New Felt in Louisiana.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up people? I'm Al from Louisiana. I've been shopping for a nice beach cruiser for quite a few months and fell in love with the Deep 6 when I first saw it. It was a toss up between the Deep 6 and Electra Straight 8. Found a fantastic deal on the Deep 6 which was my first choice anyways. Unfortunately now I'm regretting my choice. The bike is beautiful and well built until it comes to the rear hub. Oh my god that hub is a POS. The bike is currently at my main bike shop I deal with and I'm hoping they can find me a better single speed hub and make it fit for me. Any advise from fellow Felt owners would be appreciated. Also I would like to swap out handlebars, any recommendations? This is a pretty cool looking forum and I'm just getting into the bike thing. Most of my customizing experience has been on cars, this is a whole new world for me and I must say it looks like fun.

Re: New Felt in Louisiana.

Welcome, what's wrong with the hub? Look into the flip bars like on the board track racers, looks cool on the deep six, the half moon bars look cool too.

The hub has thrown the chain ring at least 5 times on me. Just wont stay on for long. Lots of slack in the brake which doesn't work well either. Tried to get it set up correctly and it's not much better. It just seems like a really cheap hub on a really expensive bike. Hopefully my guys at the shop will hook me up soon. Really disappointed that I can't enjoy my new bike.

Sounds like you have chain line issues. Perhaps the rear cog has been flipped or swapped out for one with wrong/no offset, wrong thickness or hole size, and/or bad snap ring.

deorman said:
Sounds like you have chain line issues. Perhaps the rear cog has been flipped or swapped out for one with wrong/no offset, wrong thickness or hole size, and/or bad snap ring.
It has a pretty good offset ring already which seems to be lined up true. No snap ring though. The chain ring is held on by a ring nut that doesn't stay tight. I cleaned all the grease off last time and tightened it with a center punch and hammer and she still turned loose. I'm just hoping my bike shop can fit a normal shimano hub in that wheel. Gotta say the rest of the bike is pretty impressive. All other components seem like decent quality pieces. Even the seat is pretty comfortable. Makes a little noise but I'm satisfied with it. If they have issues finding a hub that will work, ill just upgrade for the Nexus 3spd I guess. The MP and 1909 have those so I know those will work. BTW, there's an MP and 1909 at Masseys in New Orleans for $499 ea. Just in case someone is looking. I really should have bought that MP instead.

New Felt in Louisiana.

the12volt said:
I just went to Massey's in Covington to purchase the MP that's on sale at the Carrollton store, but was told it was on sale for 699 and the 1909 is on sale for 599. When did you see them priced at 499?

Edit: BTW, welcome to the madness ;)

Cheers,
Volt
About two or three weeks ago. I picked up my Deep 6 for $549. The MP was $499 when I went. The Deep 6 was transferred to LSU store so I had to go get it there. Really should have picked up that MP instead. Wouldn't be having this hub issue right now.
Thanks for the welcome. Hopefully ill be riding soon.

I would go ride to Carrolton just to make sure. I can't see them raising the price back up just for the heck of it.

deorman said:
Didn't know you got it new. For 600 clams, a 1-spd bike should be close to bulletproof right from the box. :roll:

You would think huh? I decided not to take it back to where I bought it because even if they swapped out the hub/wheel/or repaired it, I would still be left with that really crappy hub. I got the bike $200 cheaper than I was planning on getting it for so I really don't mind paying my regular bike shop to hook it up right. As much money that I've spent hot rodding my car, bicycle upgrades are really inexpensive. Can't wait to get it back and start doing more to it.

rydr1 said:
You got a heck of a deal on your deep6. Sucks about the hub, hope it gets handled soon.
Well I'm glad I got such a good deal since its costing a little more to get it right. If I would have paid list price I would be really pissed. Should get it back this week.

the12volt said:
Where exactly are you in Louisiana?

Cheers,
Volt
Little town called Gramercy. I am in the center of New Orleans and Baton Rouge.

Latest posts

Back