase in stock form? I've seen other measurements but no wheelbase dimensions. Thanks guy's.
I would measure mine for you, but at this time it is all taken apart to prep it for painting...

dracothered said:
BIGver2point0 said:
My question about the beast is this, what is the wheelbase in stock form? I've seen other measurements but no wheelbase dimensions. Thanks guy's.
I would measure mine for you, but at this time it is all taken apart to prep it for painting...
Thanks, I am considering purchasing a beast. Just trying to plan ahead and get some modification ideas in my head.
Perhaps someone that has a beast can tell me this tid bit of information. I am 6'3" tall, is the beast too compact for a guy my size to ride in the stock configuration? From all pics I see it appears to be a rather short bike.
As usual thanks for any information.

I plan to ride my beast on ice and snow next winter. I am also painting my frame soon and wondered about the small holes in the various tubes. Is there any reason why a person would not plug these prior to painting? I want to just put some hot glue in the openings, or something, to keep snow out of the inside of the tubes. Are these holes for venting gasses while welding? Thanks for any answers.

BIGver2point0 said:
I am 6'3" tall, is the beast too compact for a guy my size to ride in the stock configuration? From all pics I see it appears to be a rather short bike. As usual thanks for any information.
The frame is very short. You may want to consider a lay-back seat post to position yourself a bit further from the handlebars.
A number of us have noticed that your feet can rub the front tire when pedaling in a turn. Not a lot to be done except possibly shorter crank arms, but the Beast is so heavy, I doubt that you'd want to do that.

To address a couple of posts, first, I added a generic set of cranks from a cheap MTB that worked fine, using the spindle that came with the Beast. I use the middle ring, 34 teeth, 2 less than the 36 stock, it gives a good offroad gear ratio that isn't too slow for the street. Second, the laid back seat post is a must, I'm only 5'10" but needed the extra room to ride right. Got it here from slowriderz, good quality.

o9fp6o.jpg

I can't believe someone with a stock one hasn't chimed in with the distance on the wheelbase.
I could measure mine , but it won't tell you much. :lol:
DSCF0006_zps7649c497.jpg

BIGver2point0 said:
Perhaps someone that has a beast can tell me this tid bit of information. I am 6'3" tall, is the beast too compact for a guy my size to ride in the stock configuration? From all pics I see it appears to be a rather short bike.
As usual thanks for any information.
I am also 6'3". The frame is a bit small. I guess it all depends what you are used to. I would like to add a layback seatpost and a stem that puts the bars farther forward. That said, I have put a lot of miles on mine, and have had a blast, and have never banged my knees on the seatpost or anything, even while setting the world record for top speed on a Beast on level ground. :) I'm just trying to find a layback post that doesn't weigh too much and doesn't cost a fortune and is the right diameter. My wife steals all of my tape measures, so I am not able to tell you the wheelbase.

I just measured it. 14 inches between the front tire and rear tire. 44.5 inches between the axles.

Uncle Stretch said:
I can't believe someone with a stock one hasn't chimed in with the distance on the wheelbase.
I could measure mine , but it won't tell you much. :lol:

Thanks for the links to your fork and bike builds on the other thread. You ironed out the main wrinkles that make this bike less desirable. For the record, I liked the Stainless Steel color you had it painted in the video too.

MHF

Anyone know of any forks that can be used on the beast to allow for front disc brakes?

Gentlemen, I must apologize. Axle to axle on the beast is 44" (not 14", as i previously posted). I have no excuse for my incompetence, but now I understand why everytime I cut something to length, it is wrong.
And, Thursdays are my medication days.

bfelt said:
Gentlemen, I must apologize. Axle to axle on the beast is 44" (not 14", as i previously posted). I have no excuse for my incompetence, but now I understand why everytime I cut something to length, it is wrong.
And, Thursdays are my medication days.

Haha, no worries.

Latest posts

Back