Single Speed Mtn. Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just discovered we have an off road bike trail here at the local state park . Suppose to be fairly flat and scenic about 8 miles long. What do youguys think about taking an old mtn bike stripping it and replacing the wheels and hand brakes with coaster wheels from a cruiser usi g mtn bike tires ? Basically making an off road cruiser.

I would keep rim brakes and some gears. Why not just keep the rear gears and ditch the front derailer.

Plus if the MTB has vertical dropouts, a coaster brake will never work.

I ride super easy trails with c/b only, but a front brake is nice off-road b/c it increases control for turns etc. Also, c/b takes some getting used to b/c you can't backpedal to get the cranks where you need em. You'll get used to that quickly, though.

TBH, I think you're going about this backwards. Instead of making a mtb into a cruiser, just make a cruiser into an "mtb". Replace the slicks with knobbies, ditch the fenders, and put on a smaller gear ratio. These are a lot of fun on easy trails, and it'd be easier than converting the mtb to a coaster...

Bicycle808 said:
make a cruiser into an "mtb". Replace the slicks with knobbies, ditch the fenders, and put on a smaller gear ratio. These are a lot of fun on easy trails, and it'd be easier than converting the mtb to a coaster...

IMHO: I agree with Bicycle 808, Cruiser to MTB
I've tried to convert a MTB to coaster and the drop outs are substantially farther apart (due to multi gears)
Sometimes you can use a 160 axle but still might have chain line issues

Built my off road cruiser last winter to have something light, one speed, and fun
IMG_9420.jpg

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=65550&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Either way I hope you have a lot of fun with it! :D
Steve

Bicycle808 said:
I ride super easy trails with c/b only, but a front brake is nice off-road b/c it increases control for turns etc. Also, c/b takes some getting used to b/c you can't backpedal to get the cranks where you need em. You'll get used to that quickly, though.

TBH, I think you're going about this backwards. Instead of making a mtb into a cruiser, just make a cruiser into an "mtb". Replace the slicks with knobbies, ditch the fenders, and put on a smaller gear ratio. These are a lot of fun on easy trails, and it'd be easier than converting the mtb to a coaster...

I actually have what your talking about already. My old Good Vibrations has some mtb tires on it but still has fenders which I will keep. Gearing was lowered to 36/19 Rode it on a paved path yesterday. Its an old beater but great mechanucally so maybe I will try it and forget the mtn bike idea. I was wondering about the dropout spacing on the mtn frame and yes they are too wide for a coaster rim.

sounds great, but you really might wanna think about the fenders. Besides mud issues, fenders offroad sometimes get sticks caught between the tins and the rubber. This can cause a blowout front or rear, or a dangerous endo situation up front. I had a cyclocross-ish type of bike with SKS fenders on it; took it on a trail once and a stick got caught up front and may've been scary, but those fenders have front stays designed to come loose under those circumstances. Traditional fenders don't have this, and it's a danger you oughta be aware of before you make up your mind about it.

(Plus they're heavy. Weight doesn't really bother me, but it matters a lot more offroad...

This trail is suppose to be a mainly flat scenic dirt trail so I shouldnt need gears or anything fancy. Will know more when I check it out. Awhile back I sold the perfect on/off road bike a Next Laholla.

Depending on how old your MTB is, there are a couple of ways to convert it to single speed. If it has a five or six speed rear cog assembly, it is likely a threaded freewheel type and can be replaced with a single speed freewheel cog (like what is on BMX bikes). If it is seven speed or more, it is a cassette type and can be replaced with a single speed conversion kit (a single sprocket with some cassette spacers).

Single speed threaded freewheel
CS409C01.jpg

Single speed conversion kit for cassettes
155897862_single-speed-conversion-kit.jpg

In either case, if you don't have horizontal dropouts to sufficiently adjust the chain tension correctly, you may also need some kind of chain tensioner like this -

ss-chain-tensioner.jpg

You definitely don't want fenders on a trail bike, but there are mud guards designed for off road use

1322477165734-1pgqbu1syjin9-399-75.jpg

Keep the front and rear rim brakes. Coaster brakes are not very good for trail use, especially downhill (even a mild downhill).

Here's a great resource for info on single speed conversions... http://www.sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html

Thanks for the info about the freewheel hub I never knew about that. I am trying to make a deal with a lady on a 6 speed Huffy beach bike that I may try that on. She is letting a nice bike sit outside and ruin that will never be rode again. :(

Latest posts

Back