Wal-Mart has a new 29er beach cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
No this is not the Genesis Onex 29er that I am tellimg you about tonight , but a Huffy Millennial 29er . I took pictures but cannot post them online from my so called "smart phone" . I liked what I saw , well most of it. It was metallic brown on a steel cantilever frame , very classic . As near as I could tell the gearing was a very standard 44t / 18t setup on a one piece crank . There was mount holes and screws to mount a frame pump and water bottle cage on the seat tube and all the standard trim like fenders and chainguard . The biggest problem I had looking it over was the tires, they are pretty much the same ponely tires that came on my onex . But these are color co-ordinated to match the bike in a styling plus that would be undone by upgrading , but they were on proper wheels not the deep v wheels found on my onex requiring extra long valve stems . The 29" tubes that can be bought at Wal-Mart will actually fit this Wal-Mart bike .

Upon arriving at home I attempted to look this bike up omline but just as when the Onex was new as well as the Super 32 it is not yet on Wal-Mart's website, but I
failed to find it om huffy.com as well . As their lay-a-way dept was closed for the day , before I left the store I swiped anything posted that said 29" or 29er so it would not be readily apparent what this bike is and it may still be there on Tuesday when I make it back to town .

I picked mine up for $89 .
They were so new they weren't in the store's computer system yet so the mamager gave it to me at the price of the Huffy Cranbrook that was on the rack . I haven't figured out what I am going to modify on it yet .

Walmart Norwalk Ohio, no one knows the price yet.

the color co-ordination of the brown and tan tires on the brown model is cool , but I am no big fan of those tires. Unfortunely upgrading those tires will undo a styling plus of the bike . They are basically the same ponley tires that came on my Onex 29er. Their rollimg resistance is a little tight and they love to collect flats , I would say they wear at average rates . I can live with the rolling resistance , it is not trrrible , I managed 75 mile day road trips on them , however rarely without patching a tube on a trip that long .

I bought the gray bike because it is so dull in appearance ,I've never seen a brand new bike in such a need of a paint job . I plan a full on custom paint scheme and probably build sone tanks to fit this frame with lights .

PapaLJ said:
Walmart Norwalk Ohio, no one knows the price yet.

Saw one today for 99 dollars and change. Welds are rough but a pretty clean looking bike for the price.

Walker said:
I've never seen a brand new bike in such a need of a paint job .

That's funny :D
The quality of the paint is okay. The graphic stickers area a bit flimbsey but that is to be expected. But the colour area so uninspiring

I'm actually consisidering a John Deere paint scheme on this ride. Only problem is that particular idea has just exploded in my head to a full on danger build that may just have to wait till the next RRBBO.

heya onex29er
judging by you're name i assume you ae familiar with these bikes
do you by any chance know anyone who builds cutom parts for these?
i wanna customize mine but cannot find suitable parts(fenders chainguard ect)
if you do let me know
thanks
sean

burrkrayecycles said:
heya onex29er
judging by you're name i assume you ae familiar with these bikes
do you by any chance know anyone who builds cutom parts for these?
i wanna customize mine but cannot find suitable parts(fenders chainguard ect)
if you do let me know
thanks
sean

as far as the chain guard goes it is not difficult to use the chainguard off just about any 26" bike with the fabrication of a few brackets. I'll get back to you with
info on fenders and other parts , I think i may have found a winner, but before I recvomend I want to make sure they are not losers.

sounds good man
the bikes a nice cruiser but it needs some upgrades im having bottom bracket issues and i would like to get better wheels and fenders to look good
thanks on the heads up for the chain guard i will see what i can come up with in my pile o guards i have
im thinking some surly wide tries and maybe a nexus hub type a deal? lol make the monster even bigger
actually gives me an idea for a new thread lol
thanks onex
sean

My local Walmart has one of these in a flat grey color with white rims - looks pretty good. No price tag on it. Steel cantilever frame, painted steel wheels.

burrkrayecycles said:
sounds good man
the bikes a nice cruiser but it needs some upgrades im having bottom bracket issues and i would like to get better wheels and fenders to look good
thanks on the heads up for the chain guard i will see what i can come up with in my pile o guards i have
im thinking some surly wide tries and maybe a nexus hub type a deal? lol make the monster even bigger
actually gives me an idea for a new thread lol
thanks onex
sean

I have had 2 of these Onex 29ers as my personal bikes. My first was stolen , my current bike I'm trying to replicate my first . I was impressed enough with these bikes that I have helped friends aquire one as well . Both of mine and quite a few of the others have had issues with their stock cranksets and,or bottom brackets. The bottom brackets never have enough grease, and are often assembled with poor bearing preload. The left crank arm seems to have a habit of loosening and falling off . I have been able to reuse the stock bottom bracket with the addition of lube and proper torquing . On both of mine I have used a sealed bottom bracket cartridge and alloy crankset. I get these parts mostly on ebay although the Shrum 48t alloy crankset I installed on my first Onex I got here in thr for sale forum , and I was happy with it . I have also found on ebay a reasonably priced 700c 36h rimset that I have been considering building new wheels .

However in the future when a non builder friend wants a 29" cruiser I will reccomend the Huffy, primarily because of the wheels and one piece crankset.

Here's the grey / charcoal colored version

photo_zpsf673718d.jpg

Latest posts

Back